2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Re: 2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

So many wonderful, eloquent and insightful reports from this years event, I am almost inspired to give it another go. Having now ridden all the route over two separate occasions (not as a continuum), I know how much I hated some of the HAB (you know, the bits I mean). For me it's so demoralising when you are overtaken by walkers, which has only ever happened on this route and the Tour de Mt Blanc, although the later at least facilitated some fantastic descents. The Fisherfield section was stunning in great weather this year, but 5kph average speed over 85km is just painful when trying to make food/resupply cut-offs. Conversely, the climb into Glen Affric was rather nice; just get the bike on the shoulder and plod steadily up the easy path, rewarded by a great ride along the glen.

I think if I can recalibrate my expectations of the HT, from a bicycle race to an adventure race with a bicycle, perhaps I can get my head (and body) round it. It certainly has an extremely addictive character to it, and once tried, it really gets under the skin. Perhaps that's more a reflection of the obsessive nature of those attracted to it...

Chapeau to all for the fine rides and fine words.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:Sorry, was being a bit too subtle again. From your (and others) account it appears you found more civilisation to the north.
Perhaps it appears this way to you because of the larger importance the fewer stops up north have in comparison to the more frequent options in the southern sections. People will write more about Oykel, Kylesku, Lochinver as those spots are more crucial than Bridge of Balgie, Laggan or Kinlochleven, Ft. Bill etc.
Just like Ian I too experienced the north as being less developed.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I think the misunderstanding is partly down to how the word 'civilisation' is understood.

Of course it implies larger permanent gatherings of people in villages, towns etc. And the larger range of services that are available. I think we all know that can affect people's responses to each other.

I found the people in the north to be far more civil though. In that they were really looking out for us and welcoming us so warmly. That degree of hospitality is rarely experienced in the modern urban environment and feels incredible when you are lucky enough to receive it at a time when you are in need.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Didn't mean to open a can of worms :oops:

Ianfitz has it - very much a generalisation but I find the less "developed" areas of the country to be more civil. Then again I'm a country boy at heart. I don't doubt that most urban/suburban dwellers wouldn't hesitate to lend a hand to others nor am I under any illusion that all those who live in the country are saints (I've got relations who are proof otherwise!) but from the stories being told, many of those along the route go out of their way to be helpful. To me that's civilisation.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

I was really only reflecting on the visual impact that the powerlines had. After seeing so many wild places, they seemed at odds with it all; it was like a big sign that said "developed world, this way" :???:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:Didn't mean to open a can of worms :oops:

Ianfitz has it - very much a generalisation but I find the less "developed" areas of the country to be more civil. Then again I'm a country boy at heart. I don't doubt that most urban/suburban dwellers wouldn't hesitate to lend a hand to others nor am I under any illusion that all those who live in the country are saints (I've got relations who are proof otherwise!) but from the stories being told, many of those along the route go out of their way to be helpful. To me that's civilisation.

No issue with can o worms here Bob That's the great thing about this forum. We seem to be able to discuss, debate and even disagree in a civil manner. There's are many other places online where such things degenerate in to slanging matches or personal insults in no time.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:I was really only reflecting on the visual impact that the powerlines had. After seeing so many wild places, they seemed at odds with it all; it was like a big sign that said "developed world, this way" :???:
At the rate micro hydro and winds farms are going in up north I wonder how long it will last...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Richard G wrote:
Still not convinced I'm hard enough to do this, but I'd definitely like to try at some point.

You don't have to be hard to do this (I'm not) you just need to be able to ride your bike for long periods, have the nous to deal with a range of weather and terrain and be able to take it all in without letting it get to you too much. I'd say if you want to do it then do it. It doesn't matter if you don't make it round as there is always the next year!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Probably not, would be extremely hard for me to get away for a week without being contactable (technical work reasons) so it would likely be a one shot deal.

Plus I'm getting old. ;)
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

What fascinated me about a lot of the route, was how much it owed to shooting and fishing estates.

