jay91

Re: The end of Middleburn

Post by jay91 »

Love there cranks will be sad to see uk company go down
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That is a shame. Made some quality gear over the years.
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

A real shame. I was looking at a set of cranks but if spares are going to be harder to come by then I may not bother
gairym

Post by gairym »

Damn, that's a shame.

Have some classic RS2's on my single speed and loving their chainrings on my 29er.

Spent most of my student loan money on anodised Middleburn kit in the mid-nineties.

Bugger.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Noooooo.....

Thank goodness I have just put some of their excellent hard coat chai rings on my bike a few months ago. Love them, last years.

I did find it difficult to sorce their rings. I think I got them from a touring supplier in the end rather than a main supplier.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Was thinking of buying one of there ultra(?) compact chainsets for some long hilly rides on my road bike. I suppose if people like me bought stuff instead of thinking about it maybe Middleburn would still be in business.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Fitted my ogre out with their chain rings before this years highland fling. Whilst three up front was the subject of much humour they got my weedy legs round in one piece. I have a set on a 2000 pine mountain too so American bikes obviously need British engineering where it counts. End of an era.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

That's a real shame, I always liked their cranks and rings (one set on the Gryphon, another waiting for a build). Still, both secondhand so I guess I'm part of the "problem" despite being a fan :oops:
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

meh , i ran their cranks on various bikes from 2002 til 1012.

I gave up on them on my race bike when i wasnt even getting 1 race out of a set of hardcoates...
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

oh and im still waiting on the hub set and disk brakes that were coming out in 2004 :d

Rose tinted glasses off - they have not kept with the times , USE and HOPE were inovating - middleburn were stagnating .

Theey were brilliant back in the day i agree but times change and so does kit. Their cranks were no match for hollotech 2 imo. couldnt compete on stifness or price.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Trail-rat wrote:oh and im still waiting on the hub set and disk brakes that were coming out in 2004 :d

Rose tinted glasses off - they have not kept with the times , USE and HOPE were inovating - middleburn were stagnating .

Theey were brilliant back in the day i agree but times change and so does kit. Their cranks were no match for hollotech 2 imo. couldnt compete on stifness or price.
That's what I've being thinking the trends move that fast you need money for r&d likehe etc :geek:
Trying to ride bikes.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I do have Middleburn on my s/s which I took out for a spin yesterday and replaced the chain ring not so long ago.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thats a surprise as I thought in this era of bespoke kit they would be doing alright. Got three pairs of their cranks so its gonna be expensive when spares dry up. And that won't be long as they tend to make stuff to order so their isn't much stock around....
Ian

Post by Ian »

That's a real shame; I'm rather committed to Middleburn on the majority of my bikes :cry:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Love / hate for me. My collection of hammer-, hacksaw- and grinder-extracted crank arms will soon be worth a mint.
atk

Post by atk »

I'm a bit stuck, had some RO1 arms on order but I guess I won't see those now... :cry:

Anyone got some square taper RS7 arms (and ideally lockring+bolts) 165/170mm, silver or black going spare? Pleaseeeee!
Last edited by atk on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have some Isis RS7s in 170, even bought a bb for them to go on the new bike. Still on the fence as I prefer a 165 these days. Make me an offer.
atk

Post by atk »

Should have said (and have now edited...) after square taper, currently working my way through a bag of UN55s...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just looked up middleburn on fleabay and got very few responses - Active sport are clearly selling off remaining stock but there is very little. No thick thin rings, only a few rs7 direct mount rings, a selection of spiders and lockrings. There website is down as well....
I guess hope is the next best bet for UK made bling cranks but I see CRC are doing a complete XT 11 speed drive train for £300....