Bearbones Fatfighters Club...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: Bearbones Fatfighters Club...

Post by Ian »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:This does seem to be the problem with Slimming world style diets, my wife
Has been following it on and off for many years and to be fair maintains her
Weight but is still heavier than where she wants to be, interestingly enough
On holiday a couple of years back we tried the VK diet, in a matter of days
The weight was dropping although it's somewhat hard to follow, finding a
Decent Kebab and drinking Copious amounts of Smirnoff at lunch can be
Frowned upon......but the weight was dropping, obviously the Kebab meat
Was fresh chicken/lamb with salad etc :roll:
Not at all related to the topic of the thread, but I love the way you write your posts as a kind of prose :smile:

As you were :wink:
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Belated I'm in too (likely from the New Year in anger). Currently around 107kg @ 190cm tall (I guess ~17 stone and 6'3" in old money) and aiming to be in the mid/low 90s again. I have managed this before a couple of years ago using MFP with a 600-700 net calorie deficit per day and basically improving the quality of what I was shovelling in. Not working offshore anymore so hopefully a bit more control on portions and choices. More time on the bike needed too and have a few goals for this year to aim for as a bit more motivation :-)
EDIT: Aiming to lose the weight of my kit for the Cairngorms Loop this year so effectively carrying nothing extra ;-)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Why thank you Ian, it's just the way it comes out I suppose, and Norway
Calling,I'm going to be sticking to the change I hope, I've turned my ride
Frequency round and know I'm getting fitter,just need to sort out the fuelling
Now.....he says after eating pate,crackers and cheese washed down by
laphroaig, reading a certain Mr Barter's book, well,small steps and all that :grin:
breff
Location: Lancaster.... "Not the Yorkshire, Not the Yorkshire!"

Post by breff »

Well,I made a positive start today. Only the one tube of Pringles after the Belly pork and roast veg' dinner.

I know the perfect dietary, not a fad but a life time, method, "Eat less, Move around more". I've been off the bike and all but housebound this past five weeks, so..!
At the pace of sailing ships and bicycles.
RIP

Post by RIP »

'Only the one tube of Pringles' :lol: . Once you pop you just can't stop. The paprika ones are the worst for that. Enormous fat content of course, it's a wonder they don't just drip off the plate. They're 2-4-1 round the corner at the moment.. arg..
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I really ought to commit to this, but I'm not going to - not formally at least.

I am, however, going to follow a simple path of eating a bit less and riding alot more. As I've mentioned on another thread, I did around 1/4 of the mileage in 2016 that I did in 2012 so that badly needs to change. Let's see how we go.

Fortunately, I don't like Pringles....
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

RIP wrote:'Only the one tube of Pringles' :lol: . Once you pop you just can't stop. The paprika ones are the worst for that. Enormous fat content of course, it's a wonder they don't just drip off the plate. They're 2-4-1 round the corner at the moment.. arg..
Not sure if this is true but I remember being told a story that when Pringles brought out their "lite" versions many years ago it was not possible to reduce the fat content due to the production process. To achieve two products with different fat contents they therefore re-badge "old" Pringles as "lite" versions whilst adding more fat to the now "regular" ones.

Probably an urban myth but never let the truth stand int eh way of a good story :wink:
breff
Location: Lancaster.... "Not the Yorkshire, Not the Yorkshire!"

Post by breff »

RIP wrote:'Only the one tube of Pringles' :lol: . Once you pop you just can't stop. The paprika ones are the worst for that. Enormous fat content of course, it's a wonder they don't just drip off the plate. They're 2-4-1 round the corner at the moment.. arg..
I was going to go without but the local "Wilko's" had 'em at 95p a tube. None left now but I'll maybe have a few on Christmas day, in front of the telly, after the traditional Christmas day ride/Pootle.
At the pace of sailing ships and bicycles.
ton

Post by ton »

I managed to get in a 40'' waist pair of jeans this morning. snug like, but still got in em.

I am eating fat to lose fat, and it seems to be working.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

id like to join in on the fat loss,joined the gym all ready and go swimming 3 times a week,im 6 foot 3,weigh 19.5 stone built like a rugby player but enjoy riding my bike
want to loose belly fat so i can wear my base layer on its own in the summer and not have to breath in all the time lol.currently trying to eat a high protein diet but struggle trying not to eat a packet of biscuits when i feel low cause im a fat basto
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

ive found that anything that tastes nice is bad for you like chocolate,biscuits,beer.
good things that taste bad sprouts,water,herbal tea. what we need is a list of food is good tasting but healthy
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Just joined zwift for some turbo motivation. And did the FTP test last night (235w)

Certainly won't be able to do much outside with the current weather.

