tarp tent help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

tarp tent help

Post by windjammer »

could do with some help in buying some kind of shelter, i struggle a lot with tent condensation must be a heavy breather so need lots of ventilation,im a big lad at 6 foot 3 so need something long around 2.4m long.i have a integral designs silwing but it doesnt offer rain protection at the entrance.
ill be using the shelter for summer only so need some kind of bug protection,ive seen a lot of those bear paw tarps but cant find any were to buy them in uk.thanks matt
Bearbonesnorm

Re: tarp tent help

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You can only get BearPaw products directly from the US Matt.

Two spring straight to mind, the SMD Lunar Solo although you'll need to check that it'd be long enough for you (hopefully somone can clarify) and the Trekkertent Stealth 1.5.

Both are fully bug-proof and well made but they're quite different. The SMD is a true tarptent so doesn't have a seperate inner, however the ventilation is pretty good. The Stealth is actually a stupidly light two skin tent with a seperate inner, so condensation is potentially much less of an issue.

Some of the Luxe shelters might also suit, although again, you'd need to check dimensions to make sure you'd fit - Have a look at the Mini Peak or Sil Twin Peak.
May the bridges you burn light your way
bryanwadd

Post by bryanwadd »

Take a look a the Zpacks stuff, I'm thinking of the Altaplex and maybe the Duoplex. Both very light and spacious in both height and width. They are a bit pricey though but I think they're probably worth it... well I hope they are, I have just ordered an Altaplex so can tell you what I think of it in a couple of months time once I've used it.

Bryan
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Lunar solo user here,I've said here before,I'm 5'11 and have room to use
Rucksack (when hiking) and clothes as a pillow, sorry. No pics though :roll:
Can't fault the design though, no condensation problems and I'm a hot/sweaty
Sleeper.....after initial concerns over the material and the palava of seam sealing
( bit fiddly), I can honestly say it's excellent. I found mine secondhand after
Reading Stu's excellent reviews.If I was getting one from the U.s I'd get it
Seam sealed at the factory :-bd
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Lunar Solo LE is worth looking at; its a little bigger than the standard model and should be OK for 6ft 3 if you are on your own - I got mine from posted from Arklight Designs - took about a week to arrive from ordering
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I like my lunar solo, It's is a very simple single pole pyramid tent with a sewn in groundsheet and bug proof door.
Headroom for sitting up is good and the porch is large porch for gear and cooking.
It packs small and is acceptably light. Mine is 677g + 80g for one of Stu's excellent poles + 8 x 10g pegs
At 6' tall i find it is just long enough with a neoair and a lofty sleeping bag so i would check out the LE for you
You will get condensation and end up packing a tent that is damp both inside and out. The fabrics dry quickly and don't hold much moisture so i have learnt to be relaxed about it.
Not the easiest thing to get a taut pitch first time but with practice you can do reasonably efficiently.
recommended for 3 season use. In horrid weather ( particularly high winds) i'd swich to something more sturdy.