B&M USB Werk

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bert

B&M USB Werk

Post by Bert »

A quick question about the B&M USB Werk, to which I couldn't find an answer with the search function: is it sturdy/solid enough to use during bikepackingtrips on rough mtb-tracks? A friend of mine broke his USB Werk during a rough descent (loose contact probably), so I was wondering if this is just bad luck, or does it occur more often?

I mailed B&M about the matter. Their reply is that they didn't test the USB Werk in rough conditions, but that it should be able to withstand it..

Anyway, the USB Werk seems like an excellent option, so I'm curious what the experiences are over here.
Mariner

Re: B&M USB Werk

Post by Mariner »

Not had a problem with mine - so far.

Is it input or output you have lost?
Have you checked the circuit with a meter to ensure you have an input?
You could try flexing the cables to see if you get an intermittent signal then zero in on it if it is a break.
If it looks like a bin job I would open it up and see if there is any visual indication of damage or components not fixed properly.
It may be able to get it repaired if you can do it or know someone who dabbles in electronics.
A TV repair man or radio ham would be a good bet if you dont know an electronics tech or engineer.
Back in the day I could just walk into a lab and give it a proper test then repair it.

My SON dynamo is not recommended for downhill or vertical drop I think it translates as so don't have the electronics permanently mounted.
When I do my e-werk is in a fuel pod not fastened down and the mass of wires tends to have a damping effect.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hello,

sorry I can't help with the question. But does anybody know the name of those sorts of electrical connectors on the B&M USB werk (and other B&M products). I'd like to buy just the connectors!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Which end? The connectors which attach to the ewerk I do not think are serviceable. The type is 3.5mm DC power. Type of thing used for camera power supply. The push on crimps I have and can let you have some.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It's actually for something car related. The DC pins with screw cap for the weatherproof seal end. I'd like to make my own leads up for some mis-matching of bumpers and parking sensor systems etc - just I spotted that these are the same connectors as the ones I'm after!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Search ebay for 2.5 or 3.5 dc power connectors.
Have not found the ewerk style threaded connectors but there are some Tyco (spit) weatherproof connectors that might do.
Bert

Post by Bert »

Thanks Mariner. Actually my friend doesn't have his USB Werk anymore. He works at my LBS and send it to B&M for repair. It was send back, but the other guys at the store didn't know it was his and sold it. So now he doesn't have an usb charger anymore. :lol:

I just ordered an USB Werk today, so we will find out if it holds up!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

other guys at the store didn't know it was his and sold it. :lol:
Interesting to know that there is a repair service.
Thanks.