Starter Sleeping Bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

somersetpaul

Starter Sleeping Bag?

Post by somersetpaul »

Yes I know.... there are probably ,000s of posts on here about bags but................. what can people recommend?

1. Under £70ish
2. Small pack size
3. Not concerned about what filling (synthetic, down, etc)
4. I am a warm sleeper

Give me some ideas, please....

Thank you
whitestone

Re: Starter Sleeping Bag?

Post by whitestone »

Is this for summer use? I've a synthetic filled Snugpack bag, not a tiny pack size but certainly not voluminous. Just checked their site and they have a few models suitable for summer - http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping ... =249%2C250

My bag is probably twenty years old so I've no experience of their current range.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ootini

Post by ootini »

Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Snugpak softie 3, http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/offers/s ... -clearance
Used mine down to about 0, still going strong after nearly 4 years. If you're anywhere near the factory in silsden go in and the one I linked to is £35 direct.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

i started with a traveler 3 .... i live in scotland and the midge net cover over the hood is a godsend on midsummer bivvies.

be careful its addictive.... I now have a NF blue kazoo down bag for frosty nights and im looking for a lightweight low pack summer bag now
somersetpaul

Post by somersetpaul »

Thanks Ben98..... just ordered one so fingers crossed it gets here quickly
Templogin

Post by Templogin »

Sometimes worth looking online at Field and Trek for decent prices. Part of Sports Direct though, so you haven't got to mind zero hours contracts. I got a slim down bag from them for £82, but I don't think it would be much use in winter. Robens was the make.

Snugpak has been metioned here. I have a synthetic bag from them (can't remember the model (not at home at the moment either)), but that was OK and packed down small.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Sale-Outd ... eTClvtjMFA

i have this (the light weight green one next to the coke can for scaile) for bike packing its tiny light and warm enough for summer, made from nice quality down , has lasted well . and use it in winther with a home made down quilt on top , super light super small , and exelent chinees value ! the heavyer one will be pretty warm too
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Single Speed George wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Sale-Outd ... eTClvtjMFA

i have this (the light weight green one next to the coke can for scaile) for bike packing its tiny light and warm enough for summer, made from nice quality down , has lasted well . and use it in winther with a home made down quilt on top , super light super small , and exelent chinees value ! the heavyer one will be pretty warm too
Mmmm, live plucked down (possibly) :sad:
Single Speed George

Ben98 wrote:
Single Speed George wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Sale-Outd ... eTClvtjMFA

Mmmm, live plucked down (possibly) :sad:
maby maby not but no way to know, its good value verry light and pretty good down. the saving on labor and material costs alone would probably make the savings even if not live plucked, based on the cost savings we can make at work (im a product designer) when we out source to china for bits and bobs (not much but have looked at source some tooling etc). i mean you only have to look at the head torches alpkit sell that are from ningbow industrial area (or similar)http://soars.en.alibaba.com/product/602 ... dlamp.html , can buy them from the suppliers for less than 5 quid a pop (as alp kit and others black dimond etc will be doing)
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

then theres the part where that ebay bag looks like some sort of shiny fetish gear.

Not being a snob but a bag is safety critical gear imo - its one of the few items i double dry bag.... although depends if your going into the mountains or into the woods at the back of the halifax in swindon where theres an easy escape.

has it passed any kind of testing ?

im all for cheap gear but theres ethical and safety questions to be asked when it comes to some cheap gear.
Single Speed George

Trail-rat wrote:then theres the part where that ebay bag looks like some sort of shiny fetish gear.

Not being a snob but a bag is safety critical gear imo - its one of the few items i double dry bag.... although depends if your going into the mountains or into the woods at the back of the halifax in swindon where theres an easy escape.

has it passed any kind of testing ?

im all for cheap gear but theres ethical and safety questions to be asked when it comes to some cheap gear.
well all i can say is i have used it for about 12 months now, used it hapily on its own through sumemr then with my home made quilt through winter, used it in bb200 , WHW, winter bivy et etc , when i compare the down feel with this and my dads PHD quilt , its justs as soft and fluffy, only bad points are its through stitched not baffeled. fabric is shiny but it is verry light and seems tough enough. so ye. tbh the chinees are now designing equipmet as well as manufacturing and they seem ok at it

though i do have a big rab bag for seriouse winter stuff where weight is less of an isue aka base camps when skiing and climbing