The Ridgeway.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

custardfeet

The Ridgeway.

Post by custardfeet »

Planning to ride part of The Ridgeway from Chippenham to Goring and back over Easter. About 120 miles in total, taking two days, anyone fancy joining me?
Taylor

Re: The Ridgeway.

Post by Taylor »

I'll be doing it the first weekend in July.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Let me know if you both do this and I can ride up to Liddington Hill and either offer support or abuse
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Dave Barter wrote:Let me know if you both do this and I can ride up to Liddington Hill and either offer support or abuse
Will do
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

I am based near the Ridgeway. I would love to join, but already have plans away that weekend! Have fun!
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Taylor - Damn, I'm in the States first weekend of July as well.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

planning on bivvying it? The ridgeway is something I've been looking at for a while. Do-able on a CX bike?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

The wife has told me she's dropping me off at Swindon on the Saturday morning. Time tbc. (June 2nd)
My instructions are to be at the top end of the ridgeway by Sunday lunchtime for a family party(big anniversary).
I'll be allowed a lift home from Harpendon.
Pace will be enjoyable rather than smashing it out.
If anyone is wanting to join me your more than welcome.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I will accompany you assuming we're around that weekend
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

Pete-G wrote:planning on bivvying it? The ridgeway is something I've been looking at for a while. Do-able on a CX bike?
Pete, think your near me? Have read that people have done it on CX bikes, but chalk is very slippery when wet. I'm planning on riding to Goring and back (120 miles) over the Easter Weekend and thinking it would be safer and easier on a mountain bike.
Lump

Post by Lump »

Anyone got a GPX they fancy sharing ?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

At the bottom of this page is the gpx

http://ridgewaydouble.net
Lump

Post by Lump »

Fantastic, thank you :)
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Need trip reports once you've done it! This is definitely on my list at some point, the start isn't a million miles away from home
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

custardfeet wrote:
Pete-G wrote:planning on bivvying it? The ridgeway is something I've been looking at for a while. Do-able on a CX bike?
Pete, think your near me? Have read that people have done it on CX bikes, but chalk is very slippery when wet. I'm planning on riding to Goring and back (120 miles) over the Easter Weekend and thinking it would be safer and easier on a mountain bike.
Not a million miles away, Gloucester. Still building up the required kit, seem to keep spending it on bikes :grin:
Yeah, I've ridden the chalk a few times, its always interesting in the wet regardless of tyre sizes.
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

Thinking of sticking on some knobbly 2.35 I have lying around. Hoping they might help a little.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

custardfeet wrote:
I've ridden almost all of it on a CX bike. You'll be fine as long as it has not been pissing it down for days.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It's certainly all ridable on a cx bike.

I don't think my body would have coped doing it all on a cx bike though, my rigid 26er was enough thanks.

...Maybe if I was fitter.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Mike and I did it on cx bikes - luckily it was very dry as I would have been a nightmare in the wet. It was doable but maybe not that comfortable in the dry :)

We did bivi though - the best spot was in the neolithic fort . . . . Who needs a b&b when you can sleep there instead?!
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Hi all. Lots of good places to bivy off the Ridgeway, particularly from Streatley westwards. One of my favourite spots, near Barbury Castle...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Natio ... b8a48bfa36

Ground is likely to be a bit slippy/sloppy in places but should be rideable at least. The Ridgeway in winter is responsible for me being a singlespeed for the past 5 years or so (broken mech hanger caused by too much thick muck). Just take care on the wet chalk!
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

I attempted this in November, and only got 6miles in before the storm and gust of wind gave me mild hypothermia, ( I shouldn't have been out after just getting over a viral) it was almost un-riderable in the wet, with mud at the beginning that is very very rutted going up hill, something I only ever experienced in the lakes.
Going back to do again soon and hope it is dryer, for the most part general purpose tyre are fine but in the wet slim mud tyres are needed.
Even on a dry day there is a lot of wind chill all along the ridge way so wind stopper under vest or jersey is worth a thought.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

What are the transport links for this like at either end?

Is it possible to park at one end and then get the train back to the start?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hi Dan, at the Chilterns end there's train stations at Tring and Berkhamsted that take you to Euston, both are within 5-7 miles from Ivinghoe Beacon. it's a short pedal from Euston to Paddington and the main line to Swindon. Swindon station is a 13 mile ride from Ovington Hill end but it's not the most pleasant road - not too bad, just memories of it being narrow and a lot of traffic.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks James. Just what I was looking for.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Can you inbox me the exact dates please, and where you are starting from, I need to finish this ride from last year. Am happy to tag along if you are?
Also where will you be coming from?