2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: 2016 Highland Trail (group start)

Post by Richard G »

Was just looking at Stuart C's heart rate data over the four days. Very interesting indeed. I love how the body starts out ready and willing to punch it up into the higher heart rate zones, and then on the following days say "Nope, I'm now setting your max heart rate to more like 70% max". :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

The Tandem, has finished. How flipping cool is that?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

GregMay wrote:The Tandem, has finished. How flipping cool is that?
Fantastic :-bd .
liamg

Post by liamg »

Like others, I have to take my hat off to Alan for creating a brilliant route that links some spectacular places together into something that's more than just a sum of it's parts. It gets a reputation for the HAB, but every push was followed by a great trail and/or view, making it all worthwhile.

My own race started off terribly having locked my keys in my hire car and missing the group start by 2 hours. It took a couple of days for me to get my head back, but mile after mile the trail begins to eat it's way into your very being until it becomes your entire life. The pursuit of forward motion becomes all encompassing and life becomes very simple - a very liberating feeling.

There were points I was questioning why one would want to race this route instead of taking the time to enjoy the scenery or the trails without various bits of anatomy screaming out in pain. But all that single-minded effort and lack of sleep pushes you to explore the very depths of your being. Lee used the phrase "life changing" and for me, going toe to toe with Phil up the Devil's Staircase was certainly that. Despite the swollen feet, the inability to sit in the saddle for more than 5 minutes, etc. in that moment, I was so "in the zone" that I felt like I could do anything. That intensity of feeling is not something that I've ever experienced before in all the racing or riding that I've done before.

Getting back to normal life after this is certainly going to take some getting used to, and I have to thank Ian F, Lee and Javi for the great times we had in the pub/cafe afterwards, rehashing each of our rides. I drove up to the race alone in the car, but feel like I've left with some great friends, joined together through our shared experiences out on the trail.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

I am organizing a celebration drink in Edinburgh tomorrow evening, to be finalized but likely somewhere round Leith Walk about 6:30pm...
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

JamesR wrote:try and capture how it feels]
Those are great shots! That one of Ian is amazing.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

ImageUntitled by Andy Lawrence, on Flickr

Loch Na Stac at dawn on day 2, it's this sort of scenery that makes the whole thing so cool :-bd
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Ian

Post by Ian »

Liam, that was very eloquently put. Captures it beautifully :smile:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

It's been great watching the dots (for a change).

A big well done especially those who had unfinished business. :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Richpips wrote:It's been great watching the dots (for a change).

A big well done especially those who had unfinished business. :-bd
Right enough - quite a bit of unfinished business was sorted this year. Really great to see so many finishers - lets just hope this doesn't mean Alan is going to make it longer!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

liamg wrote:Like others, I have to take my hat off to Alan for creating a brilliant route that links some spectacular places together into something that's more than just a sum of it's parts. It gets a reputation for the HAB, but every push was followed by a great trail and/or view, making it all worthwhile.

My own race started off terribly having locked my keys in my hire car and missing the group start by 2 hours. It took a couple of days for me to get my head back, but mile after mile the trail begins to eat it's way into your very being until it becomes your entire life. The pursuit of forward motion becomes all encompassing and life becomes very simple - a very liberating feeling.

There were points I was questioning why one would want to race this route instead of taking the time to enjoy the scenery or the trails without various bits of anatomy screaming out in pain. But all that single-minded effort and lack of sleep pushes you to explore the very depths of your being. Lee used the phrase "life changing" and for me, going toe to toe with Phil up the Devil's Staircase was certainly that. Despite the swollen feet, the inability to sit in the saddle for more than 5 minutes, etc. in that moment, I was so "in the zone" that I felt like I could do anything. That intensity of feeling is not something that I've ever experienced before in all the racing or riding that I've done before.

Getting back to normal life after this is certainly going to take some getting used to, and I have to thank Ian F, Lee and Javi for the great times we had in the pub/cafe afterwards, rehashing each of our rides. I drove up to the race alone in the car, but feel like I've left with some great friends, joined together through our shared experiences out on the trail.
I've been delaying writing anything much about it hoping, and knowing, that others would find the words to describe what happened out there. Liam has it spot on.

I'm still stuck trying to figure out how to interpret and understand everything that happened during the ride.

It was great time after too, spending all afternoon in the real food cafe and all evening in the tyndrum inn. A most necessary debrief. Actually it continued the next day too! I think Lee may still be there. I saw a tweet from her saying she had taken up residence and was camping under 'our' table. Totally agree too about new friends, we were all stuck in a very special bubble and it has connected us all in a strong way I think.

