Small front panniers?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Small front panniers?

Post by restlessshawn »

I know this might not be popular round here but toying with a trip on the CX next year and I think I'd need some extra space.

The easiest thing would seem to be some small front panniers as my forks have bosses for fitting lowriders. Any suggestions for small panniers (8-10 l each tops really), as I can't find much. Think cheap and light not expensive and waterproof.
atk

Re: Small front panniers?

Post by atk »

Carradice do small front panniers, relatively light, durable.
Alpkit posted some ultralight ones - unsure if they're available.
Arkel do some really light panniers but I don't think they'd work on the front.
Porcelain Rocket and Revelate also do mini panniers but with the exchange rates and stuff they're £££
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Alpkit ones didn't look bad.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

carradice ones look too big

alpkit ones looked alright till I realised the price was for 1 pannier ;)

pocelen rocket spot on but for the money

option 2 is bodging 8l dry bags to a rack...
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Can you attach anything/gorilla cages with a hole to the lowrider bosses and use jubilee clips/bottle cage clip things to get the other holes too?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Gorilla cages and their 8L drybags would be a goer (Ive got em on my Inbred and they're great) but it you're mostly road touring, Id still go with some small panniers and a low rider rack - just more versatile and useful for carting stuff. You can get them on and off fast as well, so you can take them into shops etc - few things will ruin a tour faster than having your gear nicked. And you can take a decent set of clothes for when you decide you have earned a night in a B&B and want to eat at a restaurant instead of a chippy van.

Cheap panniers are never ever never ever EVER waterproof, though you can always put stuff in dry bags. You should be able to find some Orleib front rollers on ebay for £40-50 and low rider rack for around £20. If you can find a Tubus Tara rack, go for that - they can be made to fit kitchen forks if you try hard enough but they're not cheap even second hand, if you can find one.
I'm just going outside ...
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

The Altura ultra lite packable panniers look good, but are
Slightly bigger than you require but maybe could work ?
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

If you don't need that much space you could go for cages and drybags. I've got two Blackburn cages and 8l Alpkit airlocks on the front of my bike and it's perfect, doesn't wobble too much and gives me some for tent in one and sleeping mat & bag in the other. Lighter than panniers & rack and better on rough terrain.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Steezysix wrote:If you don't need that much space you could go for cages and drybags. I've got two Blackburn cages and 8l Alpkit airlocks on the front of my bike and it's perfect, doesn't wobble too much and gives me some for tent in one and sleeping mat & bag in the other. Lighter than panniers & rack and better on rough terrain.
except I only have 1 bolt hole in the middle of the fork...unless I get inventive / bodge
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Same here! Just wrap some old inner tube around the fork leg, use the bolt to hold the cage in place and put jubilee clips above and below to hold it nice and solid. Never had any issues, if anything the clips are less likely to work loose like bolts can.