An evening in the Shropshire hils

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

An evening in the Shropshire hils

Post by Mike »

Right so having done a few bivys now at different locations over the Long Mynd and following on from a conversation i had with Scattamah on our last jolly im possibly looking to maybe put a little jolly together in Nov.
The dates i am looking at are 14/15 and 21/22 nov ( im working the others ;0) ). The plan will be pretty much the same as last yrs little trip with some of you guys. Meet up Sat morning in Church Sretton, ride then aim to head for the pub for evening dinner and a few cheeky beers before the climb up into the woods and home for the night. In the morning just do a little riding then ( or whatever people want to do ) head down for a breaky at a cafe before heading home.
It wont be loads of miles prob around 30-35 unless we get alittle excited. I will look at putting a route together in due course with the help from a few others ( U know who u r :-bd )

So is this something that would be of interest in Nov ( cold n possibly wet ) - TBF even if theres only a hand full of us it will still happen
slarge

Re: An evening in the Shropshire hils

Post by slarge »

Yes, definitely up for it, just need to tread carefully at home as that will be the 3rd weekend away in 6 weeks, but as all the kids and their other halves are going to be living with us in Oct/Nov I can see an escape plan....
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Playtime in the backyard? Yup...count me in.

If you want to make it interesting Mike, we could make a 4 hills route....Wrekin, Brown Clee, over Wenlock Edge and around to Stiperstones and finish on Long Mynd. There'd be quite a bit of back lane joiner to do it, but it would make a good ride with a reasonable amount of climbing.

Coming in from Stiperstones side, chow 'n drinks could be done at Bridges as opposed to the Ragleth on the east side of Long Mynd.

Food for thought.

Greetz

S.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm interested if 14/15th Nov
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm keen ... I shall await further instruction.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Should be fine for that.
burty

Post by burty »

you've twisted my arm
Mike

Post by Mike »

So is the 14/15 ok for all above as these dates have been mentioned a few times to me so possibly go with these. Me n scott will put our heads together and come up with a route at somepoint when im back and ill then run it by folk so if Iv missed any cool trails that anyone wants to add in we can :-D
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fine with me.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

and me
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Sounds good to me! I'll put it in the diary.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'm in.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Fine with me also
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

I may be interested in this.
If I come, I'll probably ride from home in the Wyre Forest, meet you somewhere to ride part of the route, then drop out to ride home. I'll have to check my shift rota to see if I'm available on Saturday morning and whether I need to be back by Monday morning.
I can help with route choice over the Clee Hills if you want some local knowledge. I know of a couple of byways and LDPs that are unrideable in places and best avoided.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@VG - any local knowledge greatly appreciated.

I'm going out this afternoon for a reccy run to look around and see what gives. Normally, I would (mostly) use the back lanes around the area, but am happy to take in some more dirt. Trying to keep in mind that between now 'n then, the chances of the dirt turning to mud is high and some of the brooks may run higher.

Greetz

S.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

So during a weekend of pottering about the local hills, Mike and I were talking about just how much riding would everyone be up for.

We have a 50 mile west side of the A49 that we've already done (we were lazy and only thrice up the Mynd, around and over Stiperstones and around Eastridge missing the last climb up Port Way from the north), and it was fun, but certainly tiring. We then have a 33 mile or a 40 mile route on the east side of the A49 taking in Caradoc, Lawley, Frodesley and Wenlock Edge that could be done on Sunday if folks are still chomping at the bit.

Perhaps if those interested could let us know just how much you'd like to do, we can trim/add accordingly.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Been looking at that red route trail in East ridge and this is an added section of single track to ride for those up for it. We can do about half the route and still be on coarse if we get that far over. As scott says the sat is a great ride if a little tiring, the sun we can kinda wing it depending on how folk feel. For info only and those of a social disposition, Scott n I didn't get to the bivy spot till turned midnight as sitting in the pub is just so relaxing.

Weather depending it will be a good Weekend I reckon :0)

And I will say the pub in Picklescott does great food n beer with a big log burner. However this then just leaves us the port way climb followed by the ridge to woods at south end to bivy
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Or the paved descent from Picklescott around through the Strettons, into the Ragleth for a cheeky nightcap and then up the forest road at the south end...for the slackers amongst us :)

Greetz

S.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'm happy with whatever route is decided on. Good mileage on Saturday and lowish on Sunday means I could ride there and back also....
Karl

Post by Karl »

Me and the misses are up for this....would you mind us tagging along?

Is it still 14&15 Nov?
ootini

Post by ootini »

I might possibly be able to make this. Does any one have a .gpx or similar I could take a look at, just to get an idea of how much of a challenge I'd be taking on?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I might possibly be able to make this. Does any one have a .gpx or similar I could take a look at, just to get an idea of how much of a challenge I'd be taking on?
It'll go up, it'll go down. No one will bugger off into the distance and you won't get left behind. It will be very friendly and everyone will smile ... these things I know to be true. Looking at a gpx will not make it any different. There's only one choice to make - do I want to ride my bike and have a good time or do I want to stay at home? :ugeek:
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
It'll go up, it'll go down. No one will bugger off into the distance and you won't get left behind. It will be very friendly and everyone will smile ... these things I know to be true. Looking at a gpx will not make it any different. There's only one choice to make - do I want to ride my bike and have a good time or do I want to stay at home? :ugeek:
True! However there's also the consideration of, have I ever ridden this distance / elevation before? Would I need to bail out half way round etc... Just cautious, that's all. Don't want to be holding everyone up on each hill.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't want to be holding everyone up on each hill.
Don't worry, it's really not like that ... in fact, it's really not quite like anything else.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Oot... Don't sweat the small stuff. If it's any comfort to you, when we reccy'd the route a couple of weekends ago, there was a handful of times I pushed up a climb. Get on out...you'll have fun.

@KBR... The more the merrier. The bivvy spot we have in mind will take a dozen bodies or more scattered throughout the trees.

Greetz

S.