Sleeping mat options?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Welsh Steve

Sleeping mat options?

Post by Welsh Steve »

Afternoon guys. Just in the final stages of getting kit together for next weekend. Pretty pleased that It looks like I may get away without having anything on my back. I think if I go up a size in drybag on the handlebars, I can manage on just that, a seat pack and a half frame bag.

Looking at ways I could slim things down, the only place I can see that I could make a significant space (and weight) saving would be the sleeping mat.

I have a Thermorest Prolite 4, which I've already swapped out for the wifes lady specific (Pink!!!!!) version of the same, as its smaller (but still sort of full length) and packs smaller.

What other options do people use? I assume the 2 most obvious options would be:

A 2/3 length thermorest style. Still insulated, but not quite a comfortable or insulating as a full length, with a slight reduction in pack size and weight?

or A fully inflatable bed (Like the Alpkit Numo) which would have a significant saving in pack size and weight, I would imagine is pretty comfortable, but could be cold due to lack of insulation (ive found airbeds cold in the past)?

What are peoples experiences, recommendations, preferences, What are the pros and cons? Which trade offs are worth while and which are not?

Thanks.
Steve.

P.S. Its just general bike packing at the moment, I suspect I will keep going well into or even through winter. Overnighters for now, But I'm sure that will quickly progress to multi day/long distance. I'm not racing but pack size and weight is a consideration, but also is comfort and warmth!
Last edited by Welsh Steve on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan_K

Re: Sleeping matt options?

Post by Dan_K »

I use a Thermarest neoair xlite. I like it for comfort and warmth but it's crinkly when you move about.
I'll get an exped one when I need to replace it.
ianfitz

Re: Sleeping matt options?

Post by ianfitz »

In our kit room are a fairly full range of options...

Thermarest neoair X therm.
I'd use this in the winter. It's my wife's main pad as she sleeps cold. It's very warm and packs to 'two bean cans end to end size'

Neoair full length
Id take this for cooler months or for a more comfortable couple of nights. Packs to a can of beer size.

Neoair short
For multi day racing where I want to sleep well. Still pretty comfy and packs to a can of redbull size

Half length foam pad
One in 8mm foam (75g) and one in 2mm (hardfloor underlay) - 22g. Both provide reasonable insulation but the thicker one is bulky. Will fold up and have lightweight bag and bivy in an 8 litre bag though.

Nothing.
For single night/summer/serious racing use!

Any of those will save you space and weight. All are good options. Not many are particularly cheap (you'll spot the ones that are!)

I've not used the alpkit one. But would share your concerns about insulation.

Really depends on your budget, intended use etc.

I've often thought that a gear library would be good. Get to trail things before a purchase. And get to 'timeshare' items that aren't needed very often...
whitestone

Re: Sleeping mat options?

Post by whitestone »

Our kit house :wink: has quite a bit of stuff from my days climbing but currently the bikepacking oriented kit consists of a couple of mats each for myself and my wife.

My wife has a Karrimor air mattress recommended by Stu on here (R-value = ??). Fine for summer but no insulation so not brilliant for winter. She also has an Exped Hyperlite (R-value = 3.8) which has insulation and is fine for winter.

I've a Klymit X-frame which is my summer ITT mat. Again no internal insulation (R-value = ??) so not ideal for winter. The winter mat is an Exped Winterlite (R-value = 6).

Pack sizes are all pretty small, the largest is the Winterlite which packs to the length of a 750ml water bottle but about a centimetre wider. Cost wise they range from about £20 for the Karrimor to £85 for the Winterlite.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Had a Numo for a few years - looks like they've changed it slighlty but there were a few things I didn't like - it is not warm. Fine for summer use but anything below about 10deg and I'd feel like I was losing heat through the ground. It also took ages to inflate as the valve is pretty small and the air channel along the head end was really thin. I'd have to blow it up as much as I could, then squeeze the air into the different tubes, then blow up a bit more, etc. This was partly down to the fabric being really stiff, which also meant I could only fold it down so much, making it harder to pack.

It is a good price, but when it developed a pucture I took the opportunity to get an Exped Ultralight 7 mat. Much better, warmer, with a soft fabric (smaller pack size) and super quick to in/deflate. If you get an Exped mat, do yourself a favour and also get a Schnozzle bag - not cheap but the first time you use it after a long days biking it will pay for itself!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Hyperlite MW + Schnozzle.
I also use the schnozzle in its plastic bag as a dry bag divider between damp tent and everything else.
Still cant get my head round putting damp/wet stuff inside a drybag. :???:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

1. Hyperlite M. 340g or whatever it is.
2. Winterlite M. 400g or whatever it is - in fact it is, cos just weighed it. Mega warm.
3. Balloon bed, as described with much hilarity elsewhere in this 'hood. 100g or whatever.
4. Straw bed. 0g or whatever depending on which barn you're forced into by that Celtic rain.

1&2 inflated by minipump (40g) which also does your hyperlite pillow (40g). 3 inflated by mouth entertaining all those gathered. 4 not inflated unless hipflask has been overdeployed.

All the above considerably more comfy than your TravelInn/PremierLodge. Especially at my age.

'Reg'
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Alpkit Dumo, its great for my knackered owd bones/back and other goosed joints, not as light as some, but well comfy :-bd
atk

Post by atk »

Really impressed with my Exped Winterlite M. Wish they did a non-tapered version too for general camping purposes.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I have a recent numo and a klymit static v. Neither insulated but I've been fine other than on a stone slab bothy floor in March, God that was chilling!

I like the static v even though a little heavier as it keeps you on it. Bit more balancing on the numo for me, but I'm pretty broad. Static v is also dead quick and easy to blow up, 12 breaths