Gps help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Gps help

Post by robbie »

Guys after recently buying and trying out my new kit on an overnighter I found using the gps [dakota 20] a bit of a pain when it came to navigating when there was options of a few turns close together. having to constantly check I'd taken the right path and I missed a few turns having to backtrack! Is there an easy way to set it up so it is more simple? I downloaded the route and turned it into a track which I think was right? Any help much appreciated :roll:
Cheers
Taylor

Re: Gps help

Post by Taylor »

If its transferred as a route, it will beep at every waypoint. This will limit your route to 250 waypoints if I recall so bigger trips need to be made into parts.
Tracks can be massive (can't remember how many waypoints), but don't beep.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

When approaching turns that i'm not sure about I zoom in close (on my etrex20) then zoom out again afterwards. I also have direction of travel pointing up all the time.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This is one of the reasons I'd like to switch to 25k maps but garmin still charge a bomb for them despite OS massively dropping their prices. I tend to screw up if there are a lot of fiddly turns to make but I guess its still easier than trying to follow a map...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I leave my etrex20 @ < 300' most of the time...easy to see the trails and see which way the track is going. And +1 to Ray's tip about track always up.

Greetz

S.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you are creating your own route/track, make an extra waypoint slightly after each junction. That'll give the compass arrow something relevant to point to should you need it.
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

Same as scotroutes I find using this technique really helps if your following forestry tracks since they can change frequently from what was on map in the first place.
But it works best if your following a route and direction up
robbie

Post by robbie »

Thanks for the comments guys I'll give the advice a go and hopefully get on better next time. :-bd