Asfalt tyre for 29'er

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

LSJ

Asfalt tyre for 29'er

Post by LSJ »

Ladies and Gentlemen.

A totally non bike packing related post, but a very frustrated user here. :((
I commute to work by bike (quite common here in Denmark), 10 km to work, and 3 times a week also 40-100 km home. I thought I had it nailed for my 29'er. Bought the 2016 model of Schwalbe Big one. very comfy tyre, fast rolling on asfalt (Bike path , which is also very common here). But the fast rolling is totally eaten by the ammount of time fixing punctures. I am fully aware that the tyre comes in 2 versions, and I have the snakesking TL easy verion. What a fecking useless tyre. I know its wintertime, and we have some flin on the roads. But I have never experienced the ammount of flats like I do now. No two days without a puncture, some times every day ~X( . (And yes I have checked for stones in tyres every stop, checked if it is the same spot on route I get the flat and all..No pattern in the punctures at all.)

So can this vast repository of knowledge in this forum reccomend me a tyre (not tube-less, need to be tyre and tube), for a 29'er. Of course fast rolling, High puncture resistance, grip like glue, and a million million miles. And at minimum cost.

If all 5 is to difficult, resonably fast rolling, high puncture resistance and reasnable price will suffice.. (and width 2.0 to 2.2) Right now I look at continental double fighter 3, or Schwalbe Smart Sam plus perfomance green guard...

Thanks in advance

A very frustrated Lars
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Asfalt tyre for 29'er

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Always been a fan of Race Kings - they do the fast rolling well, don't seem puncture prone, come in 2" and 2.2" and can be had quite cheaply.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have some duremes in 50mm, ridden on and off road without a single puncture in about 2years!
They roll OK, though of course not as well as I imagine a 35-40 would. Often on sale at the likes of CRC or Wiggle. Marathon XRs worth a look too?
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

I would suggest a marathon plus mtb
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... prod143787

or a normal marathon plus is the biggest width you can find. i think they go to 38c

running them for a couple of years now and not one puncture
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I've ridden hundreds of km on my land cruisers without an issue. My wife uses them for commuting as well again ever had a puncture. Great on Tarmac and good enough on other non tech stuff. And £14 quid a pop.

http://m.nextdaytyres.co.uk/Tyre-Detail ... .9&mfrid=2

Edit : 29x1.75 is as big as they come. But a great fit and forget commuting tyre.
Last edited by HopeValleyPaul on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atk

Post by atk »

Are your rims tubeless-ready/friendly/compatible/bodge-able? If you have TL-easy tyres, maybe that would solve the puncture problem...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I don't like tempting fate, so I'm not going to brag, but I've commuting on some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (700x32) since April last year, they've been absolutely ace. I reckon I've done a couple of thousand miles on them at least

They'll fit your 29er fine

They're not light, but they're very reliable and that's all I care about for my commute. Can't take the mud at all, but they're fine on gravelly tracks and hardpack surfaces (but they're mostly ridden on the road)

Have a nice reflective band round the edge too Not as compliant as many others, but I rarely find myself racing, just pottering at different paces depending on how I'm feeling at the time
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

+1 for marathons - the bog standard wire beaded ones can be had for under £15 each - they weigh a ton but its good for training and they last ages and take a lot of abuse.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

maybe its more tread than you need but Markus Stitz now has 12,000km trouble free on his Schwalbe Marathon Mondials

halfway(ish) through his round the world single speed trip...
LSJ

Post by LSJ »

Thanks for all the replies.

I went with the Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard (3 mm latex puncture maduda, instead of the 5 mm in the Marathon plus). Reason, they make the marathon greenguard in a 50mm version, that will fit a 29'er (700x50C/622-50/28X2.0).
That scould do the trick.

Lars
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

Sounds like a good choice Lars.