Decent usb chargable compact camera.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Trail-rat

Decent usb chargable compact camera.

Post by Trail-rat »

After my battery on my exlim dying on day 2 of holiday and taking phone camera picks for the rest im after a camera that can be charged from my usb battery pack or my cycle 2 charge.

Exlim needs a big charger unit that can only be charged from a wall point.

100-150 is my budget - erring to lower end as it lives on my shoulder strap and may get damaged. - the exlim is dented to buggery :)

Aa batteries are out as mrs t-r will be taking it to rwanda for 4 weeks in summer and carrying/ sourcing a stock of aa's likely wont be easily possible- but charging her battery pack is likely to be so the previous attendees say.
johnnystorm

Re: Decent usb chargable compact camera.

Post by johnnystorm »

Get a phone with a better camera!

I've given up on compacts and bridges as 99% of the time my phone will have been just as good and gets backed up and shared more easilt with people who want to view the pics. My last couple of phones have also been waterproof. When I was in Kiruna my iPhone 4S worked fine at -20 while my Nikon would switch on, the screen would go dim and the lens would half retract. Both were stored in my jacket.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Phone needs many more button presses to make work and cannot be operated one handed while riding is my main issue with that idea amongst others,

I like to keep my phone in a waterproof pack in my backpack so its availible incase of emergency.

Id prefer a usb chargable camera.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Sony Xperia use here and it's great for good, memory photos. Lacks many features of my mini DSLR but is gets used a lot more.

My mini DSLR is great for occasions, days out with the family but for riding etc, my phone wins everytime. Spent a few days snow shoeing in March, DSLR was in my bag and my phone in my pocket and my Go Pro in the other. Go pro was used a few times, DSLR was never used but I took about a hundred or so with my phone. Quality wasn't bad either but more importantly, I got the photos I wanted hassle free and with little disturbance to the pace
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just saw your reply, was typing at the same time.

Sony can be operated with one hand, press the on button once, then the camera button. All are proper buttons on the outside of the phone, quick and easy. The Sony is also Waterproof but not very tough!

Have you thought of a go pro or such like? I've not been impressed with mine but think I'm one of few who doesn't like them. Quality is good but thought the battery was poor
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

So, back to cameras..

My wee Lumix TZ40 can be charged via USB, is easily operated with one hand and fits in a top-tube bag for easy access. It has a good iAuto mode and video. Built in GPS can be useful for geolocation but can run away with batteries.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Trail-rat wrote:Phone needs many more button presses to make work and cannot be operated one handed while riding is my main issue with that idea amongst others,

I like to keep my phone in a waterproof pack in my backpack so its availible incase of emergency.

Id prefer a usb chargable camera.
As Simon says the Xperia takes pics by just pushing the shutter button and is easily done single handed. My Samsung opens straight into the camera by clicking the home button twice. You can spend a tenner on a battery to charge it if you run it flat or the same on cheapo phone for emergencies.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't have a phone but do have an ipod touch. The camera's very good and made all the better with a cheap app or two. Smaller than a phone and lighter, easy to use one handed and it obviously has many additional uses.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Thanks colin. Ill go take a look at that range.

The other reason i dont like phones is that i often take pictures on the fly while moving. I tie a lanyard to the case and camera - and the case to my shoulder strap. If i get caught out by a descent or an obstacle. I just drop the cam and let it hang off the lanyard.

I have totally gone off using my phone as a camera even though it does half decent pictures(but not as good as my cameras). - much as i dont use it as a gps - as its crippled or a music player as its crippled (i like radio). Infact it does phone and internet only
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Trail-rat wrote: I have totally gone off using my phone as a camera even though it does half decent pictures(but not as good as my cameras). - much as i dont use it as a gps - as its crippled or a music player as its crippled (i like radio). Infact it does phone and internet only
At the risk of labouring a point all of those issues can be addressed by upgrading your phone and I'm sure a lanyard case can be obtained.

Xperia and Galaxy phones have GPS/glonass and back country navigator app will put all of the UK (and pretty much anywhere in the world) at 1:25k in HD with gpx routing on your phone for about a tenner, they'll have built in FM radios too.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

well i upgraded my phone and still its a crap idea.

so i bought a olympus tough tg-4

Plus i have so many photos taken on phone cameras that id like to have printed out for use on the wall - only to find that even at max res when put onto a proper screen they look poor show. fine for posting to the internet and not much more.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

If, if you can stretch to £200 - you can find Sony RX100s at that price. Very, very good camera for its size.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

I got a Fuji XP80, waterproof, robust, USB charging, adequate picture quality, Wi-Fi's pictures to you phone (with app on phone), lots of funky photo effects, sits in my little stem/top tube bag for easy access, ton-up on ebay.
Never knowingly under biked...
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

looked at the rx100 camera greg but given my wifes track record with cameras i decided a little picture quality (still exceeds anything ive seen from any phone to date across a number of light conditions) was worth while for it to be waterproof, dust proof and crush resistant to 100kg.

I know the budget was 130-150 but we found some john lewis vouchers from our wedding that needed using before end of date so it cost us 130 quid in the end :D

its waiting at the post office for me to go and get on the way home :D