GPS Gobbledygook

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

GPS Gobbledygook

Post by gairym »

I recently bought a Garmin eTrex Legend HcX to help me navigate on my big Alps trip but.....

I've never used a GPS device before and I can't make any sense of any aspect of what I'm supposed to do, what needs installing, where do I get maps from, how do I get them, how do I plan routes, how do I transfer them onto my device, how do I use them once they're on there?????

In short - what the hell do I do?

Why is it so complicated?

Isn't there a idiots guide to all this nonsense?

HELP!!!!!

Any assistance would be massively appreciated and sorry for being a techno-moron.

Cheers, Gairy.
Blackhound

Re: GPS Gobbledygook

Post by Blackhound »

Maps are supplied on mini SD which may be in your machine, behind or next to the batteries. When you turn it on a map will show if you have one. They can be bought from Garmin such as here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=31801

but check locally for better deals. You should also have a disc to install on your computer(Trip and Waypoint Manager) which will have a world base map and you can transfer routes using this program onto your device. Quite straight forward when the program is installed. Not sure how you create your own though.

If I, for instance, was to send you a gpx route you should be able to download it to your Garmin with this. I *think* you can download a route to your device straight from your PC to the Garmin with the supplied cable.

Hope this is a start.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Blackhound wrote:Maps are supplied on mini SD which may be in your machine, behind or next to the batteries. When you turn it on a map will show if you have one. They can be bought from Garmin such as here:
Yeah, I read about that but.....I didn't receive an Unlock Code thing form the previous owner and so apparently can't buy maps from Garmin (not sure if this is true).

So.....some kind of open-source mapping seemed to be in order (and they're apparently better for mountain biking route planning anyway - or so I've read) and so I registered with Openmtbmap.com and have two more downloads to install (In addition to Mapsource (from Garmin)) and I'm not sure what any of them actually 'do'???
Blackhound wrote:You should also have a disc to install on your computer(Trip and Waypoint Manager) which will have a world base map and you can transfer routes using this program onto your device. Quite straight forward when the program is installed. Not sure how you create your own though.
Yep - it's installed but just sits there and doing nothing and nothing immediately jumps out at me by way of an explanation about how to even get started???
Blackhound wrote:If I, for instance, was to send you a gpx route you should be able to download it to your Garmin with this. I *think* you can download a route to your device straight from your PC to the Garmin with the supplied cable.
I have some .gpx files but I don't have a clue about how I'd upload them as the Garmin doesn't appear like a normal device attached to the laptop?

It's just all so user-unfriendly - for why?

I know I'll get there eventually but I hate elitist technology.

Grrrrr!!!

Thanks for your assistance though buddy - appreciated.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Hi Gairy,

I have an Etrex Legend. Be patient, it is a brilliant piece of kit.

Here is a good link to a basic guide:

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/

As for maps, I downloaded UK OSM maps from Andy Gates on the yacf forum. He has a link on his profile. Will be handy for WRT. There is a read me txt file that explains how to do it. Click on the most recent date for the map itself:
http://ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/

I also downloaded Garmin city navigator mapping (europe) from a fileshare site but tbh, it will be pretty useless for your alpine trip. Your best bet is to download a map tile from OSM mapping but i've never needed off road maps for France so can't recommend a site.

For routing, I use bikehike, you can export tracks direct to the gps unit.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dan_K wrote:Here is a good link to a basic guide:

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/
Now this is what I needed!

Simple, straight-forward explanation of what does what, where and why for setting up the basics of the damn machine.

Will work my way through all of this (might have to get some sleep at some point too!) and then move on to the rest of your post.....

Thanks!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Presumably if you download a GPX file from say bikehike, it only downloads the actual route and not any OS map tiles to support it?

If you buy maps on SD card, without the code will you ever be able to activate them?

(another GPS virgin here but looking at an Etrex30 for this year)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

If you plot a route on bikehike and then download it to the gps you will basically have a line to follow on a blank page.
The map tiles act as an ovelay on that blank page that line up correctly with the gps tracker. Sort of like placing a traced map on an overhead projector.
The beauty of the Etrex is that you although restricted on Waypoints, you can download loads of saved tracks so you can have a separate track for each day or section of a loop (handy for figure of 8 circuits where you cross the same point several times). A track basically works like taking a highlighter pen to a map. A route is where you put in waypoints (points of interest) and the gps routes you.

If you buy/download maps from an authorised site, you will get a code to unlock them. You can also download maps from file share sites that are basically cracked open where you don't need the code. These tend to be older map versions and generally not topo maps.

OSM mapping is free to download as it is created by the people that use it, uploading information. It is not always 100% accurate but i've not had problems with it.

