That'll keep the legal team happy....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

That'll keep the legal team happy....

Post by johnnystorm »

https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-confucius

Now, where did I put Greg's puking gnome....
Artie Fufkin

Re: That'll keep the legal team happy....

Post by Artie Fufkin »

I thought they were BMX handlebars at first, but then realised I was looking at my computer screen from a different angle.
Hmm!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Think I'm looking at them the wrong way round ... they appear to be a pair of 70's scramble bars if you imagine the loop as the bottom and the main bar as a brace.

May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

:lol:

Great minds! :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Buy now before the legal eagles get in there :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Stu - buy a set - mount them like that - enjoy the hate it would entail :)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looking at that shot Stu, I thought about the Raleigh Chopper :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Well they had to develop them quite a bit from the design they had before (Fu Man Chu?), as it was too much of a ripoff of the Jones Loops

They're not pretty, but they're wide!
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Aside from the extra hand positions (and potential legal fallout) wouldn't these be useful for supporting a bag up front?

I can see the extra bar being useful for adding more structure to a bar harness mounting across both bars, similar to some jones setups (without the overly touring geometry) or like some road tourers are doing strapping drybags under aerobars for lateral support.

Or stick one on top for full hate
and "wicker basket" appeal :-bd

Hell, I like them. Atleast it'll look better than my experiments with putting aero bars on a mountain bike :lol:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

use of the phrase 'loop bars' in the description is surely asking for trouble? Look like a bar for all those mounting bar ends inboard.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Will Alpkit be doing new fitted bag to go in the middle of the loop?

I've not long bought a One One OG bar which when I first replaced my flat bar, and found it very strange at first. But I must say I do find it very comfy.
I was thinking about putting some bar ends in the middle of the OG bar to give me added hand positions.
I suppose this alpkit bar is similar but without the back sweep.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Think I'm looking at them the wrong way round ... they appear to be a pair of 70's scramble bars if you imagine the loop as the bottom and the main bar as a brace.
Weirdly I was thinking about motorbike handlebars the other day and wondered how a set of Jota bars would work on an mtb so you could adjust the sweep to suit...I may have been drinking at the time and have not pursued the idea...
jameso

Post by jameso »

That's cool. I've wanted a bolt-on bit like that for a while. Never did quite get over my love of Scott AT4s..

There's a carbon bar I've seen that does a similar thing with an open loop / long bar end type fitting. Looked good, but expensive. Bar ends inside the grips are a great addition for long rides and this adds a spot for the gps, lights etc.

To be fair all round I suspect that the Jones side of things would only be dissapointed to see a copy of his ideas out there, it wouldn't be a legal thing. More respect to a company that could but doesn't copy ideas too closely and has their own take on instead. Sometimes 2 companies come up with similar ideas independantly, the loop bar is a fair 'signature' thing for Jones though. But if you don't like swept bars ..
Last edited by jameso on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Weirdly I was thinking about motorbike handlebars the other day and wondered how a set of Jota bars would work on an mtb so you could adjust the sweep to suit...I may have been drinking at the time and have not pursued the idea...
Oddly, I found a Jota bar in the barn last week ... bit sadly, only the one side :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

at least you would be able to mount your light centrally at the front and free up a bit of space for everything else we pile on our bars. . .gps, front harness, assorted feed bags, over the harness bag, bear bell(?!), fluffy dice, lucky gonk, spare pencil etc etc
jameso

Post by jameso »

Both a bit narrow and carbon but looked almost useful, prefer Alpkit's take on it.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I like the Bonty ones there...could see those being useful. They don't have 'em on their website though. Probably good as I don't need any more outgoings.

Greetz

S.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Adjustable sweep bars...learn something new everyday...

Aside from some doubt in the stiffness or strength of them should they go proper offroad, I'm surprised that they're not more popular on commuting or folding bikes? Seems a better idea than those QR stems that turn

In general though ive found myself caring a little less about "touring" bars, I dont really tour I just ride and camp. And to me, the point in bikepacking is you can do it on any bike and it shouldn't change how it rides too much, that's just my thoughts though. Wide flat bars for XC and trails, compact drops for road, luggage works around those, they don't change because of luggage. Ive come to this decision after plenty of silly looking combinations of bars,stems,extenders and aerogrips....looked ridiculous, comfy and stable for touring, but just got in the way of having fun on a bike offroad.

I still like them, and think they look a great solution for cheap but after a closer look they're not for me. Certainly won't make me more comfortable when I'm tumbling down a stupid wrong turn Black trail with 5kg of luggage bouncing about the place all holding on for dear life :lol:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I think the only good thing about them is that they are at least named after someone from their country of manufacture :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I take it this bar would be the product of the discussions Alpkit had with Jeff Jones over their original total rip off concept. Good way of mounting a bar roll without having to mount it to the head tube but not enough sweep for comfy wrists...

My entry in the 'which motorbike bars would you use on your mountainbike' competition - renthal 'Desert Bars' - 900mm wide, 170mm rise and 20 degrees sweep :mrgreen:
Ian

Post by Ian »

20 replies and not a single Confucius quote.... :???:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

johnnystorm wrote:https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-confucius

Now, where did I put Greg's puking gnome....
Just for you buddy

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

:-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

htrider wrote:I take it this bar would be the product of the discussions Alpkit had with Jeff Jones over their original total rip off concept. Good way of mounting a bar roll without having to mount it to the head tube but not enough sweep for comfy wrists...

My entry in the 'which motorbike bars would you use on your mountainbike' competition - renthal 'Desert Bars' - 900mm wide, 170mm rise and 20 degrees sweep :mrgreen:
Wow... now that's a bar :-bd

(Again no Confucius quote... )