heading upmarket

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Re: heading upmarket

Post by Mariner »

While we are on the subject I was looking at Backpackinglight web site when I noticed they had something called ‘Outdoor Toilet’. I immediately conjured up a vision of a one person small footprint tall tent or a cape that you just squat under with your head sticking out the top. Curiosity showed it only to be a trowel, bog roll, and lighter all in a ziplock bag.
Also on the page was a link to a Mountaineering Council of Scotland leaflet on best practice for taking a dump. It was quite enlightening reading the information and certainly made me think about current practice. This I assume is only applicable and only a recommendation for Scotland but should ‘we’ be adopting this as a code or will it be made mandatory?
The gist of the information seems to point to ‘taking it with you’ until you can drop it off at a collection point or flush down a loo but they also covered how to bury most effectively and the part I find quite illogical burning the paper. I understand the thinking and it makes sense but I also have a vision of several thousand acres of grouse moor burnt to a crisp. Best to readjust your clothing before setting light to anything.
It will be a sad day when bears no longer take a dump in the woods but given the increasing use of the outdoors and environmental concerns perhaps its coming. Will there be a Poo Police? Will we have to give dna samples just in case someone discovers where we have been? Will scientists in few thousand years be able to recreate a nomadic bikepacker reconstructed from the dna of some newly discovered fossilised poo?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Some people just do things for moral, now while she is no "girly girl" by any means, yes my partner takes makeup on every trip out.
I dont think it makes her any less "outdoorsy", we've all had to awkwardly pee outside (its not any easier for men if you wear Lycra bibs!) and she's proven herself at the type 2 fun.

But every morning we wake up in a tent she brushes her hair, puts on a small amount of makeup, tidies herself up and is happy to start riding. It just makes her feel better, kinda like me washing my feet and packing too many socks, its all moral.

We all have our different tolerances, I dont mind climbs, or roughing it outside, or eating cold food but I hate bugs and muddy conditions! she however will ride a bike down things bikes really shouldn't be ridden down, get filthy and doesn't flinch at cliff drops or jumps. Yet she wont be happy being cold at night (and is a cold sleeper) and enjoys the comfort of a tent to get changed and ready in.

If she has to take a makeup bag bikepacking to feel better and happier outdoors then let her, I dont think it makes her any less adventurous....along as she carries it herself that is :lol:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

'Outdoor Toilet'. When I go bikepacking I seem to "go" less often and "pass" less so really I'm doing the world and British sewers a favour by getting out there. :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think the MCS "pack it out" advice is aimed at the Cairngorms, or rather, that's the primary (ahem) target. Burying waste is part of the MBA code as well.

Such thinking is standard practice climbing big walls in Yosemite - a length of four inch pipe with screw top gets carried (well below the rest of the haul kit :shock: ) - without it there'd be crap covering every ledge.

Ray: Likewise, my frequency seems to reduce by an order of magnitude. (Thinks: that really isn't the best way of putting it :oops: )
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

HaYWiRe wrote: If she has to take a makeup bag bikepacking to feel better and happier outdoors then let her, I dont think it makes her any less adventurous....along as she carries it herself that is :lol:
Totally agree...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote:Ray: Likewise, my frequency seems to reduce by an order of magnitude. (Thinks: that really isn't the best way of putting it :oops: )

Generally as your consuming less, and your body is processing what you put in better due to increased demands. FWIW, I get this too. Used to get it even more so when doing Alpine routes with little gear and food.

It's the few days after a big weekend of riding that suck for me - I overcompensate on the mass production :|
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I could go for some glamping. Far away from all of you dirt covered heathens! :lol: