An old company jumps on the bandwagon

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

An old company jumps on the bandwagon

Post by JohnClimber »

Looks interesting but knowing their other stuff it may be a tad heavy.

http://singletrackworld.com/2016/04/ort ... ing-range/

100% waterproof is one he'll of a claim
Mart

Re: An old company jumps on the bandwagon

Post by Mart »

Ive got some of their dry bags - certainly heavy duty but guaranteed for 5 years, but living up to its claim so far :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Pretty heavy if the quoted weights are correct. I suppose if the extra weight has been used to ruggedise and waterproof the bags it may be useful in certain circumstances.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The material looks similar (if not the same) as that used in their panniers which it has to be said is pretty sturdy stuff. Even so compare the saddle bag at 430g with a Wildcat Tiger(I think this is around 150g but it's not mentioned on their site) and Alpkit tapered airlock (150g) it's pretty heavy.

Edit: Ian's supplied the correct weight in his reply below
Last edited by whitestone on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
atk

Post by atk »

I don't think comparing Wildcat + Airlock to Ortlieb is that helpful.

A better comparison might be the 16L Ortlieb seatbag 430g and a 14L Revelate Viscacha 390g, 40g weight penalty for the waterproofing doesn't sound so bad... Or maybe the Revalate Terrapin is around 14L, 530g with their own waterproof drybag. Prices for the Ortlieb and Viscacha are almost the same too...
Ian

Post by Ian »

whitestone wrote:The material looks similar (if not the same) as that used in their panniers which it has to be said is pretty sturdy stuff. Even so compare the saddle bag at 430g with a Wildcat Tiger(I think this is around 150g but it's not mentioned on their site) and Alpkit tapered airlock (150g) it's pretty heavy.
The Tiger Wayfarer is 175g*
The Tiger Drover is 195g

Paired with a durable dry bag, it is both lightweight and 100% waterproof :wink:

*The Cuben version of the Wayfarer currently on display at Bespoked is 110g :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:
whitestone wrote:The material looks similar (if not the same) as that used in their panniers which it has to be said is pretty sturdy stuff. Even so compare the saddle bag at 430g with a Wildcat Tiger(I think this is around 150g but it's not mentioned on their site) and Alpkit tapered airlock (150g) it's pretty heavy.
The Tiger Wayfarer is 175g*
The Tiger Drover is 195g

Paired with a durable dry bag, it is both lightweight and 100% waterproof :wink:

*The Cuben version of the Wayfarer currently on display at Bespoked is 110g :shock:
Cheers Ian - I've got the weight noted at home on my "sad git"TM spreadsheet so was just guessing. :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

(it's not worth starting a new thread for this question so I ll use this one)

Does the extra rigidness help with bags? I ask as I'm a short ass and so I don't have a lot of room in the frame for bags. Hence I need to use seat/handlebar packs a lot more. I had some issues on my first trip with the alpkit drybag dropping on to the front wheel (so much so that it wore a hole in the bag when I did nt notice it had happened). Would a more rigid set up like an apidura or those ortleib bags be better? Or is it all much of a muchness and it's just about how hard you pull on the straps?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

At the front I am using a 7l Ortleib in my Wildcat Lion harness. Had a few good soakings in NZ recently and kept everything dry and to me worth the extra weight penalty for the waterproofing.

At the Tour Divide race in 2011 I spent a bit of time with a German based UK guy who was trying out some Ortleib kit for a future bikepacking range. At the time I remarked that I couldn't see the potential market being big enough for a big company like Ortleib (or Blackburn). He remarked they were looking to provide options for cyclists without rack mounts who wanted a weekend away. I am not always right, but I was wrong again.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

ddraver wrote:(it's not worth starting a new thread for this question so I ll use this one)

Does the extra rigidness help with bags? I ask as I'm a short ass and so I don't have a lot of room in the frame for bags. Hence I need to use seat/handlebar packs a lot more. I had some issues on my first trip with the alpkit drybag dropping on to the front wheel (so much so that it wore a hole in the bag when I did nt notice it had happened). Would a more rigid set up like an apidura or those ortleib bags be better? Or is it all much of a muchness and it's just about how hard you pull on the straps?
Afraid not really, or in my experience, no! I mount a pannier bar to my fork (through the eye let that the mud guard would go through) and this rigid bar keeps my dry bag off my front tyre. Easy bodge and cheap too. Zoom right in and you'll just about see it

Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

To stop my harness dropping onto the front wheel I use a strap to hold it up. You can see on this photo my SPoT attached to it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDlkIDhAnsl ... ackhound59
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

Thanks guys, so to put it bluntly, an apidura bag is going to be no more stable than an alpkit joey and an Airlock?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Im a huge fan of Orlieb stuff. My panniers and bar bag have been with me so long I cant remember life without them. Amazing products.

I wont be buying their bikepacking gear though - my Wildcat stuff suits me - versatile and adaptable very light, great value, very tough, UK made, "waterproof" in as much as my drybags are waterproof etc etc etc.

In comparison, the Ortlieb kit looks heavy and expensive. But what really turns me, is this silly twaddle from their website. In fact I could very easily get all ranty about it but I have to pick up my son from the roller disco, so will just leave it here for everyone to enjoy.

BIKEPACKING REDEFINED
Bikepacking is an outdoor adventure that starts where bike touring stops: at the end of paved roads.
If you want to feel simultaneously free and at home in nature, the combination of biking and sleeping outdoors is just the thing for you.
What you need: a gravel grinder, a mountain bike or fatbike, a thirst for adventure, and light baggage. The bikepacking equipment from ORTLIEB lets you set off immediately – for a long day‘s excursion, an overnight trip, or a multi-day tour.
With the different packs, you can quickly store everything you need over the whole bicycle so that it is compact and absolutely watertight.
Longer distances? Varied terrain? No problem at all! Thanks to the low overall weight, you will be sportily on the move and can fully satisfy your thirst for adventure.
I'm just going outside ...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

To be fair, that ortlieb blurb isn't the worst marketing description I've seen, I mean, it wasn't like that GT video that came out a last year :shock:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Looking at the official Ortlieb site the frame bag looks like it really let's the side down in the design stakes.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I mean, it wasn't like that GT video that came out a last year
That was a gamer changer, that was. :lol:
I'm just going outside ...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks to the low overall weight...[of the Ortlieb gear]
Compared to what? Panniers, I suppose...

It certainly isn't light compared to what others are producing :wink:
Last edited by Ian on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

*cough*

I've had a set for a while. If you were at DR200, you saw the rear one on my bike. I'll be running front and rear for the Divide.

Happy to field questions.

*cough*
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

Are you running them for the TD (very jealous btw) by choice or are you being "forced" to? ;)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I am running them very much by choice.

FWIW - I have a full set of Wildcat, Apidura and some Revelate kit. I'll be taking what works best. I've always mixed and matched!
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

see that says a lot eh?

Do you know when we might be able to get some ourselves? Is it days, weeks, months etc..?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ddraver wrote:see that says a lot eh?

Do you know when we might be able to get some ourselves? Is it days, weeks, months etc..?
Deffo does - I tend not to run things that don't do what I want. Always experiment, always think.

I don't know exact dates, I'll ask the guys at Lyon for you. I'm not certain on dates - I know they worked hard to get me a set in the lead to the TD. Which is ace.
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

Just an FYI - our america cousins have written a review - http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/ortlieb ... ck-review/
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ddraver wrote:Just an FYI - our america cousins have written a review - http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/ortlieb ... ck-review/
Pretty much agree with it all.

Main thing for me - the rear bag is out of the way when pedalling. As they mention, those of us with bigger thighs can get a bit of bother, I've had zero with the Ortlieb one in comparison to my old Revelate one - or my current Apidura one.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Not an expert, but looking at it's fixings and the review over say the Wildcat Tiger.
The thinner pointy end, longer length, larger load (over the Alpkit tapered bag) and simple wrap around fixings to the saddle and seat post, I "guess" this heavier unit will swing quite a bit way out back in an annoying way.
Plus my stumpy legs would struggle to get over the much longer rear end