Re: Too Early for a YD300 thread?

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:Yeah, we ended up sneaking all four of us into the room. :lol:
you were in Yorkshire ....they'd expect no less
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Asposium wrote:
whitestone wrote: Having got to the gate at the top of the last climb....
so many gates
Being local I know the trails and was starting to picture in my mind how many gates I'd got left to deal with then started counting them down. :wink:

Oh, my riding time this year was just one minute quicker than last year. Consistency?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

as a local, is gunnerside gill actually rideable?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Asposium wrote:as a local, is gunnerside gill actually rideable?
As a local (well from the opposite end of the park), I've been down Gunnerside Gill four times and haven't done the same route twice! I got the line right (https://www.strava.com/segments/6189412) last year but this year I blundered down in the mist and ended up on the main line (https://www.strava.com/segments/4269562) - came down the little gully that joins this from the north.

It's too hard for me on a rigid bike, it's not a lot slower to walk it, maybe three minutes slower which in terms of the overall route is nothing.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote:
Asposium wrote:as a local, is gunnerside gill actually rideable?
As a local (well from the opposite end of the park), I've been down Gunnerside Gill four times and haven't done the same route twice! I got the line right (https://www.strava.com/segments/6189412) last year but this year I blundered down in the mist and ended up on the main line (https://www.strava.com/segments/4269562) - came down the little gully that joins this from the north.

It's too hard for me on a rigid bike, it's not a lot slower to walk it, maybe three minutes slower which in terms of the overall route is nothing.
I must be thinking somewhere different.
Laptop now off.

Steep and rocky descent with quarry works at the bottom.
Scree entry.
Then riding left hand side of a valley, more mine workings.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Two of the guys with me rode it. I didn't, no way I was risking injury this close to Leadville.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

No, you've got it right. Do a search "gunnerside gill mtb" and there's plenty of images of the steep bit. I think Richard posted some somewhere as well.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYINQcKjNU shows the usual descent, the YD300 joins at around the 1:45 mark after the riders have traversed right across the gully.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Couldn't see a line the way i walked.

My talent meter would be run on zero if I had tried.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've picked up the hire car and there's room for my bike, the In-laws and their luggage so looks like my ITT next week is on :grin: Is there any extra info in the group start email that would be handy to know? I can pm my email address if someone wants to forward it. Also, I see on the YD300 FB page there is some parking areas near the start, did anyone use these?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

sean_iow wrote:I've picked up the hire car and there's room for my bike, the In-laws and their luggage so looks like my ITT next week is on :grin: Is there any extra info in the group start email that would be handy to know? I can pm my email address if someone wants to forward it. Also, I see on the YD300 FB page there is some parking areas near the start, did anyone use these?
All of us parked on the main road, in order to keep the yard clear.
Comments, hmmm......
There are many pubs and cafes along the route for water. I had two 600ml water bottles and never ran out.
Bridge inn pub before Yorkshire dales bike centre does a very good steak pie.
Burger van and ribblehead is very good. Certainly recommend the carrot cake. Water from the pub up the road toward the bridge (opposite direction to the route).
Didn't see many fast food type places, chip shop, takeaways etc.
Saw a few village stores; however they were closed when I passed. Nice looking one in a village before buttertubs, would need to look at a map for the name.
Some areas are exposed, and brutal in the wind.
There are lots of gates.
Pennine bridleway has lots of walkers in certain sections, especially dropping down toward ribblehead.
Also lots of drainage ditches to jump.
Watch the loop at the start, I messed up and did an extra 13km; essentially go straight across the loop crossing at the beginning, and again at the end. My fault for not studying the route and no understanding the briefing fully. Hey ho.

Can't think of anything else.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers :-bd I'm planning on riding Monday and Tuesday so hopefully less walkers but it is summer so maybe not. I've got my bell fitted ready as always :smile:

Edit, I've split the route into out and back as I was sure I'd get the loop wrong.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger