Lightweight petrol/multi fuel stove

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Lightweight petrol/multi fuel stove

Post by Moder-dye »

Just wondering of there are any commercial or home made lightweight multi fuel stoves out there on the same vein as pop can stoves? I.E. Ones that won't brake the bank too!

Just wondering for on trips away where you can't carry fuel due to flying and a trip to a camping shop sleight away isn't so easy or practical.

I'm hoping for a trip to the Faroe Islands next year as we're going to be having a new flight service from Shetland :-bd

Last year in Norway it was a bit tricky getting meths at first due to time of arrival on the Saturday and then Sunday close down the next day. In the end out first night airbnb host happened to have some. I have a wood gas stove, but I suspect there's even less wood in Faroe than Shetland :shock: And the airport is nowhere remotely close to the main town where an easy supply might be.

I'm not wanting the cost or weight of a trangia x2, whispering or the like.

Cheers!
fatbikephil

Re: Lightweight petrol/multi fuel stove

Post by fatbikephil »

Soto Muka fits the light and compact (ish) bill but not cheap. I got mine for motorcycle touring and got it well discounted from somewhere I can't rememeber for a hundred and odd quid. Works extremely well and no pre heating required just pump it up and set fire to it
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers. Its certainly light compared to others and from reviews excellent and quiet too, or is that just relatively quiet for a high pressure stove? And no priming is a plus.

Cheapest I found it in stock was about £150, maybe I'm just a tight arse, but then I am from Yorkshire and living in Scotland :lol:

I may have to just be asking for trip funds for Xmas and my birthday!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The DIY petrol stove is generally regarded as a bad idea in the same way that making your own explosives is ... it doesn't tend to work out very well.

Have you considered Esbit? I'm certain that some sealed fuel blocks tucked deep inside your bike luggage would make it on and off the plane okay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh I'm getting the impression that you can't do anything remotely diy and safe like you can with meths stoves and the diy ones I've seen are incredibly bulky.

I had considered esbit but wasn't sure how obvious they might be in airport security? Even enough to do as a stop gap would work. Wouldn't be the best start to a holiday getting stopped. Have you/anyone else risked it?

Maybe wax coated kindling for the wood gas :lol:

Cheers
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you/anyone else risked it?
I've flown with meths before. A couple of 100ml bottles inside my frame bag ... I know I'm not the only one :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

your sorta local

I have a whisperlite you could borrow for a trip if it was just the cost putting you off..... although i will say its very violent and its an art to work for anything other than melting snow.

But i do need it back .... its one of the few things i have that will probably be an heirloom.

ill be on the hjaitland quick smart ;)
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers for that offer trail-rat, but I'll not risk anything going wrong with an heirloom :cool: It's not enough to put me off/stop me going anyway. I'm not generally a fan of noisy petrol stoves and gas stoves, so I'll probably just risk some esbits or a small bottle of meths as a stop gap.

When they publish the timetables for the new service I'll have more idea, but it will be (stupidly) coming down to Aberdeen first for immigration purposes before heading back north to the Faroe Isles so I assume there will be a chance for others to join the flights there. Doesn't seem a particularly bike friendly destination (especially with the tunnels), but looks like there are some gravel road opportunities. They're saying from £60 each way (we get an islander discount) so could be a cheap and interesting holiday :-bd

I'm down in Aberdeen Monday. Nothing exciting though, probably 5mins at woodend hospital for them to look at my wrist and then a wander about until my flight back.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

I'm off Monday - on gardening leave for a job that may or may not be happening If you are in town and fancy a coffee drop me a line. I'm about 40 minutes away by bike.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Have you/anyone else risked it?
I've flown with meths before. A couple of 100ml bottles inside my frame bag ... I know I'm not the only one :wink:
Don't know where you're going, but...
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

This might not directly answer the question, but I just stumbled across this epic multi fuel stove round up:

http://thenextchallenge.org/liquid-multi-fuel-stoves/

Hopefully it contains some relevant info. It looks like hours of effort went into it.
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Which Island will you go to? What airport?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Well there is only one airport on Vagar, so there initially and then the main island that Torshavn is on. Long undersea tunnel between them

But.... It seems unclear now whether the flights will actually start next summer or actually the summer after. Different media reports give different impressions. Been getting all excited too :sad: Trying to find out....
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Woo hoo! It's on, first flights start 28th may on a Friday and a Sunday :-bd
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

I'd go with a normal spirit burner. First of you don't need the hassle with the multi fuel. Secondly spirits is available in all but the smallest grocery shops and at the Chemist.
here are some pics, and the name. https://www.google.dk/search?q=husholdn ... cQ_AUIBigB Been using that stuff in my trangia for more than 30 years now. Just don't drink it :grin:
And by the way, wildcamping is not allowed in the Faroe Islands. But it's up to you if that will stop you doing it :roll: .

Lars
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers Lars,

Yeh Ive used husholdings sprit before, Greenland, and it's better/cleaner than our meths. It's just finding it conveniently to the airport, but I've found there is a garage in the nearby village so that should have some.

As for camping, yes you should have permission for any where other than official camp sites, like much of England and Wales. But much like England and Wales if you're sensible and we'll out of the way no one will mind. I see there are also sensitivities about access to some tourist viewpoints.

Have you been there Lars? I'm just looking into all the logistics just now and whether it's worth the hassle of a bike ( due to the tunnels and particularly subsea tunnels) or just backpacking. ive made contact with some one there so will hopefully get some pointers.

Cheers!