How wide is your bag??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

How wide is your bag??

Post by ScotRoutes »

Further to a previous thread, it looks like I'll be going down the custom frame bag route. I was just wondering what sort of width folk were using. It strikes me that anything up to piss bottle width would be fine - as long as there was some way to stop the contents lumping together (dividers etc) and that some added width at the front wouldn't get in the way.
ianfitz

Re: How wide is your bag??

Post by ianfitz »

I have a very wide custom wildcat bag which is 9cm. It's a half bag and has cutouts for the shock too. It's not very deep and so can't bulge much. It works perfectly. No knee strikes :-bd

No reason you could have a deeper bag that wide. As you say would need to have something to stop the bulge.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Depends on the type of bike I think. I have a Genesis High Latitude with an Alpkit full frame bag. I went for the middle option (5cm) and a single big compartment with a surgeon zip. I have to be careful packing it otherwise it bulges out quite a bit and rubs my knees. Probably wouldn't be and issue on a fatbike wih wider cranks. If I was ordering again I'd get the same width but have two sections with a horizontal divider to keep it more contained.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

There's a pic here if you want to see the dimensions https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/ian_fitz/30868736403/
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Mine is 80mm wide and has a removable horizontal divider to keep things in check, but I normally remove it. It only really bulges if it is packed out with the likes of clothing etc.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Alpkit custom on the Vir Fortis. 8cm at the seat tube end going to 10 at the headset end. It has a strap that allows you to pull it in if needed, but I have never had an issue with it. They made it specifically so a mug pack would fit in it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cheers folks. I was thinking 75-80mm might be OK. I can see that a fatbike with its wider Q Factor would get away with that anyway. I reckon some sort of internal "non-bagging" fixture like a divider or strap means it should all work.

Message to Beth I reckon.....
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Mine has surgeon zips with a horizontal divider that velcros in. Works very well.