SMD Lunar Solo - Opinions?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

SMD Lunar Solo - Opinions?

Post by Richard G »

Just about to press the button to order one of these. Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't?

I'm reasonably certain it's going to work for me, but as it's fairly expensive I figured I should probably see if there's anything I might have missed.
Taylor

Re: SMD Lunar Solo - Opinions?

Post by Taylor »

Can be a bit flappy in strongish wind but otherwise it's a great shelter.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll try and say this without sounding biased - don't buy the SMD carbon pole, it's as flexy as a flexy thing. Otherwise, very nice shelter. As Taylor says, can be a little flappy but the additional side guylines make quite a difference in that regard.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Agree with Taylor. Had mine a few years and it's great. Using the tie out point on the back wall is fairly essential at it can flatten if the wind changes. I've not seen anything else I'd rather have though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I do like mine. Light. Easy to pitch/pack. Really good compromise of tent and tarp.

The venting works really well if you get the pitch right. I've only once had bad condensation and that was at the coast when there was dense haar so everything was wet.

I'll be opting for the Scarp over winter though as it's less draughty.

I've not had any problems with the standard pole. Maybe I've not been in conditions where it would be affected (see my previous sentence)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cheers. I don't think it comes with a pole as is, and I was planning on seeing if what I have already works before getting another.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think it comes with a pole as is
That's right Richard, it doesn't but SMD do sell one for it.
Chew

Post by Chew »

The question i'd ask is, do you want something with a integral bug net, or something like a BearPaw Lair that you can mix and match and be more versatile?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ianfitz has a Zpacks hexamid Solo that's about half the weight but about twice the cost(!) - looked rather neat when he brought it to Bearstock.

How does the Scarp tent compare to the Terra Nova Lasercomp? They look quite similar but the Lasercomp is 900g compared to 1.5Kg for the Scarp. I've got a Lasercomp so not in the market for the Scarp.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The ZPacks (Solplex) was on my list, but yeah, it's twice the cost, and I don't do enough bikepacking to justify it.
atk

Post by atk »

Richard G wrote:The ZPacks (Solplex) was on my list, but yeah, it's twice the cost, and I don't do enough sleeping to justify it.
ftfy
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Chew raises a good point. I've considered a Borah bivy bag http://borahgear.com/chestbivy.html with upper quarter being anti-midge netting and with a couple of tie-outs that would let you clip it to the underside of a tarp. In fine weather the bivy on its own would be good enough but in poorer weather you could fit it under a tarp and still get protection from the winged death. A lot cheaper too! There's the Cuben Fibre option http://borahgear.com/cubenbivy.html if you want to save 50g
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Had my SMD Lunar Solo for a few years, love it. And agreed, it can be a bit flappy in strong wind, but good guy lines at each end help. Seams aren't taped in mine, but it's never leaked even in some really heavy downpours, so i'm happy.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

atk wrote:
Richard G wrote:The ZPacks (Solplex) was on my list, but yeah, it's twice the cost, and I don't do enough sleeping to justify it.
ftfy
:cry:
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

The lunar solo tent is really good shelter.

I had a vango super light 200 prior and the there is much more room in the lunar than the 200.
What I like is that you are able to sit up in the lunar solo unlike other 1 person tents.

Picture below of mine

https://flic.kr/p/FaJbTE

I bought the carbon pole of bearbones bikepacking and a very good stiff pole it is too.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah another here for the solo used it a few times now with a pole off stu and it pitches great but in the wind it's a tad pants due to its steep sides I think my laser comp preforms much better so probably be using it through winter. But then I only bought the solo as a shelter for the summer as it has a built in bug net
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ok, so I've got this now... just out of interest, where are people carrying this in their pack setup?

Because of the size, the front pack is an obvious choice, but then I generally keep my dry stuff there, which obviously wouldn't work most of the time after day one. I think I could probably fit it in a seat pack, but probably not with much else.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Seat pack for me.
atk

Post by atk »

What is the pack size like (without a pole)? 4 cans of beans? 6? 8?
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I put my Lunar in a Sea to Summit compression dry bag and it compresses down really well.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

SMD Lunar Solo user here. Slept in it for 40 nights approx on my GDMBR bimble.

V quick to pitch and take down; 3 mins approx.
Lighter than most bivvi/tarp combos.
Lots of space inside.
Slept most nights with the front & bug net completely open so get the "fall asleep watching the stars" effect, same as a bivvy.
Can close the bug net - useful for keeping out mosquitoes in Canada/Montana and Fire Ants/Scorpions/Tarantulas in New Mexico
Very waterproof - found out during a Mother storm in Montana and that time I slept in the town park in Del Norte and the sprinklers came on at 11pm.

Dislikes
Quite slab sided so doesn't shed wind well at all
At 6'2" I "just" fit. If a damp night head/or feet would get wet from condensation.
Thin materials (accept thats the price of light weight). Mine is pretty shagged now - groundsheet is worn and tent part stretched from wind. This was to replace a 12 year old Terra Nova, which although heavier was bomb proof.

Carried mine along with Exped mat and RAB sleeping bag in a large Apidura handlebar bag.

cheers Andy
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Definitely sounds like positioning is important with regard to wind.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Let's not forget how important a rigid pole will be with regard to this too :wink:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yes to the point a sheltered spot critical. Positioning wise if the entrance points to 12 oclock I would put the rear left corner, the 4 oclock position facing the wind.
Let's not forget how important a rigid pole will be with regard to this too
oh I wonder where I could get one of those from.... :ugeek: tbh I just modified a pole from a long dead Macpac
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

BOING !!!! As my 50th approaches at an alarming rate.... my dearly beloved has treated me to one of these.... but I opted for the LE version with the slightly stronger base.
Mike Cleveland has a Lunar Solo and having spent the day grilling him on it's strengths and weaknesses, i decided this was the best option.
Mike uses a tyvek groundsheet with his. I started looking into this and came across the Wickes window membrane http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Seasonal ... 2/p/210014
Is a 2ndry groundsheet unnecessary?