Advice and guidance reqd. - water carrying and frame bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Re: Advice and guidance reqd. - water carrying and frame bag

Post by Sarah »

Interesting ideas, thanks everyone. I am surprised not many have mentioned Stem cells https://www.alpkit.com/products/stem-cell-xl. I have made a couple which I find great, altho will be making some more variations soon. For UK that is ok, but if on holiday [somewhere warm and sunny] we have needed more capacity and just used a large soda or water bottle for part of the day/going into evening camp, carried in small temporary use backpack.

Saw Markus Spitz [?] who biked round the world and used a bladder in the top of his framebag, another solution.
Sarah
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Thanks all for the ideas so far.

steezysix - I'm not sure I fancy the idea of a bottle in front of me (though it's better than a frontal lobotomy)

Stu - that bag would just about fill the frame (and for £23 might be worth buying just for that - good spot!)

Shaun - I like your bottle-in-a-bag idea. If I go custom, that might be the route I take

ianfitz - as far as I can tell, the Shimano battery adapter does the same job as the Mount Skidmore

pickers - thanks for the photo!

frame top/seatpost mounts are already occupied. Putting something there would just relocate the storage problem (and I've little space anyway).

Bladder-in-bag is obviously an option though I accept it's harder to keep an eye on it and to refill it.

sarah - I already have a fuel pod on one side of the bars for longer trips. It's my on-the-go food store. I'm not convinced I want another, but it's a possibility, even if only for short distances (pre-camp)

One bottle plus a soft bottle sounds like another thing to consider if I can be organised enough. The only time so far that I've run out of water was when it was all frozen :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bit of a leftfield idea, but how about one of those massive bottle cage (e.g. Topeak XL) that can take a 1.5-2l bottle on a strap-on cage on the downtube, leaving you room for a small triangle bag in the seat tube/top tube corner? Chainring clearance could be an issue though.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Ian - What size is your Spearfish? Do you have a picture of it 'kitted-up'? Im pretty sure if I fitted a bottle cage to my small frame there would be no room left for any kind of bag.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:This is a worthwhile addition for anyone considering having a frame bag made. Works very well with the twin TT on the Stooge but I'm also sure it would work with more conventional frames.

Who made that bag? It looks like a Wildcat from the two tabs at the back. Is it simply an extra Velcro strap with a plastic loop to double it back?
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

whitestone wrote:The lower bottle is mounted using DMR clamps http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dmr-hinged-clamps-1/ which I might try on the seat post but the diameter might not be right.
Bob - I'm guessing they the 34.9 ones? Looks a good bet for my solaris so I can use a half frame bag...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianpv wrote:
whitestone wrote:The lower bottle is mounted using DMR clamps http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dmr-hinged-clamps-1/ which I might try on the seat post but the diameter might not be right.
Bob - I'm guessing they the 34.9 ones? Looks a good bet for my solaris so I can use a half frame bag...
I'd have to check but I think they were the largest size - I just put the calipers on the tube and took whichever was the nearest. Used them to drop the bottle mount enough to clear the half-frame bag. Got a few jobs to do in the morning so will check then.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Who made that bag? It looks like a Wildcat from the two tabs at the back. Is it simply an extra Velcro strap with a plastic loop to double it back?
Yes, it's one of Beths finest.

Bottle held in place by additional velcro strap. The buckles are an aside and allow for the carrying of poles, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've been using the elite plastic straps to create an additional bottle mount on my Solaris. Has been bullet proof

I use a mount skidmore adaptor to move the other one down too

The elite straps are a couple of quid I think
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Yes, it's one of Beths finest.
Was that retro fit or custom order?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

So, a supplementary question;

Does anyone use larger bidons (800/1000ml) and, if so, could you please let me know how tall they are?

TIA
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian - yes the tube and clamps are 34.9mm so grab a pair and you'll be good to go.

Now just wondering if the 28.6mm clamps would be OK on a 27.2mm seatpost with a shim or if something else would be more suitable
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

There are dedicated seat post bottle cage mounts available, but they are a touch costly.

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=302

I used to use some on an old frame with no bottle bosses. I also had to use an elastic strap around the top of the bottle as it bounced out once but luckily the rider behind me noticed.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

The SIS 1l bottle and the 800ml are both 23cm main bottle height, plus 2cm I guess for the nozzle.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Was that retro fit or custom order?
Custom bag for the Stooge.
May the bridges you burn light your way
cousinmosquito

Post by cousinmosquito »

Apologies for my water bottle OCD, but I have a phobia of running out of water : )
First photo is from the Kiwi Brevet, and the next one, the Tour Aotearoa.
In the Kiwi Brevet I used radiator clip mounts. In the Tour Aotearoa I used the insulation tape technique.
This technique was great EXCEPT in the top-tube position, where over time (while at stops) my right leg gradually forced the bottle to the left, causing me to unconciously ride bow legged. It took me 3 days to figure out what was causing the pain in my left quad. I would have no qualms with using the bottle on the top with the radiator clips again. My frame is small though, so I have pretty good clearance.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

What about smaller water bottles and a WildCat Ocelot which is perfect for carrying a water filter.

Ask Beth if she can make you a stream lined version like this one that I use with shorter bottles and if needed use side bottle cages

Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

Much prefer a bladder in the framebag than bottles - my frame's so weenie I can't fit two bottles but I can fit a 2 litre bladder which can last me 6-8 hours - I use an Osprey LT bladder with the hose exiting out the front and secured to the stem with the magnetic clip.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Handle bar bottle cage secured to the (long) steerer tube by jubilee clips, for filth-free mobile refreshment. Recently added a chalk-bag thing on the left-hand side for food. Handling is still fine.
2 litre water bottle squashed into the bottle cage and secured with velcro around the down tube.
Green-lid bottle contains the tool kit & spares; mounted in a bottle cage and secured to the frame using Elite plastic bottle cage holders (5 years so far - they really are surprisingly durable).
Trend-settingly large mudguards to keep the slurry at bay.
It all works and stays in place.
May you always have tail wind.