Garmin Etrex Vista HCx

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Garmin Etrex Vista HCx

Post by ootini »

Anyone have any experience or reviews of the Etrex Vista HCx GPS unit ?
Thanks
JohnClimber

Re: Garmin Etrex Vista HCx

Post by JohnClimber »

I had one, it was very basic but ok for following a trail.

Got a Dakota gps now and wouldn't go back
ootini

Post by ootini »

All I'm really after is the ability to load a gpx file, see a map and follow the line I guess. What is it the Dakota does that the Vista didn't, if you don't mind me asking ?
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've got one. Very slow scrolling and processing.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Dan_K wrote:I've got one. Very slow scrolling and processing.
Too slow to keep up with riding speed and be useful ?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

You are no able to upload OS maps to a Vista but you can to a Dakota
ootini

Post by ootini »

I've seen a couple on eBay with 'talky toaster' maps installed ?
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

ootini wrote:
Dan_K wrote:I've got one. Very slow scrolling and processing.
Too slow to keep up with riding speed and be useful ?
I'd pay the extra and get a newer device. It's like buying a 5 year old phone, technology's moved on.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Dan_K wrote:I'd pay the extra and get a newer device. It's like buying a 5 year old phone, technology's moved on.
This.

I had two Etrex Legend HCx units between 2008 and 2012 and at the time they were great for the road riding I was doing, with the Garmin road mapping on it; scrolled quickly enough, gave you a line to follow from a gpx track file etc.

However, for offroad it was virtually useless. I used my unit on the 2011 WRT, for which we'd come up with a provisional track which I had on the unit. Following this track blindly was fine for a while, but trying to work out where you were or deviate onto something more interesting-looking was basically impossible without getting the paper OS maps out.

It was that WRT and some other local riding that convinced me I needed to get a newer Etrex 30 and put OS mapping on it, and I would never, ever, ever go back.

Something else to consider if you're buying a second hand Etrex Vista: the reason I had two was they all suffered from the same mode of failure - rattle death. The internal electronics shock themselves apart in what I would call normal use (ie on the handlebars), which eventually Garmin refused to warranty (I suspect because they had so many claims!). You could repair them by taking them apart, but they rattled themselves to death again after a while and it was tricky to get them completely waterproof again, which lead to the end of my first unit by water ingress. So, I would never consider a second hand one of these units unless it was a reconditioned one.

Ultimately, all my waffle above can be summarised in: buy and Etrex 20 / 30 instead. Save money in haste, repent at leisure. :grin: Hope that helps.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks for the all the info guys! Saved me a headache by the sounds of it.
barney

Post by barney »

Hi Ootini,

I'm not riding at the moment, if you want to borrow for Garmin Dakota for a few rides to see how you get on with it you're more than welcome.

cheers
Wait for me...
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'd take a look at the updated etrex 30x.
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

I have an Etrex 30 and a HCx Vista/Legend(whichever has the barometer and magnetic compass). Other than how quickly the 30 locks on, and that it can do ANT, I think the 30 and the HCx range are equal. That you can have night maps makes the HCx better in some respects. Some audaxers prefer the HCx range over the new Etrex range for this reason. If it weren't for the rubbish rubber casing, I'd have not bothered moving on from my HCx. It still gets used for geocaching and whatnot.

Definitive guide to the HCx here: http://www.aukadia.net/gps/