Bearbones Fatfighters Club...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

NorwayCalling

Re: Bearbones Fatfighters Club...

Post by NorwayCalling »

Moder-dye wrote:No 'one last binge' here and no hang over either as I don't drink :grin:

Damage limitation for me means enjoying the few meals out I've got arranged and being sensible in-between. After Xmas I'll be back on my fitness pal tracking food and exercise and basically cutting out any crap with lower carbs and intermittent fasting.

Same here, not going to waste the social side of (already bought and paid for) Christmas. Sensible then life changing in the new year as it seems to be the natural order of the world
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

intermittent fasting is Fantastic for weight management and great overall health and well being :-bd ive just come off a 4 day fast and feel great other than the fooked back, Lol
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:This is a really good read; the journey to a plant based diet by Sonya Looney, elite endurance mountain biker.

http://www.sonyalooney.com/single-post/ ... -Mentioned
Thanks for that, really enjoyed reading it. It's a shame that most meat eaters would rather stay in the dark, than read through that and some of the great references that she links to towards the end.
atk

Post by atk »

Have you read Eat & Run? Similar story, good references for diet and ultra(running) + a handful of recipes. Can post a copy once I've written them out if you want.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

mountainbaker wrote: most meat eaters would rather EAT MOAR BACON
FTFY

Om, nom, nom
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

ScotRoutes wrote:
mountainbaker wrote: most meat eaters would rather EAT MOAR BACON
FTFY

Om, nom, nom
Aye, by the Pack :-bd ha ha ha ha ha :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

There's bacon? Sold.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

something else for you perusal :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Heinrich_Warburg

Cancer is fed by Glucose.
Last edited by Lawmanmx on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Anyone a fan of Dr Jason Fung?
Well worth a watch. Fasting is free and it doesn't matter if you're plant or meat based. https://youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE
atk

Post by atk »

Lawmanmx wrote:something else for you perusal :) http://www.getholistichealth.com/41832/ ... curing-it/

Cancer is fed by Glucose.
You realise that article is just clickbait?
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Bugger :/ just google Dr Otto warburg for the info instead, .... sorry ;)
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Yep there's a lot of evidence about glucose and cancer. There's also an increasing body of evidence that raised IGF-1 (Insulin-like Growth Factor) levels promote cancer growth, there's also a lot of crap on google trying to discredit it. Recent studies have tested meat-eaters alongside vegans who have the same protein intake in their diets, and meat-eaters have significantly raised IGF-1 levels. It'll be interesting to see where future research in this area leads.

I don't eat any refined sugars at all, or honey. Just dates or date syrups in baking. Better taste, less stomach acidity etc.

Another interesting area to be aware of is trying to stick to a high-alkaline diet. We go for about 80% alkaline foods.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... afa5f7.jpg
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

benp1 wrote:
Lawmanmx wrote:LMAO :lol: when i say i Live it, i TRULY live it
Well you certainly were

Those floating globules of fat and that 'fatberg' bit of lard that you were trying to break up.... there's no appropriate smiley... I think that it would have come straight up if I'd tried that!
I'm so glad I didn't see that or I would have instantly lost some weight - totally gross!!!

For those of you own strict, 'clean' diets (subjective, I know), how do you get on when 'touring'? Does the impact of processed trail food make you feel really bad?
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

i carry mine with me ZDB, you would be surprised at the small amounts of high fat foods that can sustain long days in the saddle, as i said earlier, ive just done a 4 day fast with no energy loss :)
plus, most cafe's sell bacon eggs n cheese :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

mountainbaker wrote:Another interesting area to be aware of is trying to stick to a high-alkaline diet. We go for about 80% alkaline foods.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... afa5f7.jpg
I pretty much exist off things in the highly acidic list, and I feel fucking amazing...

...except if I don't get my coffee. Don't talk to me if I don't get my coffee.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: For those of you own strict, 'clean' diets (subjective, I know), how do you get on when 'touring'? Does the impact of processed trail food make you feel really bad?
I've only been plant-based for ~4 months, but previously was already very selective about what I ate. On Tour Divide, I ate utter sub standard for the whole race, there isn't much else to choose from. I felt like crap, but I think I would have regardless, and it was more to do with exhaustion than anything else. When touring, I can take more time to find the food that I want, or buy ingredients so that I have more control over what I eat. Basically, if it is readymade, I avoid it, if it was made in a lab, I avoid it.

I think Greg has the right approach to this, eat what you can/are willing to when racing to sustain yourself, and go back to your 'normal' diet as soon as you can.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Richard G wrote: I pretty much exist off things in the highly acidic list, and I feel fucking amazing...

