Fork mounted bottles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Clanton

Fork mounted bottles

Post by Clanton »

I am keen to avoid carrying water on my back. I got a partial frame bag with the idea that I could use both bottle cages below this but it will only allow for one, and this is pretty tight. I then got a gorilla clip and mounted one bottle under the downtube with predictable, filthy results.

So now considering getting another gorilla clip and going for fork mount options. Thing is in my mind this would make the front of the bike very wide and I am worried about cathcing these bottles on everything - rocks/ruts/bushes etc.

Who is using fork mounted bottles? D they work well? Stay clean? Any bottle losses/over the bars due to a bottle in the spoke issues? Photos of how they look on the bike would be ideal!

Thanks!
macinblack

Re: Fork mounted bottles

Post by macinblack »

I have these mounted on my forks - They haven't caused me any width issues (missus) so can't see bottles being a problem.

Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Got an elite bottle strap for one mount and the low rider mount on the fork for the other.

Works well. Not ideal to drink from but i tend to swap out the empty to the fork leg.

I would put my 600ml fuel bottle there but the 1 litre i took on this trip means my fuel pump would hit the down tube, not that i turn that far but in a crash or what ever it would mean no stove :(
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Always have fork mounted bottles on my Fargo. No more goop than in the frame mounts. Narrower than the bars so haven't clipped much more than I would otherwise.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I use a bottle as low down on the down tube as it will go fitted to Elite bottle boss mounts. it used to get mucky but now I use a 'fat gut fender' which is wide and long enough that it protects the bottle (as well as me!) not the prettiest of things but it works well so is nearly never off my bike.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I moved my bottle cage onto a fork leg a couple of weeks ago using elite straps, it worked great until I hit a particularly rough descent and I lost the bottle somewhere and no way I was going back up to find it! One of the kids came home from swimming last week and still had her coloured band on, I have put it to good use holding the bottle in place, problem solved! No issues with weight or balance even though I only have one
Clanton

Post by Clanton »

Thanks for the repleis. looks like it could be a viable option for me then.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Stem cells are great for bottles too. Have used bottles on my forks and it works well

rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

@ Mac

What do you carry in those tubes?
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

I wondered that too, also I have a sudden hankering for pringles...
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

rando nomad wrote:@ Mac

What do you carry in those tubes?
Usually my Trekkertent, poles & pegs, sleeping mat & pillow, pump and usually get in an item of clothing and a few small items. So far they have been very stable, though I'm going to cut another set of tubes down a bit.