TMB in September

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Re: TMB in September

Post by gairym »

I asked and it looks like it'll be fine to ride the route in August as it's not covered by the July/August bike ban.

Looks like the last two weekends of August are free but I'll have to double check with Mrs Boss.

There's a high mountain office that I've been told to triple check with as they govern some of the route so I'll do that and come back again with more info.

I'm hoping to finally pin down the route expert to refine the route and that'll hopefully happen this week too.

Will get back shortly.....
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers for your hard work on this gairy :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Neh worries!

I've finally managed to chat with the fella who knows about all things TMB and there are a fair few changes to the route I did last year.

I need to sit down with some maps and a laptop to finalise a .gpx track but a route now exists.

Also, I can only do the 2nd to last weekend in August now due to work commitments.

Does that work with those who're thinking about the end of August?
slugwash wrote:As mentioned , I'm doing the TMB whilst you're on childcare duty, but would like to come over for a beer^^^^ and chat, and get some local info. Would it be possible to leave my bike bag at your house whilst I'm in the area? I 'll probably stay at a campsite either side of the TMB but will be sleeping under a tarp, so won't be leaving a tent with my stuff in like some other mountain folk do when they leave the Valley for a few days.
Yeah, definitely come for a beer and a chat.

And of course you can ditch some gear while you're away.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Cheers Gairy. I'm currently bikepacking in Brittany and have a boil the size of a pain au raison on my butt. Hopefully it'll have subsided by September otherwise I'll be walking the TMB instead :o
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I may be able to get over for the last weekend in August now. very much depends on a few bits, but I'd be interested to get a look at the route when you're done!
Chew

Post by Chew »

gairym wrote:Also, I can only do the 2nd to last weekend in August now due to work commitments.

Does that work with those who're thinking about the end of August?
Sounds like a plan Gairy. Which week is that?

A feel a road trip coming on :cool:
FLV

Post by FLV »

its possible for me, will depend which weekend / date though as I need to fit in with when my kids are off on thier hols.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Sorry I've been quiet I'd late but I was struggling to juggle work etc... around but can now commit to the final weekend of August (weekend of the 29th/30th).

Does that work for folks?
gairym

Post by gairym »

Time's moving on, anyone still up for this?

I need to finalise work plans and so if no-one is able to make it then I'll just do it when a few days freedom occur but I'd rather have fun with some likeminded loons.

Let me know.
Last edited by gairym on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

A slight change to my plans.....

Firstly, I've changed my flights to 19th Sept out and 27th Sept return. This is to fit in with my two companions who can't make my original dates. I don't know if you're free from childcare duties on that week Gairy?

Secondly, my intrepid fellow cyclists have formed a rebellion over carrying bivi kit along the route, so we're staying in refuges now (although I may still take a handlebar harness with sleeping bag, mat and bivi bag and sleep out on my own)

We're intending on spending Sunday 20th (my birthday!) getting the last lift of the season up to Brevent and riding back down into Chamonix before starting the tour on the Monday. Probable TMB plan as follows...

Day 1: Chamonix - La Gorge (Just beyond Les Contamines)

Via Bellevue lift (800m of pain free vertical) and Col de Tricot.

Accom: Refuge de la Tre la tete (up high) or somewhere in the valley around La Gorge

Day 2: La Gorge - Col de la Seigne
Via Col de la Croix du Bonhomme, les Chapieux and Col de la Seigne
Accom: Refuge de Mottes or Refuge de Elizabeth Soldini

Day 3: Col de la Seigne - La Fouly
Via Courmayeur and Grand Col de Ferret. There is a section around Courmayeur - which is the one section I would consider missing out and using the road for. Section is in Italy so off the IGN maps but smaller scale map seems to suggest it is just 1000m up and down a col headwall...not lovely contouring singletrack. The Chamonix Bike Blog misses it too.

Day 4: La Fouly - Col de Forclaz

Via a lot of lower lever stuff and then Le Bovine

Day 5: Col de Forclaz - Chamonix

Via the Agillue de Possettes. Shorter final day but refuges don't allow many other options. Plus longish spin back down the valley to Cham

I don't know what we're doing for accommodation in Chamonix, but may club together and rent a cheap ski apartment for the length of our stay where we can base our selves in Chamonix and leave bike bags and extra kit whilst away on the TMB.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

So,

I'm going to be in the Valley from the 11th of Sept - 24th. First week will mostly be road riding and trail running up high with the wife.

Second week, she is in taper mode for a race and I am free to do what I want - within legal reason.

I think I'll aim to do some, or all of the route if weather permits. If any one cares to join me it'd be ace to have some company even for a bit. I plan to compress it into a few less sleeps though...

G
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Just a little update....

We're starting it on Sunday 20th with the lift up to Brevent, down to Les Houches, and back up along the TMB route for the first night. Two of us are doing it over three nights to be back for Wednesday 23rd (One refuge stop but hopefully bivi the other nights). Two others are doing it over four nights (refuges all the way). If that fits in with your plans Greg, then your welcome to tag along :-)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bugger, seems I'll be riding it alone.

Mrs Gairy isn't back from blighty until the 21st and so even if I don't do it later this month I still can't be available on the 20th.

That'd be perfect timing for a pre-BB200 trip too.

Let's hope something changes but the offer of beers, chats and a .gpx track (if I ever manage to pin down my guy) is still there.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I'm there until the 27th so a ride/bivi on the Thursday and/or Friday is a possibility Gairy
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

slugwash wrote:Just a little update....

