15mm through axle uber alles?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ctznsmith

15mm through axle uber alles?

Post by ctznsmith »

Is QR nigh on dead for MTB and 'gravel'/adventure forks?

I ask as my SP Dynamo hub has started to exhibit play in the bearings.
(3 years, 12k+ miles and I think I killed it with a jetwash :roll:).

I was already thinking about building up some new wide rimmed mtb wheels in the new year using one of the SP 15mm through axle hubs to 'futureproof' them and the 35mm Vapour rims Halo are bringing out (hence the new year).
(£150 hub + £50 rim)

However now I could do with a new front sooner rather than later (so I can send my current hub away to have bearings replaced).

I have a touring rim hung in the garage. Do I sack off future proofing?

Options:
1. cross fingers and hope hub lasts until new year, build wheel as above and run a wide 'slick' tyre for a bit whilst bearings replaced (£150+£50+spokes+tyre)

2. buy a standard QR SP hub now and build onto touring rim. Send off current hub and rebuild onto wide rim in new year (£80+spokes)

3. buy a 15mm SP hub now and build on to a velocity blunt 35 rim. (£150+£75+spokes+tyre)

Internet give me with you founded and unfounded crystal ball opinions!! :wink:
johnnystorm

Re: 15mm through axle uber alles?

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm going for option 3 but with a Blunt SS :-bd
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

johnnystorm wrote:I'm going for option 3 but with a Blunt SS :-bd
...but then I don't have the option to run 29+ up front if I want to.
(and nothing really to gain over the current rim apart from more easy tubeless setup)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Doesn't the 15mm version of the hub come supplied with a qr adaptor? So you could get a 15mm version and use it in your current forks and it will still fit a 15mm fork in the future.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
mjsmart

Post by mjsmart »

I think the PD-8X's ship with a converter axle so you can use a normal 9mm QR anyway.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Yeah that's kind of the point/the question I'm asking.

Do I 'futureproof' or not?

I mean I have no plans for new bikes/forks but never say never...but what are people's opinions on whether everything worth buying will essentially go through axle?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In that case definitely go for the 15mm version, it's a bit more expensive, but as you say it's future proof and it would also be easier to sell on if you ever wanted to. Also, have they had to use larger bearings to allow for the 15mm axle? If so that would be an advantage as well?
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

sean_iow wrote:In that case definitely go for the 15mm version, it's a bit more expensive, but as you say it's future proof and it would also be easier to sell on if you ever wanted to. Also, have they had to use larger bearings to allow for the 15mm axle? If so that would be an advantage as well?
Pretty sure it's the same hub shell so your physical balls are smaller which is a bad thing.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The SP website says they have "internally increased bearing diameters for added mechanical strength" but this could be just the inner diameter, it depends on how you interpret it. It would be worth checking as this would sway it back to a qr version. I'll have to go 15mm for mine as I've got a 15mm fork on my MTB so it would be nice to know what they have done to accommodate the larger axle.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

ctznsmith wrote:Pretty sure it's the same hub shell so your physical balls are smaller which is a bad thing.
I take it back...it's a different hub shell. So bearing life shouldn't be a consideration.

Why is the most logical option always also the most expensive? :roll:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I got my 15mm SP dynamo from a German bike shop through eBay. It was £90 but didn't have the adaptor, no probs as I don't need one but they are only £15 on CRC anyway. I think I recall either Rob Dean or Composite saying the 15mm hub was more efficient than the QR one. Regardless of immediate needs I'd get a 15mm axle one, if nothing else should you want to sell it'll appeal to a wider audience.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've got one of each. Can't say I've ever noticed a difference in the feel of the bearings. In future I will only buy the 8x which does come with the QR adapter, unless they bring out another one for the new width forks.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think I recall either Rob Dean or Composite saying the 15mm hub was more efficient than the QR one.
I have the specs from SP here, it's marginally more efficient but at off-road speeds it's nothing worth noting - or every little helps if a watt or 2 counts, depends on your take on it.
The 15mm adapter version seems a good future-proofer if you're chaning bikes/forks. I guess it's a bit heavier but same as a thru-axle and nothing I'd be bothered by.