Richpips

Re: HT550 - 2017

Post by Richpips »

Pizza in Fort A.

The waiter said he'd never eat all of his. :lol:

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Howard wrote:On the subject of following the route exactly though, I checked with Alan before my ride about the turn off to get to the Postman's Path. The GPS descends the gully and then climbs up to Poolewe before doubling back - when there is a path that contours round. It was just an oversight when Alan edited the track with the change of route in 2016, but his advice was quite clear - follow the GPS track if you want a completion.
I wondered about this bit and why Alan had the route crossing the burn at the bottom rather than via the bridge which is further upstream as I remember seeing the track up the east side of the burn in 2015 and thinking it would go OK.

Re pizzas at FA - the vege one was spot on. Dave Barter had a fish pizza and looked like he regretted it.
To Steve L - I also have a personal rain cloud so when the weather turns out to be horrible don't take all the blame....
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

htrider wrote:
Re pizzas at FA - the vege one was spot on. Dave Barter had a fish pizza and looked like he regretted it.
I was so glad to get to the pizza place this year. An exert from my write up...

the pizza place is run by a very efficient, if slightly grumpy Turkish family, I've been before and had decided what I was having about 3 hours ago. Hello, sir are you eating in? Yes, I'll sit with them please. Man turns away, clearly used to people needing menus and time. But I know what I want, Shish Kebab, rice and salad and a 10 inch pepperoni pizza, coke, Efes and a pint of water. of course sir, you want to wait until your friend arrives before I bring it? Nope, it all for me, I'll take it as soon as its ready thanks.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

It's called the Achness Hotel (but it was shut when I passed at 14:30 on the sunday afternoon last year)
That's cos Alan pays them to turn the lights off, saving his room - he slept there in 2015, while us mugs slept out in the rain :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Another top tip is to make sure you get to the Oykel Bridge hotel before all the other greedy bastards on day 2
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dave Barter wrote:Another top tip is to make sure you get to the Oykel Bridge hotel before all the other greedy bastards on day 2
I think they've increased quantities now Dave. Even a special HT550 menu last time.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote:
It's called the Achness Hotel (but it was shut when I passed at 14:30 on the sunday afternoon last year)
That's cos Alan pays them to turn the lights off, saving his room - he slept there in 2015, while us mugs slept out in the rain :wink:
Heh heh I got the shock of my life when he cruised effortlessly past me at 4.30 am and then casually announced he'd dossed in the hotel. Karl Booth was even more miffed as he'd found the worlds windiest bivvy spot a mile up the road!

I see the latest GPX track has been sent out with the Strath na sealga crossing sorted once and for all - follow the line or scratch. If Ricky Cotter managed in 2015, no one else has reason not too regardless of water levels.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Strath na sealga this year was vaguely exciting. I had a foot spa moment when I crossed.

Ankle deep all the way. When i got to the other side, shoes and socks off, washed feet in still water, which was almost warm it was so shallow and still, sun beating down. Washed socks n shoes. Dried feet and rung out socks n shoes. Had a sandwich. Put various cremes and plasters on feet. Put on clean dry socks (only spare bit of clothing I took), got going again.

Bliss.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Remind us how your 5" balloon tyres behaved in 2015 Phil :grin:
At least it cleared the belly button fluff.
Bert

Post by Bert »

Dave Barter wrote:Another top tip is to make sure you get to the Oykel Bridge hotel before all the other greedy bastards on day 2
When I got there in 2015 at 10 pm I found three bikes parked outside and their riders inside, stuffing their guts with big plates of steaming food. Then I was told there was no more food left. My jaw dropped at least a meter. Luckily a few minutes later the cook came in and told me she could throw something together. Great meal, very nice people, and you get to go there twice!

So, I'm in the group start again in 2017. Can anybody tell me how the new parts of the route are? Does the new route get me faster into Fort Augustus? Last time I arrived just after closing time of everything food related.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bert wrote:
When I got there in 2015 at 10 pm I found three bikes parked outside and their riders inside, stuffing their guts with big plates of steaming food. Then I was told there was no more food left. My jaw dropped at least a meter. Luckily a few minutes later the cook came in and told me she could throw something together. Great meal, very nice people.

So, I'm in the group start again in 2017. Can anybody tell me how the new parts of the route are? Does the new route get me faster into Fort Augustus? Last time I arrived just after closing time of everything food related.
I've not raced the original start but I think this new one is quicker. There is all the historic timing data on trackleaders If you want to look.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Bert wrote:Can anybody tell me how the new parts of the route are? Does the new route get me faster into Fort Augustus?
I did a write up at http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... recce.html

I think the new route is faster, but you still have to "not hang about" to get to the pizza shop in time.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Those drainage ditches aren't messing around.
Bert

Post by Bert »

Nikk wrote:
Bert wrote:Can anybody tell me how the new parts of the route are? Does the new route get me faster into Fort Augustus?
I did a write up at http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... recce.html

I think the new route is faster, but you still have to "not hang about" to get to the pizza shop in time.
Wow, nice pics! That is helpful, thanks.

Looking at Trackleaders, it seems the new route is about 1-1,5 hour faster.
Howard

Post by Howard »

For those of you who didn't get into the group start and are maybe considering an ITT, I've posted my experience of going through that journey a year ago, over in the trips board http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =10&t=8923
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Howard wrote:For those of you who didn't get into the group start and are maybe considering an ITT, I've posted my experience of going through that journey a year ago, over in the trips board http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =10&t=8923
I'm looking forwards to reading the whole thing. Thanks Howard
Last edited by ianfitz on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote:Remind us how your 5" balloon tyres behaved in 2015 Phil :grin:
At least it cleared the belly button fluff.
Water up to my hips, effin freezing, foot high waves blowing in from the loch, bike floating about 1 foot in so I'm holding the bars at maximum reach and the waves keep trying to push both the bike and me over.

Foot spa it wasn't!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bert wrote:
When I got there in 2015 at 10 pm I found three bikes parked outside and their riders inside, stuffing their guts with big plates of steaming food. Then I was told there was no more food left. My jaw dropped at least a meter. Luckily a few minutes later the cook came in and told me she could throw something together. Great meal, very nice people, and you get to go there twice!

Having 'raced' both variations, 2016 is not just quicker but more fun too. Landscape has a little more on offer too, although you miss lovely Loch Ossian.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Richard G wrote:Those drainage ditches aren't messing around.
For Real. It's a great, long descent, but a proper workout trying to hop over those wheel traps. I punctured my rear tubeless Maxis Ikon (even with rear suss), where it meets the rim. Managed to patch it and add a small bottle of sealant (without a tube) which, much to my surprise, lasted for the rest of the ride (Missed the Northern Loop). More air in the tyres next time.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thursday 13th of April, Tom and I are heading out on an ITT.

A link below for those who want to dot watch.

http://trackleaders.com/highland17

Last edited by Richpips on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

On the tandem again?

Anyway, good luck.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:On the tandem again?

Anyway, good luck.
Rich's stealth edit says suggests separate bikes :wink: