SE (Chilterns) Winter Bivy - 10/11 Dec

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: SE (Chilterns) Winter Bivy - 10/11 Dec

Post by jameso »

RE what tyres etc -
I only have summer tyres on my 29er
They'll probably be OK, I rode the 50 miles that I've logged between Tring, the bivi and back on totally smooth-centre semi slicks at the weekend. Slippy in places but it really isn't bad out there currently. When it rains it's sloppy but currently it's still all draining fast (for here..), lots of leaf cover and the usual boggy sections are simply a bit soft at the moment. Real mud tyres would be less useful than an average tyre for me generally, there's a fair bit of harder-packed stuff, some of that is chalk and also leaves over roots.
I would leave lighter Schwalbes at home, really :grin: You may well be fine on them having said that but anyone I know who still uses them around here spends a lot of time fixing flats or trying to get cuts to seal up. I may have an unfair view of Schwalbes from these other riders! A lot of thorns and a fair few flinty sections though.

About timing, and eating -
If we aim to be rolling away from Berkhamsted by 10 that would be good but no stress. I can adapt the route to suit getting to Tring at 12. If arriving at Berkhamsted plan on doing 2hrs riding before we get to The Cog bike cafe in Tring for coffee and cake or hot food, it's about 2 miles after the Tring station stop.
We mentioned stopping at The Monument cafe in Ashridge, a good stop when it's quiet but can be rammed-busy and take ages to get anything and if we stop there we'll probably also need a stop for the Tring starters anyway.
The cafe in Wendover woods gets very busy on a nice day and if it's that kind of day a few of the trails close to the cafes are best avoided due to levels of dog-wires and kids :) So Tring town centre / The Cog looks like the best lunch spot for us. By the time we're at Wendover we'll be ~1.5-2hrs from the pub - there's plenty to ride near there or some could ride a nearby trail or two while others eat if we stop for say 45 mins. Then we can get the hip flasks out on top of Whiteleaf hill if there's spare time (nice viewpoint anyway) before dropping down to the pub about 5 mins away downhill.

The route I rode last Sunday (from Tring to the pub then to not far from Little Kimble then back to Tring, ie Sat and Sunday sections) in fair conditions on a semi-slicked 'gravel' bike was 50 or so miles (<2000m gain on the Garmin) and took a bit under 6 hours total, riding Sunday-steady rather than with any effort, if that's much use as a guide. It can be shortened quite easily as it's a weavy kind of route, or we can add miles on Sunday am. I thought we'd add a few hours to that time with food and faff and chat, loaded bikes also. On Sunday adapt the ride to Tring (via Crumbs Cafe in Wendover?) based on weather and what everyone wants to do. We could add a bit of 'Geoff Apps tribute' bushwhacking and mud-holing since we're in the birthplace of UK ATB riding..

https://clelandcycles.wordpress.com/rides/

I can't make it this year but should anyone want to join in it's a fun ride.
Last edited by jameso on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

1. Food choices - done and sent (many thanks Ben)
2. Tyre choices - either the same tyres that sit on the CX bike all year, or the same tyres that sit on the Ogre all year.
3. Transport choices - Reg's link for the trains shows a return fare around £70 - not going to happen. Car it is then. Could someone a bit more local suggest a relatively safe place to hide a car for the night please. And in the unlikely event of anyone else approaching from the south midlands (Stratford upon Avon direction) - I'm happy to offer up some transport.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
jameso

Post by jameso »

Pickers, in Berkhamsted I have 1 parking space here and there's another that can be used but they're both dibbed already, will ask about a 3rd - should be OK. Will let you know asap.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Pickers, in Berkhamsted I have 1 parking space here and there's another that can be used but they're both dibbed already, will ask about a 3rd - should be OK. Will let you know asap.
Many thanks James

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
benp1

Post by benp1 »

@Jameso - like that plan, sounds good to me! Lunch in Tring sounds good and is about the right time. Think you said pub is booked for 7pm, everyone has ordered starters and main so we'll not be short on calories

I like the sound of the conditions. It's starting to turn where I am, had one particularly bad slippery section that I barely made it through on my Nanos

It'll be my first test of hub gears on a loaded bike
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Likewise, if someone can suggest a place to hide my car please? :cool:
jameso

Post by jameso »

