Peak based winter bivy (the week after the proper ones!)

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

bearlymoving

Re: Peak based winter bivy (the week after the proper ones!)

Post by bearlymoving »

slarge wrote:Plan at the moment:
Slarge, mike and scattamah meeting at the Fox House pub at 10am, going for a bimble on unladen bikes then meeting Ianfitz back at the Fox House at 3pm.

Who else is coming, please addyour name to the list

Slarge
Mike
Scattamah
Sorry, totally missed this. I'll see you at the Fox House at 3pm.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Due to non-compliance with the 7 P's, I'm having to bow out of this. 'Avagoodridefolks.

Greetz

S.
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Scattamah wrote:Due to non-compliance with the 7 P's, I'm having to bow out of this. 'Avagoodridefolks.
Balls.

I'm familiar with the 4 P's. Had to look up the 7.

Product, Place, Price, Promotion, People, Processes, Physical Evidence.

WTF? ;-)

http://www.professionalacademy.com/blog ... s-to-7-p-s
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

The 7 P's - prior preparation/planning prevents piss poor performance.

A long fight last night with a set of new tyres saw me at 1am this morning putting the last of the gear on Lois. I had to be up @ 4 to comfortably make a 6:30 train. Wasn't happening. Looking at plan B this morning, it was a 30 mile ride in from Macclesfield or a 50 quid round trip train ticket to Sheffield and 8 miles to the Fox. I'd be late to hit the Fox if coming from the west. The price of the train ticket put paid to the eastern approach.

Just a little bit gutted. Was really looking forward to this.

Greetz

S.
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

That is a pain. If I had a motor I'd be able to pick you up on the way.

I'm going to hop on a train from Manchester to Grindleford (hopefully the 12:49) and ride the last few miles.

And I'm not packed yet…
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Good to see AW and Mike at the fox house. We had a nice ride. Steves bike broke a bit then we went to the Nags Head.

Cheers to to Graham and Steve for a good evening drinking beers and chatting bikes, kit, politics and other essentials.

I made the last train by about 45 seconds. Rode onto the platform and could see the lights of the train down the line. And ended up not having to pay either
Mike

Post by Mike »

Bit gutted my head wasn't in the right place for this but good to see you guys as always and nice to meet gma ( Graham ). I am guessing you guys came home last night in the end from Edale or did you stay out. It was bloody cold . Did Steve manage to get back to his van with a broken bike :)
slarge

Post by slarge »

Top weekend, and a great route on Saturday (morning one courtesy of Mike, evening one from Ian) - 85km in total.

Bike chewed the rear mech and chain, completely mangling the chain in theback wheel and snapped the rear mech off. Had to tiestrap the chain to the sprocket and mech to the frame and roll/scoot to the pub. 5 pints later my bike strangely remained broken, but we fixed the rest of the world in the pub. Bivvied with Graham then got the train (with 30 seconds to spare!) this morning. 2 mile push to the van and just got home.

Big thanks to Ianfitz and Graham, and great to see Mike and Ione (including her scar! :-bd

Twas expensive mechanical, need a rear mech, chain, hub, couple of spokes and a mech hanger... :cry:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ah wounder mate!!. U should of gave me a call steve, I'd of come over and gave you a lift back to ur van.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

slarge wrote:
Twas expensive mechanical, need a rear mech, chain, hub, couple of spokes and a mech hanger... :cry:
Ouch :o

Probably no trail side fix to be had then. And the cassette cracker wouldn't have been enough?
slarge

Post by slarge »

I've been looking at cassette crackers since I got home and I'm not sure one would work. They seem to be for steel or ally frames, don't think I would trust one with a carbon frame. Also, the freewheel was mashed into the hub, which could be fixed but I think there would have been 45 minutes of bodging even with the cassette removed.
I think if this haapened again it would be a ride finishing mechanical.

One of the chainlinks was twisted through 180 degrees - looks really mangled!
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Thanks for organising it Ian, it was a great night out. I'm glad you made the train – it looked like it might've been a close call.

Mike and Ione – 'twas a pleasure to meet you both.

Sorry to hear so much needs replacing Steve. I've never seen anything quite like it. Rather than hang around in the cold for an hour until my train arrived, I took your advice and rode home. It was a fairly leisurely ride back along towpaths and bridleways.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Sorry I couldn't make it out folks. Had a few other things clash. Should have been good weather I hope!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

gma wrote:Thanks for organising it Ian, it was a great night out. I'm glad you made the train – it looked like it might've been a close call.

Mike and Ione – 'twas a pleasure to meet you both.

Sorry to hear so much needs replacing Steve. I've never seen anything quite like it. Rather than hang around in the cold for an hour until my train arrived, I took your advice and rode home. It was a fairly leisurely ride back along towpaths and bridleways.
Organising is a bit of a stretch :wink:

I enjoyed meeting you both. Must make an effort to be more sociable as I often ride on my own. Not that I don't enjoy that too...

Also that book is Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson. I just started re-reading it. Again.

And Greg yes must do some bike riding soon. Are you heading over for the winter event?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Doubt I'll make it Ian, I've other things I need to prepare for. Haven't ridden my MTBs since the BB200. Not feeling it at the moment.