We're starting it on Sunday 20th with the lift up to Brevent, down to Les Houches, and back up along the TMB route for the first night. Two of us are doing it over three nights to be back for Wednesday 23rd (One refuge stop but hopefully bivi the other nights). Two others are doing it over four nights (refuges all the way). If that fits in with your plans Greg, then your welcome to tag along :-)
Slug - I'm trying to re-arrange work commitments for that week; if I can, would there be scope to blister onto your trip? Keen for one last bike trip before my winter exile...
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Slug - I'm trying to re-arrange work commitments for that week; if I can, would there be scope to blister onto your trip? Keen for one last bike trip before my winter exile...
ZeroDarkBivi Posts: 163Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 amLocation: Somerset

That would be great :-) We're flying from Bristol airport on Sat 19th 1210 departure & returning 27th Geneva 1030 flight if that's any help.

Right, off to Big Dog at Stamner Park now. Will check back in later.
gairym

Post by gairym »

slugwash wrote:I'm there until the 27th so a ride/bivi on the Thursday and/or Friday is a possibility Gairy
Sounds like a plan!

I'm good to go after the 21st and so let's chat more nearer the time.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

So, there's now a posse of five intrepid & chivalrous knights of the knobbly tyre departing from Chamonix (by way of the last Le Brevent lift of the season) for adventure and conquest through three separate countries before returning (midweek) to press gang Gairy out on a high altitude bivi or two (weather and saddle sore dependant), before sailing back to to fair Albion.

Just hoping that the weather holds out and there's not too much squabbling :-)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Two quick things:

1. I'd suggest Belvue lift instead if Brevent as you'll be a fair way off route if you take that one ;)

2. You said:
Day 3: Col de la Seigne - La Fouly
Via Courmayeur and Grand Col de Ferret. There is a section around Courmayeur - which is the one section I would consider missing out and using the road for. Section is in Italy so off the IGN maps but smaller scale map seems to suggest it is just 1000m up and down a col headwall...not lovely contouring singletrack. The Chamonix Bike Blog misses it too.
The climb up to the Col De Ferret is a monster for sure but there's not a viable road option without taking a long detour.

Also, it's a proper adventure. Steep, switchbacky and gives the hikers who think they're extreme a wake up call when you stroll past with a bike on your shoulders.

It's rideable to the refuge/cafe and then it's just a few hours of hike-a-bike and you're done, no biggy.

I'm doing it clockwise this year so I'll be climbing up the Swiss side and descending the mean Italian side. We'll see how that goes.
slugwash wrote:...before returning (midweek) to press gang Gairy out on a high altitude bivi or two (weather and saddle sore dependant)
Yep, still up for this.

After 10 days home alone with the kids I'll be desperate for some sanity restoring bivi time!!!
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I'd suggest Belvue lift instead if Brevent as you'll be a fair way off route if you take that one ;)
The idea is to catch the last lift of the summer up to Brevent, lose a lot of altitude in a fun way down towards Les Houches, then pick up the TMB trail along past Les Contamines before heading to Refuge Tre la Tete pour la nuit. So making a day of it without too much climbing :-)
The climb up to the Col De Ferret is a monster for sure but there's not a viable road option without taking a long detour......
It's rideable to the refuge/cafe and then it's just a few hours of hike-a-bike and you're done, no biggy.
Only a few hours? Thank God for that ;-)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Crappy weather has meant that I've postponed setting off for a bit.

Hoping the weather improves next week but it's been bloody wet here recently!

If not next week then I'll not be able to go until after the 22nd - bugger.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

*fingers in ears*

It better be dry when I get there on Friday :)
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

It better be dry when I get there on Friday :)
Oh dear!........

http://www.yr.no/place/France/Rhône-Alp ... /long.html
gairym

Post by gairym »

Right then.....

I've just gotten back from what became of my TMB trip.

I can't complain as I do work that I love (and am lucky to have) but... work is killing me this last few months! Things have been so busy that in order to scrape any sniff of a trip from the jaws of defeat I had to grab a 36 hour window of quiet and duck out to do half of the road TMB route yesterday morning.

I took über-minimalist gear as I knew, deep down, that I'd jump at the chance of a nice warm B&B after a long, hard day on the road (and I did!) but I'm still (half-heartedly and open to criticism) calling it bikepacking as I carried enough gear to sleep outside should things turn out that way.

Anyway, here's what I did:

Train to Martigny, Switzerland. Rode 60 miles over and to Aosta, Italy (including a 17 mile climb with a mile of ascent - ouch!) before hitting the sack. Got up this morning and continued on to Courmayeur, Italy where I met Mrs Gairy, had lunch and headed home in time to pick the kids up.

Not what I had in mind but under the circumstances it's the very best I could have hoped for.

Here are some photos:

I'm now knackered and feeling a little better because of getting out and doing some 'real' riding in prep for the BB200 for the first time in a while.

The weather, for those who're heading here soon, has been much improved you'll be glad to hear.

The best website for accurate local forecasts is:

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont ... recast.php

Thinking of doing the second half of the TMB (offroad version) once Mrs Gairy is back from her holiday if you are up for it Mr Slugwash (get a lift through the tunnel to Italy and then ride the TMB route in reverse to St Gervais before getting the train back up to Chamonix).

Good luck all!

Cheers, Gairy.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Looks ace :

I was practically bouncing around the house last night in anticipation of our arrival on Friday :)

If you're around and fancy a beer over the next two weeks give a shout!