Audaxing bar tape & "to see" compact lights

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Audaxing bar tape & "to see" compact lights

Post by redefined_cycles »

As per title... any suggestions.

Planning on doing a 320 mile loops soon...

Would rather just pay once for abovr items (alrrady havey nitecore which would then be the backup 200-300 lumener. Thinking glowworm x2 as the reviews for the equivalent fenix ajnt that great (bc30 etc)... Suggestions and thoughts??

Have seen various 3mm thick road bar tapes but wonder what experiences are on different varieties. Prefer not to double wrap cos a single wrap (done myself) seems more of the solid option... Thoughts on what you long distance roadies are using??
jameso

Re: Audaxing bar tape & "to see" compact lights

Post by jameso »

Disclaimer, I work for Evans and FWE is our own brand, but the FWE shockproof 4.5mm tape is really good. Used it for a 9 day ride inc plenty of rougher track this summer. Comes with some useful gel pads that could be used for most of a drop bar, I just trim a bit to go on the bar at the curve above the hoods.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Torchy The Battery Boy on eBay for an all in one light. The£35 900 lum, dual bulb (1 beam, 1 flood, independently controlled)
atk

Post by atk »

I've always used regular tape, Easton I think, about £6-9 at the local shop. Only ever had issues when the handlebars have been in the wrong position, trapping nerves and leaving me with a numb little finger for a few days (I don't ride in padded gloves either).

Multi-day mixed-surface like James describes or the Tour Divide, fair enough, but for a single road ride you're probably better letting a couple of PSI out the tyres and buying a few extra slices of cake :)
redefined_cycles

320 mile round trip over 3 days. My frame is a steel -631 reynolds- retro Condor. Max tires it takes is 25mm rear. Not much more psi i can release from it (on 100 at the lo on tubless schwalbe pro ones.... can maybe get it to 90 psi)...

Thanks for all the info guys. Evans do 4.5mm... excellent
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Specialized and Fizik do gel pads to fit under the bar tape of your choice.

Also, consider something like Lizard Skins DSP tape. It has a very "sticky" feel to it which means you don't have to grip the bars so tightly.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fat Wrap claim to make the worlds thickest tape but having seen James's post it would appear not.

http://products.fatwrap.ca/fat-wrap-bar-tape/
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'd not be suprised if the fat wrap is thicker than the FWE - I'm not sure if FWE really is 4.5mm, the manufacturer lists it as that but that does seem very thick .. might have to check.
redefined_cycles

Thanks everyone. Thats bartape sorted. I used to think the 3.2mm lizard skins and fizik performance were the thickest/most comfy... will order shortly.

No one has any thoughts on lights! :???:

Rather not buy a 35 quid ebay jobby as I like to just buy once and want better lumens and build qual... so far the glowworm looks to be the way forward??
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Smootape XL 5mm thick:

http://www.highonbikes.com/selle-italia ... e-5mm.html

I run it with cinelli gel pads underneath on Woodchippers. Has the added bonus of being really longlasting.

By Gloworm x2 do you mean the £170 mtb light? If you're Audax riding then won't that be overkill?
You're most of the way to buying anew Exposure strada road biased all in one or you could get a cheaper Lezyne all in one and a battery pack that can also charge your phone, etc.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

For audax a dynamo light would probably make more sense long term? You could get a decent hub (Shimano) and light (B+M) for less than £100 from Rose bikes, plus a little more to have the wheel built. Never have to worry about charging again and the light will have a proper "road" spread unlike mtb lights.
redefined_cycles

Thanks again. Will order the bartape shortly as theres certainly no shortage of options now.

The glowworm... yep, it could double up as an mtb light (or double up for the dark unlit roads) so was thinking more of a one light to do it all. At the mo I have my notecore attached the the bars and use it on both the mtb and road. But with only around 3 or 400 lumens I suppose I was thinking the second light should be much much brighter.

Good info and you're all a credit to the forum... happy bivvying