I basically have 2 SD cards that I switch between. One has UK OSM mapping (1GB) from Andy Gate's site that I listed previously. I use this for mountain biking, hiking and off route trails as it has contour lines, bridleways and footpaths etc.
I then have another 4GB Sd card that has Garmin City Navigator (2010) mapping on that I allegedly downloaded from a file share site. I use this for road cycling as it's fully routable (i.e gives turn by turn directions which is something OSM mapping doesn't do but then you don't really need it off road and a highlighted track on a map is easy to follow) It's up to you morally where you stand on fileshare sites. Personally, I think Garmin take the p1ss selling a gps without maps, just because I ride a bike. I'd love to see them survive in the car market against Tom Tom but I guess they know they have the outdoor market cornered. I've bought enough Garmin products over the years though that I sleep soundly at night... :lol:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Nice one cheers for that Dan, very much appreciated.
gairym

Post by gairym »

dan,

thanks again for your link and intel - i'm slowly wading my way through all things GPSish and am starting to feel like i might one day be able to make the damn thing function.

i might pop back to this thread when i've got a question or two as/when i reach the next stage with setting things up etc...

cheers, gairy.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'm sorting Griffdowg out with a an SD containing the 2011 garmin city mapping (europe).

if anyone esle wants one while i'm at it, PM me for my address and post me a micro sd (4gb) or paypal me £5 and i'll order a few cards and post one to you.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

tell me more about the city mapping.
quite interested
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

In a nutshell, it's like having a less polished car gps on your bike. You can either put a track on it and follow a full colour map like a highlighted route on a map or put way points in and it will route you there, beeping at every turn.
See my previous links for more info. Check that it works with your unit too from the garmin website. I have a garmin etrex legend hcx and it will work on the edge 605/705 series amongst others.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dan_K wrote:In a nutshell, it's like having a less polished car gps on your bike. You can either put a track on it and follow a full colour map like a highlighted route on a map or put way points in and it will route you there, beeping at every turn.
See my previous links for more info. Check that it works with your unit too from the garmin website. I have a garmin etrex legend hcx and it will work on the edge 605/705 series amongst others.
Dan_K wrote:if anyone esle wants one while i'm at it, PM me for my address and post me a micro sd (4gb) or paypal me £5 and i'll order a few cards and post one to you.
so....would this be of use to me for my transalp trip???

i've already got the .gpx files for the trip and so with this 'city mapping' thingy would i have all i need to get going???

if so then just let me know the email address and the fiver will be winging it's way through cyber-space and into your paypal account.

let me know.....

gairy.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

It'll have roads on there Gairy but not trails so not a huge use to you. Handy for road biking and if you haven't got a car gps. It'll do postcode search.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dan_K wrote:It'll have roads on there Gairy but not trails so not a huge use to you. Handy for road biking and if you haven't got a car gps. It'll do postcode search.
ahhhh!

not so much good then.

i ride a road bike too but, to be honest, since i started planning the transalp trip i've not given a thought to road riding for this year (other than using the road bike on the turbo-trainer in the cold dark evenings).

think i'll give it a miss for now then.

cheers anyway, gairy.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Hi all,

Had a bit of a hectic weekend/week as my old man got rushed into hospital on the weekend (he's out now and awaiting a heart bypass) so not had a chance to follow up on this.....

Anyway, If anyone wants a copy of either:

1) Garmin City Navigator 2011 (EU)

or

2) OSM Mapping (UK) (sourced from the link I posted previously)

on a Micro SD card to be posted to them, send me £5 by paypal to dan_kujawski (at) hotmail.com (don't forget the underscore).

Cut off date is 9am MONDAY 5/3

On monday morning, i'll order the SD cards (4GB) from play.com and then when they arrive, i'll put the files on in the Garmin folder setup so they should just plug and play in the Garmin device you own.

Before ordering, please check online with Garmin as to whether the mapping works on your device and if it has capacity to handle a 4GB SD card. I can order smaller cards if necessary for OSM mapping (approx 900kb) but not the City Nav mapping as this is almost a 4GB file.
FYI - I own an an Etrex HCX and the mapping works fine.

If people want to supply their own SD card and i'll just copy the files, that's fine. PM me and i'll give you my address so you can post me a card and i'll copy the files and post it back.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Do these gps devices handle memory map 5, because I have the whole of gb at 1:50000 and most of Wales and quite a bit of England on 1:25000, anyone running memory map 5 on their pc would be able to play with it.
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

Dan I have sent you an email ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Funds received from those that sent - thanks. Any more takers?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'll have one but you'll have to wait til tonight or tomorrow for funds
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

flatfishy wrote:I'll have one but you'll have to wait til tonight or tomorrow for funds
No worries. Thought I'd bump it again...
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Dan - I'll have a card please - will paypal later - just going out now
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm in too please, will paypal now.

(OSM)
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

just made the payment - OSM card please
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Just looking at the City Nav that I was interested in and I don't think I'd really need it unless you can persuade me otherwise.
So probably best counting me out.
Thanks for the offer though.