I could suggest a place or 2 but I could also see cars getting broken into in any place, Berkhamsted and Tring are not high-crime areas though so use some common sense and all should be fine.
everyone has ordered starters and main
:-bd No excuses on Sunday then!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

jameso wrote: I could also see cars getting broken into in any place,
S'ok, I'll be in my pauper-mobile anyways :roll: :lol:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

All sounding great to me. Im going to aim for 10am at Berko but may struggle to make it as Im determined to leave the car at home, so will most likely be at Tring at noon. Which will mean schlepping along the Grand Union Canal. Still, better than driving.
I'm just going outside ...
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

I am coming in a van from Kent... parking wise i'll do a bit of research and arrive early enough to ride a couple of miles if need be.

Still yet to put up the tarp.... best go practice or i'll look like the complete nob I am!! Oh, and I haven't manage to get the bar bag on in a way i'm happy with..... super nob!!

Off to order poles from Stuart...
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

No excuses on Sunday then!
:lol: :oops:

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Sooooooooo .... in the interests of keeping this thread jogging along, what are we all packing?

I'll start: Im on my rigid Inbred 29er. I honestly dont like it much but it does the job. Im sporting a Wildcat Fat Lion bar bag with my sleeping roll, twin Gorilla cages on the fork legs with hammock and tarp, a dilapidated frame-bag with breakfast, cook kit, tools and spares, and a brand new shiny lovely Orleib seat bag that will be rammed with dry warm clothes. Sleeping with a Neoair mat and a Cumulus quilt in a hammock under a big 3x3 tarp. Unless it's raining. If it's raining, Im in the roundhouse.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Chai lattes in the morning would be a step too far but there's a regional stereotype to be lived up to : )
and here it comes ...
Unless it's raining. If it's raining, Im in the roundhouse.
:wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Stu, thing is there is only room for four of us sleeping in the round house. So 8 of us will be in the actual real outdoors.*

* not me, obviously.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

* not me, obviously.
Obviously :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Shotgun round house! I don't care what others think. First round on me so you don't feel bitter about it?
RIP

Post by RIP »

TBD's gatecrashed the Northern thread now so my head's spinning and I dunno where I'm meant to be! Whatever, this outside/inside lav could be the highlight of my weekend - has it got one of those superb cast iron cisterns with a chain? wooden seat? lots of spiders?

Also keen to see how the Favoured Four install themselves in the roundhouse, what with it being, well, round and bodies being (mostly) rectangular. There's also the firepit and several pints of ale to add into the equation. What could possibly go wrong? :)

Not applied any brainpower to kit yet although have had a happy hour modifying my porage pot so that it plus F1, 100 gas, spork, windbreak, matches, tea, sugar and porage all fit into my Ti mug. Don't think I can extract any of them now but it does look quite impressive.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

TheBrownDog wrote:...rigid Inbred 29er. I honestly don't like it much but it does the job.
What don't you like about it?
May you always have tail wind.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

What don't you like about it?
Oh I dunno. There's nothing actually wrong with it, but its just so dull - bit heavy, uninspiring handling, bit of a pig to look at.
TBD's gatecrashed the Northern thread now so my head's spinning and I dunno where I'm meant to be! Whatever, this outside/inside lav could be the highlight of my weekend - has it got one of those superb cast iron cisterns with a chain? wooden seat? lots of spiders?
Had to Reg. It was a matter of honour. The loo may be a bucket in a shed, but it's a work of art and must be respected. :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

what are we all packing?
Not much.. ? Will be in the pub then round a fire in a 'round house', sounds like a cosier night than Reg has had in the past after an evening down the pub so it'll be alright.. ? Might even go light enough to ride the SS :grin:

Edit, got to the bit about the round house sleeping 4. Ah well. Race on from the pub* : )

*Will bring a bag
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thanks for your pre-orders chaps. They're now with the Red Lion and they've confirmed receipt
TheBrownDog wrote:[

dull - bit heavy, uninspiring handling, bit of a pig to look at
I reckon they'll be 12 people like that...
RIP

Post by RIP »

"I reckon they'll be 12 people like that" :lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ben wins the internet tonight. :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Well blimey! Quick check on yr.no tells me it could be 9 or 10 degrees C overnight next week. In bloody December!
I'll take it but it's December for crying out loud.
I'm sure Stu will book some revenge for January though :wink:

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Crums, that's superlight sleeping bag temperatures!