Which Hope Hub?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Huwblut

Which Hope Hub?

Post by Huwblut »

It looks like I need a new 135 mm hub for my 29 plus rear wheel.

The obvious choice is Hope but as I'm riding SS do I get the SS / six speed model with the stainless free hub body or go for the lighter standard hub with the aluminium free hub body?

Advice appreciated.

Cheers

Huw
whitestone

Re: Which Hope Hub?

Post by whitestone »

The "problem" with the aluminium free-hub is that some cassettes bite into the soft metal which can make getting them off a bit tricky. XT cassettes are fine BTW. Depending on how your single cog is done it could dig in to the free-hub in a similar manner. Weight at the hub isn't that much of a problem, certainly not in the way that heavy rims/tyres can affect things, so I'd be inclined to go for the stainless free-hub.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hope suggest cassette/free hub of same material. That said, my preference is for ss too.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

With the pro 4's you can specify alloy or stainless steel freehub bodies. If you are going to stick with single speed then I'd go with the dedicated single speed hub as it builds up to a stronger wheel. The weight saving of an alloy freehub over steel isn't much and they have been know to split...
ton

Post by ton »

i have got a pair of wheels on the way built with white industries hubs. as good as hope and silence to boot.