Imagine what the route would be like without those groomed gravel tracks.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richpips wrote:What fascinated me about a lot of the route, was how much it owed to shooting and fishing estates.

Beautiful as it is actually it's an industrial landscape in a lot of ways. An artifice. So much if modern rural Scotland is enforced by the contemporary landowner or their forebears. The whole crofting thing is post clearance compromise. Like an upgraded rural poorhouse to keep people quiet. Those bothies were homes really. Maybe not all year round in every case but...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Richpips wrote:What fascinated me about a lot of the route, was how much it owed to shooting and fishing estates.

Enter the Alaska Wilderness Classic :wink:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Plus I'm getting old.

I bet I am even older and I am up for it.
Would have been this year as ITT if my wife's hairdresser hadn't got summer flu as a result of training for the London Marathon and passed it around. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR a whole (expletive) year wasted.

If you need some inspiration read this
http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/adventu ... -training/
Its what I shall be adapting for next year and there is no age limit - yet.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I like it - he did alot of his training on an Ice Cream Truck in the snow, 30 odd mile rides in hard conditions.....
Worked for me!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

And no gym membership so that's 30 quid a month saved and the builders have left a bag of sand so I can adjust bag weights. Win win. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I pulled the bags out of a weighted vest and use those. Hills are NOT fun. =/
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Recovery. As in the event i feel like im the last (sure was lonely at the Bridge of Balgie cafe) to recover. I have had some deep fatigue.The left cankle has now gone but im still eating like a horse and any long term ambitions of remaining svelt like have been crushed with too much cake. I feel like I want do it again though, probably for the full immersion as a lone wolf on an ITT. How are other people feeling now? Johnny
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Are you the guy whos just done an ITT? How long did it take you?
Recovery = eat lots, do nothing - enjoy :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Beer. As many different types as you can find.

Seems to help the early nights too!
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

I was lucky to be involved in the group start although it didnt take long for me to feel like i was on my own as I watched everyone disappear into the distance. I'm surprised how whacked ive felt for about a week afterwards and cant believe some people have been out in the lakes this past weekend so soon after the HT. Ian, sleep has been helped with some liberal application of cider... :-bd Looking back, on the event I was doing fine - Postmans path and the bench press up the Coffin (Chuffin')path excepted - day by day until the Kingshouse, then I really struggled for the last couple of hours - almost to the point where I thought "This could be a tad embarrassing..." Eric and Jill told me they met two hikers at the last stile on the WHW whose comment was " Wow, have you just cycled all the way up that slope?" Eric's reply: "You don't want to know what 'slopes' we've been pedalling up!"
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

We struggled a lot on that last section. It was so hot by then.

Somewhere after the glen coe climb we met an American by one of the streams we'd stopped to fill our bottles in. They asked where we were riding to. Tyndrum we said. Oh. My. God. All the way to tyndrum was the shocked response.

We didn't say where we had been either. Minds would have been blown!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

And actually I remember Lee and I pushing up some of that last slope!
Ian

Post by Ian »

All things considered, I've felt OK. Done a few rides, even one including some hike-a-bike, and legs were good. Not full strength by any means.
I have eaten a lot though. Need to ease back on that now or things will go the wrong way...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:All things considered, I've felt OK. Done a few rides, even one including some hike-a-bike, and legs were good. Not full strength by any means.
I have eaten a lot though. Need to ease back on that now or things will go the wrong way...
I've felt surpringly ok too. Have been taking it easy but managed some efforts on the hills on a road ride yesterday. I'd agree not full strength though!
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Don't mind admitting I'm still wrecked. Can commute to work on bike in week if I do little riding on weekends. No capacity for any effort. Swollen right Achilles went down after 2 weeks. In my mind I dug in so deep I can't face anything remotely resembling pain right now on a bike, just enjoying life without pushing it. Also, no objectives after the HT for me anyway. Get myself fit for some summer touring and bike packing.