That's pretty subjective and in a narrow timeframe. I feel pretty amazing if I smoke a ciggie or a joint (both of which I used to do a lot), but long term, well...

Day to day, I still have good and bad days of feeling crappy, but that shifts with workload, work stress (clients being PITA) etc. But the real difference comes when I ride/run, and also in recovery. Of course, it's all very subjective, and I don't doubt that people doing diets that are almost direct opposites of mine like Ketogenic diets etc, can also perceive very similar benefits. Probably a lot of it is psychosomatic, and the rest just a general change in food intake. For me the difference is in the evidence that animal based protein has a strong link to all the major diseases of the western world. See the "China Study" by T. Colin Campbell for more data...
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Glucose is heavily controlled in my diet for obvious reasons, no added or refined sugar in my diet at all. Mostly eat low Gi foods, though higher Gi is chosen intentionally sometimes to help with keeping insulin levels steady, as my injections are fast acting, sometimes faster than the food!

Exceptions to this is for treating hypos, where either dextrose or pure glucogen is used, or the occasional treat. Unlike some I only have a treat every 12-18 months!

When exercising then it changes, I need much more carbohydrate to keep my sugars up, far far less insulin, and most of my bulk calories come from dairy fat (easier to stay down than meat)
I'm fully an advocate of high fat, low/no carb after what ive learnt, but just not suitable when on daily insulin injections.

One food ive started using as fuel lately, which I would've been scared of a few years back is Chocolate. Easy to eat, full of calories and fat, slow burning and quite low in sugar if you know what to buy. Just don't expect it to feed your sweet tooth, 90%+ cacao is bitter as all hell!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

as with Any diet changes, the True benefits/pitfalls can only be really be full assessed when the diet has been fully adhered to for a lengthy period of time, i only truly found the full Keto benefits after my first year to 18 months, i have also seen two close friends health deteriorate, weight gain and depression from a Vegan diet, so im convinced that some ways of eating just simply don't work for all people, its a matter of finding your own way (but be truthful to yourself) and stick to it to find out its full benefits :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

mountainbaker wrote:
Richard G wrote: I pretty much exist off things in the highly acidic list, and I feel fucking amazing...

That's pretty subjective and in a narrow timeframe.
How narrow? I've had the same style diet since I started lifting / properly endurance training... and that's about three years now.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

how old are you now Richard? because at our younger years our bodies can 'Tolerate' lots of foodstuffs that aren't necessarily good/beneficial to us or our health and performance (we just 'think' they are) i used to really love mushrooms BUT a blood marker test showed me that they really didn't like me! since i cut them out lots of small things corrected themselves physically for me :)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That would be nearly 40. Been a while since anyone described me as young. :|
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

From my reading around it would seem that for health you either need to go low carb high fat or high carb low fat. The danger area being the murky processed middle ground that is more common.

Low carb high fat doesn't need to be meat. Sami Inkinen (run on fat doc.) and his wife rowed California to Hawaii on LCHF/ketogenic diet, he eating meat and her being veggie (possibly vegan but I can't remember) . His diet for 2750 mile row was dried ground beef, dried salmon, coconut butter, nut butter, dried veg and fruit, macadamia and almonds, parmesan cheese, dark chocolate and cacao nibs. I can't remember what his wife has instead of the beef and salmon, probably avocados and more seeds and nuts than him.

I think high carb low fat does pretty much tend to be vegan/veggie though. I've been veggie and vegan for many years in the past, but found that I always ended up eating for too much wheat and wheat based products which really screw me up. Much as I would like not to eat meat it a diet with animal products and fats seems to suit me better.

When it comes to performance though, a race situation, most LCHF athletes seem choose to take extra carbs for the high energy boost they give for efforts/hills etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The danger area being the murky processed middle ground that is more common.
Very true. I generally think - if it comes in a packet, I shouldn't really be eating it whether it be animal or vegetable.
May the bridges you burn light your way
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

To weigh in on the environmental argument against meat...
Yes, as a collective, we consume far too much meat & dairy, but there are huge expanses of land that are bugger all use for anything other than hardy grazers like sheep, goats & deer. Agriculture is already energy intensive & fighting the land increases those costs, therefore using land for what it's good for is more sustainable than squandering good growing land on beasts, and trying to grow on hill farms & hard to work land, and ending up with poor crops or losing soil & seed. (The current wasteful status quo is unlikely to change unless eating habits or subsidies change and make sustainable land usage financially viable)

The bigger picture is that eating more veg & less dairy, and being more selective about our meats is probably the way to go for both our health & looking after our habitat.

Anyway, good luck with the weight loss pals & remember that yoyo dieting is sub standard so find a way of eating that works for you & you'll be happy to stick to indefinitely :)