There is a brilliant photo that james took of us watch the trackleaders replay. On his Twitter I think. It's one of my favourites
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Well said, Liam. Especially about the way the trail gets to your being - all encompassing. It becomes a meditative state, especially on the solo sections. I found myself focusing on breathing rhythms and made up little songs in my head, watching the deer and birds as the sun came up and went down. Once you find that place, the body just does what it's told and the pain seems to fade away.

I really enjoyed getting to know the HT2016 riders, both on the trail, food stops and sharing stories for hours at the cafe after the finish.

Thanks, Alan for the brilliant route - as Liam said, the HAB sections definitely came with massive rewards in both the spectacular views and fantastic descents, erasing the memories of any arduous pushing.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

After reading the comments from all those who've returned, I think I'd just like to park this here again.

May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Nikk wrote:I am organizing a celebration drink in Edinburgh tomorrow evening, to be finalized but likely somewhere round Leith Walk about 6:30pm...
Would have loved to be there but am back home in sheffield.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:After reading the comments from all those who've returned, I think I'd just like to park this here again.

I have meant to thank you for posting that Stuart - I thought of it often, especially early on in the first day when it was hot, heart rate was high and there was a looooooooong way to go, even for pizza. It was in my head later in the ride too but that was because the transformation had happened and I was 'there'
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Now that Eric and Jill have gone to see the DH WC and all the others have left, whilst I'm waiting for the train to Edinburgh I think the real food cafe will be as it has always been before. As if nothing had ever happened. The experience remains within us. Our tracks in Fisherfield will be gone after some rain and hikers, as if nothing had ever happened. One last scone, one last coke. What a week it was! Thanks to all. You gave the Highland Trail a wonderfull soul. Cheers Alan G.
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Well now the battle with the kilometres is over, the one with the keyboard starts ....
I've had to get myself a wordpress account and I'm typing away at the moment. Getting near the end of day 2 on my account of the HT.
Lee is correct - the race is life-changing. And the more your life basically revolves around two wheels, the more life-changing this event is.
I hung around Tyndrum a bit and then had to come up the next day to get my car so saw Lee, Ian B, Ian F and Javi again, as well as meeting up with my brother-in-law Bryan Singleton, who finished 6th.
I maybe wasn't there for as long as some and when I was I maybe wasn't chatting so much, but I think the bonds of communication had already happened: Stuart is pretty much my race brother anyway and with Javi a little chat by the side of Loch Clair riding together was worth a million words; with Lee just a sideways glance to each other passing by in the rain leaving Okyel Bridge or in the sun leaving Kinlochewe was all that needed to be said.
At least that's how I see it.
I'm grateful to Liam for recognising the challenge I put up to him; I gave it everything to try to win. He validated my second place and I hope I did the same for his win.
Love to all HT riders from Philip A.

PS: I've already said that Alan is a genius and the HT is his masterpiece, but I'll say it again.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Some great words about that place you can get to, whatever we'd call, it here .. Good stuff. Amazing pics starting to show up also. Look forward to seeing more.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks like Ashraf Kamel is finished - something like 7 days and 8 hours or so :-bd . He's the last of the ITTers and I'm kind of guessing that Adam Zaviska has either finished or scratched and Zane Nelson appears to have been at the Loch Carron hotel for the last 24 hrs. Could be a spot failure or has he jumped on a train? Or is he still going??
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Not sure on Zane, we shall see.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've emailed Zane and asked him to twit you Greg. Not sure when his return flight is.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Zane reluctantly bowed out at Strathcarron and took the train. He was having bike problems and there aren't so many bike shops around there.
In his words:
"this has been an amazing race, I wish it didn't have to end!!! "
I'm sure he's still smiling.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Finding it difficult to believe that this actually happened. Hats off to Alan for having the ambition and determination to put together this dream journey in this magnificent country.

How does one get back to their usual life now?
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

boxelder wrote:Zane reluctantly bowed out at Strathcarron and took the train. He was having bike problems and there aren't so many bike shops around there.
In his words:
"this has been an amazing race, I wish it didn't have to end!!! "
I'm sure he's still smiling.
Was great doing the northern loop with Zane. We split at Kaylesku. Really nice guy, always upbeat and made the hiking so much easier for me. I'm glad he's fine. His plane is leaving on Tuesday I think.