Touring the Mounth

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Touring the Mounth

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd supposed to be doing the Highland Trail again this year but back problems threw a spanner in my training and made doing 550 miles with lots of hike a bike a no no. As compensation I decided to do an easy tour from Stonehaven west picking up a few of the Mounth roads that zig zag north / south through the eastern Grampian hills towards the Cairngorms. If you've done the coast to coast you'll have done a fair bit of this route but for some reason the 'official' coast to coast takes you on road from Glen Mark to Montrose instead of heading further east on more great tails to Stonehaven. So I trained it to Stonehaven and after only a couple of miles of road I hit the dirt.

The start of the Elsick Mounth. For this trip I was in touring mode so had a fairly big load with everything on the bike to give my back an easy time.

At the top of the pass looking west - a nice trail all in all with single track through the woods bone dry after all the sun. Note weather... :cool:

Next up was the Cryne Course Road - this bit was a bit crap but being dry and downhill passed fairly quickly...
The Stock mounth was a no go as the first section was covered in wind blown trees and I couldn't be arsed with a death march on such a nice day. So I short cutted to the Builg Mounth via a new windfarm track

The summit of the Builg - Tussock central but short lived as you pick up a fast doubletrack descent to the Cairn o' Mounth road. From here its a short hop to Char Bothy where I'd planned to stop but as it was only 5pm I cracked on up the glen and Mount Battock (778m!)

The trail over the summit and down the first part of the ridge is a nice mix of turf and rock before you hit a network of smooth stalking tracks. I was feeling a bit bushed by this time so when I spied a nice grassy side glen after dropping off the ridge it was an easy choice to make camp.

The next morning the forecasted cloud and dreich turned out to be clear blue sky and not a breath of wind (or midges). Finally I was doing a trip at the end of May which didn't involve gale force winds, rain and snow. Plans were changed to hit as many trails as I could.

From my campsite this morning to my destination at Ballater was about 20k as the crow flies. My route was nearer 100....
The junction of the Fungle road and Firmounth - I'd be back here in a few hours. The Fungle road is a gem with a mix of made and natural double and single track. There are plenty of options to do this as a circuit and its well worth it.

After a late brekky in Aboyne it was back over the Firmounth to Glen Mark and up onto a beast of a climb over the Mount Keen Mounth road.

The single track that runs below the summit cone is divine - nadgery rocks and narrow gravel followed by a wide boulder field...
This kind of stuff needs a deal of care on a rigid bike with bags on. I made reasonable progress down it with only one dab on a particularly large rock :grin:

Whilst sat in the pub in Ballater it lashed down for about 30 mins but the sun was back out as I weaved my way back to the tent at last light.

Day 3 was a steady day heading up Glen Gairn on road and track to Loch Builg and then down to Tomintoul. I'd had a few plans to head north from here and even have a razz round the Glenlivet trails but murky cloud in that direction persuaded me to head west to Aviemore by the usual Glen Brown / Dorback / Eigh Mhor / ryvoan CL route.

The egg path - if you aint done it, do it.

Monday and Tuesday night were spent in a friends spare room in Aviemore with an afternoon spent riding the woods around Boat of Garten, Carrbridge and Burnside. For a finish I'd planned to spend a couple of days heading down to Tyndrum to catch up with a few of the Highland Trail finishers and then an easy pedal home from there. Wednesday morning dawned rather murky but by the time I'd left Aviemore it was already clearing. My route took me due south west with a monster tailwind. From Ruthven Barracks the old military road provides and easy pedal and a much nicer route than NCN 7
From Phones lodge there is good route over to Dalwhinnie, again better than NCN 7 albeit with a bit of a bump...
In the cafe at Dalwhinnie I checked out the progress of the HTR and noted everyone seemed to be going like the clappers and many would be finishing this day and the next. The plan was revised....

Going down by Loch Ericht was absolutely stunning

On the first section of singletrack - Ben Alder from the north

On the Bealach Dubh. You'd never have guessed 40 odd riders had passed this way a few days previously...

I hit Loch Rannoch at about 6.15pm and just kept going, the weather was so good...

Above Loch Rannoch looking back to Ben Alder from the South.

Over the Lairig Gallabahaich the distance started to tell but the mega tailwind made Glen Lion a breeze. I hit the WHW at 8pm and made Tyndrum at 8.30, 11 hours and 100 miles after leaving Aviemore. Guess me back is OK then. There followed a pleasant evening of drinking and chatting with folk who had finished the HTR and seeing a few more folk in. Next morning was more of the same followed by a gentle pedal home on roads and cycleways. 6 days of great trails, great weather and tailwinds...

On NCN 7 near Lochearnhead - for me always known as the bridge that didn't fit...
Lawmanmx

Re: Touring the Mounth

Post by Lawmanmx »

Looks Amazing :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That looks lovely Phil ... although this looks like the bikepacking version of the 'Kay's catalogue pose' :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:That looks lovely Phil ... although this looks like the bikepacking version of the 'Kay's catalogue pose' :wink:
:lol:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Left Scotland in 1999 and have not managed to get back since but your photos just brought it all flooding back.
Didn't quite recognise it with so much sunshine and blue skies. :lol:
My first Munro was Ben Lawers came down with balaclava and gloves on as so cold - in August.
That was in the days before open access so just riding as far as possible then dumping the bike and walking.
It must be amazing now to be able to ride and camp just about anywhere.
By the way what mudguards are you using?
Is that a bought item behind seat tube or home made?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mudhugger Enduro guard on the front (with extra flap), Mudhugger 29er guard on the rear, mucky nutz down tube crud catcher type thing to keep crap of the frame bag, on the seat tube its a cut down crud catcher to keep mud off the back of your legs and the frame bag. I like full mud protection but I needn't have bothered this week as the bike ended up only with a thick coating of dust......
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

FYI your fallen tree death march ( assuming it's the o e where my photo below was taken last Saturday )was only a 2min liftover push round duck under.

Looks a lot worse than is. Leads to a good single track descent to tbe burn and climb out . The singledotted line from. There to cairn kerloch track is now a fully ridable trouble track

Other than that excellent choice of trail. All very local to me
Attachments
OI000006.jpg
(720.48 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Trail-rat - yes thats the place I recognize those two trees! When I checked out how far up the trail I got when I reviewed my GPX track later on I did see that it wouldn't have been much further but I was being uber cautious about my back. Its a good excuse to go there again! Given that is a ROW I'm surprised FC haven't cleared it yet as they are usually pretty good about these things - I'll drop them a line I think
Phil
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

It's been like that for at least 9 years

There's a snaking path off to the right in the woods iirc there are 3 lifts required
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Also not sure it is a srow

The signposted srow from cairn kerloch is from the western flank under a marina like tree cover and through baud bog.

I defy anyone to plan that into a ride

Thigh deep bog and you see the srow signs popping out the middle of it.

Not got a map so might be wrong