I love sprouts, sadly also love biscuits and crisps! Luckily don't drink booze.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Been following this thread with interest, could do with loosing a few kg myself. Spending £££'s on ti this and down that when the beer belly probably weights as much as all my kit put together. I'm waiting until new year though, I fully intend to enjoy the festivities!
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Moder-dye wrote:Just joined zwift for some turbo motivation. And did the FTP test last night (235w)

Certainly won't be able to do much outside with the current weather.

I love sprouts, sadly also love biscuits and crisps! Luckily don't drink booze.
I've just joined Zwift too - looking for something different over the winter and to fit around childcare... should be good. FT test on Boxing Day and we'll see where I go from there. Are you planning on racing or just using the training plans M-d? I'm not sure yet but I'll see if I get much from racing (i don't in the real world!).
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Probably a mix of racing the other organised rides and training just to liven things up on the turbo. Nothing serious though, I don't race real world either though I do some of the club tts in the summer. They do group races into w/kg groups so in theory they should be close enough for you to be encouraged to get on peoples wheel and close gaps. Some real world friends are on it so a bit more encouragement too, but any fine days I'll be outside. Good that its only monthly payments.
RIP

Post by RIP »

'Good tasting but healthy'. Hmm. One individual Pringle?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Re Zwift.

Ive got a proper big old gym spin bike in the corner of our lounge which has been mocking the hell out of me for the past two years.

Is there an easy and cheap way make it work with Zwift. Ive read on the website that Id need a speed and cadence sensor but it obviously needs some sort of doohicky to connect it a thingumy. At least that is what I read when confronted with a sentence like the one below on their website.

Speed and cadence sensors and power meters connect to Zwift wirelessly via ANT+ using a USB ANT+ stick or through the Zwift Mobile Link app via Bluetooth Smart.

If anyone can decipher this and point me in the right direction, then come over and hook it up, and then do the classes for me while I eat hobnobs, that'd be great.

Thanks
Tim
I'm just going outside ...
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh Ive got an old speed and cadence sensor of a friend and a cheap Chinese( anself) ant+ dongle to go on my laptop. Was dead simple, fit the speed sensor, plug in the dongle and do the zwift start up. You get 50km or 7 days free and then £8 a month that's easy to cancel.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cool, sounds good, but how does the old speed and cadence sensor talk to the ANT+ dongle? Sorry, I am completely thick when it comes to this sort of thing.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I'm thick too. The sensor just sends a signal ( when you're pedalling) that the ant+ picks up and zwift gets it via the dongle. Need your bike reasonably close to the dongle. It's magic
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

My start date is going to be Wednesday 3rd January, hopefully all the festive food and booze should be gone by then :lol: .

Can't believe this thread is already five pages long and we haven't even started yet.

How we are we keeping track of things, individual weekly posts or a group list so that people can edit their own weight weekly, maybe include gain/loss?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Moder-dye wrote:I'm thick too. The sensor just sends a signal ( when you're pedalling) that the ant+ picks up and zwift gets it via the dongle. Need your bike reasonably close to the dongle. It's magic
Ok, I'll give it a go. Heaps of those ANT+ thingies. Thanks fella
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Was wondering how we'd record it too, but I've not got any suggestions of the best way.

My start date is Boxing day. If I'm still full from xmas dinner I guess my first week will show a good loss :lol:

My plan is reducing carbs, targeted fasting with recording on MFP. Obviously cycling and walking and a couple of times a week a pull up and dip session in the shed.
Naffa

Post by Naffa »

i'm in!
I lost 2 stone 5 pound this year just through cutting down on food, totally avoiding alcohol and riding lots.

I do like a drink during a 2 week period over the festive hols so Jan 2nd 2017 will be my start date and I'd like to record my weight and measurements each week.

Looking forward to this with all the mutual support.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Re recording. Someone posts their name and weight. Next person quotes that post but edits it by adding his/her name and weight and so on untill everyone has added their name. Each week each person quotes the list but edits their own weight with their new weight and could also maybe add amount lost or gained. Should work unless someone can suggest a better method.