Avimore locals?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Avimore locals?

Post by Teetosugars »

Anyone?
Looking at getting the Sleeper train up, riding for the weekend, then back home..
Any route/ advice gladly taken..
Gari

Re: Avimore locals?

Post by Gari »

How far are you looking to cover etc? overnighting or staying in town? Circular route or out and back etc? The trails are a little wet in places but plenty rideable.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Gari wrote:How far are you looking to cover etc? overnighting or staying in town? Circular route or out and back etc? The trails are a little wet in places but plenty rideable.
Not sure Gari, planning on riding out from Avimore, I know there's a few bothies in the area Faindouran, Corrour & the likes?
Not looking at huge distances, maybe 50miles a day? But looking at a circular loop back into town to get the train back home..
Gari

Re: Aviemore locals?

Post by Gari »

Faindouran is a little out of the way, and would mean a run along the A'an burn, which may be a little moist at the moment, or going back to the Tomintoul-loch Builg track. Corrour has you into the Laraigh Ghru, again, unless you are looking to ride through to Rothiemurchus would require a retreat back to the outer loop/Glenfeshie track.
You could go through Glenfeshie and overnight at bob Scotts bothy, by Derry Lodge. Day 2 up Glen derry, over Bynack Mhor and down into riven-Glenmore and then down the logging way back to Aviemore.
Gonna be wet/boggie through the Feshie mind, and you would need to cross the Fords of A'an but I think the worst of the run off is done, and it is due to get a little colder which will help with(reducing) runoff.

A little shorter but, you could do the Dulnain Glen which would take you over some of Wade's old roads, including the Sluggan bridge, through the Dulnain and over the Burma road, great descent into Linwylg and a few KMs back to Aviemore. Most folk suggest clockwise, I prefer it counter as it gives a great "reveal" of the cairngorm range as you crest the top of the Geal-charn Mor Bealach/track, and the descent is much better that way.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Bit rough but you get the idea, do be aware though that both routes will have some river crossing and/or bog to contend with, the second route more than the first in terms of actual river crossings.
There is a bothy on the first route, just before the Burma road, basically where the track comes in on the left, by the dog leg. Also the Burma road is the track to the left that cuts in diagonally, I highlighted the wrong track in my rush. It is pretty obvious on the ground though. I can furnish you with a more accurate route once you have decided, if you want one. The Feshie route is basically part of the CL inner loop, in the opposite direction, again I would do it Counter clockwise personally, but it will go either way tbh. The loop through the Dulnain Glen will be somewhat dryer I imagine.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Gari,
You my friend, are a star.
Many, many thanks..
I'll have a good look at the route when I'm on something bigger than my iphone..
But many thanksPal.
Truly appreciated.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This weekend Nick? Check out the latest weather forecast before planning to go too high. Looks like we might (finally) have a decent fall on Thursday. That might rule out the Burma Road options.

If it's another weekend, let me know in advance and I'll see if I can join you for a day or so.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

ScotRoutes wrote:This weekend Nick? Check out the latest weather forecast before planning to go too high. Looks like we might (finally) have a decent fall on Thursday. That might rule out the Burma Road options.
No Colin, just thinking aloud for later on.. will give you a shout when I am, it's your back garden isn't it now?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not all of it, no :-)
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

"You could go through Glenfeshie and overnight at bob Scotts bothy, by Derry Lodge. Day 2 up Glen derry, over Bynack Mhor and down into riven-Glenmore and then down the logging way back to Aviemore."

Just be aware that the deeside rivers are still high and that we just had some decent snow fall at low level today......

Heading into Glen Dye this weekend my self , test out some new kit.

Forecast down to -8.... The wifes new down bag is good for -15 comfort....... bet shes still cold
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Any suggestions for where to take the fatbike around Aviemore tomorrow?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Cheers for that.
GregV

Post by GregV »

I'm hoping to get up to aviemore 12th & 13th April depending on weather. Poss going to have a go at one of the routes gari has posted. Any advice on the state of the trails? Cheers, Greg
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As you say, "depending on weather".

FWIW, the soil round here dries out pretty quickly so it's rare to have long-lasting muddy trails (though I know of a few).

Snow is now confined to the upper slopes, though we could still have frosty mornings/nights.

Some of the flood damage from last year has already been repaired.
GregV

Post by GregV »

ScotRoutes wrote:As you say, "depending on weather".

FWIW, the soil round here dries out pretty quickly so it's rare to have long-lasting muddy trails (though I know of a few).

Snow is now confined to the upper slopes, though we could still have frosty mornings/nights.

Some of the flood damage from last year has already been repaired.
Cheers. Fingers crossed for a decent forecast.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Had to scrape ice (not frost) off the car windscreen this morning.