Flat pedal users - A question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Flat pedal users - A question

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sadly the Sugru repair on my 5:10's gave up last weekend so I'm looking to replace them. Looking at various options and wondered whether anyone had tried Shimano AM41 shoes? Price seems reasonable and I like the idea that the 'lace cover' might keep a certain amount of water out.

Anyone have any experience?

Ta,
May the bridges you burn light your way
atk

Re: Flat pedal users - A question

Post by atk »

Had the clipless version - seem to remember them being pretty comfortable, the lace cover did provide some protection but in the end they would soak up and hold quite a lot of water.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've heard people mention the splashproofing abilities of the AM41 (although I think they've now been superceded by a new model), but I can't get over the fact they look a bit special

Liking my Teva Links, so much that I bought a second pair for when these ones die. They discontinued them. Take an age to dry when they're wet though
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

My daughter wears a pr of AM 41 shoes for trail riding and DH. The lace flap is good as it prevents the laces migrating into the transmission. They arent as grippy as Teva and 5.10 which she likes as she can reposition her feet by slightly unweighting, which isnt as easy in the grippier marques.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AM41s are the only "proper" flat shoes I own. I've certainly found them grippy enough on the pedal but I suspect that's down to choice of pedals.

Grip on wet or loose terrain is, however, atrocious and they are definitely not what I'd choose for any substantial hike-a-bike.

The flap does keep them reasonably dry but also makes them harder to dry off when they get wet inside.

I'm not bothered how they look. I guess I already look ridiculous enough not to care.
ton

Post by ton »

I ride in flats now all the time. got some 5/10 for mtb duties, but for day to day commutes I have been using these.

http://ridgemontoutfitters.com/products ... e-outback/

waterproof leather, stiff grippy sole............and most important.....cool :cool:

cheap on sportspursuits
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

I use 510's in the drier weather and walking boots over the winter months (with aldi waterproof socks), plenty of pedal grip on both, oh I even use the cheap plastic superstar pedals, very very light and have stood up to some proper abuse, im Hoping one of their crimbo day sales brings them up cos im going to get some more :)
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm on my fifth pair of Innov8 fell-running shoes for riding flats.

They're light as a feather, the grippiest thing in the world and often discounted on Sports pursuit (or elsewhere).

I usually go for something in the Roclite series (295's, 315's or 312gtx ones for example).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm on my fifth pair of Innov8 fell-running shoes fit riding flats.
Funny you should say that. I used to have a pair (now have large bits of a pair). As you say, very light and comfy but sadly, I can't find the same model anywhere. I forget the name but they were more boot than shoe with a Goretex lining.

EDIT: They were Terrafly, looked like this.

Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I've got salamon fell raisers, totally un waterproof but dry out quickly and great for hike a bike. I wear them with a pair of thick smart wool socks and if camping have a pair of the same socks for dry camp/sleeping bag socks.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I'm on my 2nd pair of AM41's - I think they are great, not too heavy or clumpy like some of the 510's and grip is excellent on decent flat pedals.

The lace flap does a half decent job of keeping water/crap out of them but they still get wet if its heavy rain.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Had plenty of five tens, got the shimano am's, flap doesn't make much difference.

Next on my list is some adidas terrex. Since they bought five-ten they've started using stealth rubber in their outdoor range.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like the idea of these with an inbuilt gaiter but can't justify £130 for a pair.

Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Before I used spd's, I was using hi tec Sierra lite waterproofs which I think are really good. Light, grippy to walk in but flat soled enough for good pedal grip and the cut of the ankle is perfect for riding. Oh, and they're cheap :-bd .
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I like the idea of these with an inbuilt gaiter but can't justify £130 for a pair.

Had a mate who had some of these and loved 'em but agree about the price.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Fell shoes for me as well, just about killed my inov8 flyrocs so looking for something similar. Irritatingly, inov8 seem to have discontinued these. Might try a pair of roc lites as mentioned above. Only problem i have is cold feet in winter. Tempted by a gore tex pair, but suspect these will be just as cold once soaked and take ages to dry out
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Im enjoying using la sportiva anakondas with inov8 debris gaiters (Poor man's version of your photo?) whilst on v12 flats - they've been working well thru the gloop on Dartmoor. Im going to add some seal skin socks to this combination.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

At the risk of going against the consensus why not go for a 'mountain approach shoe'?
You get a robust construction with torsional rigidity and a grippy sole for the HAB bits.
Can be GTex or not and low mid or boot style.
Add a gaiter and you have wellies.
I am on the look out for some good old fashioned leather low boots that I can use good old fashioned dubbin on.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
FLV

Post by FLV »