29+ decision time: Knard vs Chronicle. The Chubbening

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

vorlich

29+ decision time: Knard vs Chronicle. The Chubbening

Post by vorlich »

Finally built up a Dually for the front of my Jones. Now I need a tyre for it.

On paper, this is a bit of a no-brainer, Chronicle wins.
But, I don't need a 'trail' tyre, I have a trail bike already. I need a tyre that will excel on estate roads, singletrack, fast draining Cairngorm grit and the odd bit of asphalt.

Riding a fully laden bike means the faster rolling the better, and I'm hardly likely to be taking too many risks when riding solo in remote glens, so tend to go steady when bikepacking. So I'm thinking the Knard may be the best choice. If I really feel the need, I have a Nate off my Mukluk I can use if I'm anticipating the need for extra grip.

FWIW I don't tend to bikepack outside of British Summer Time

So I think this boils down to this: Just how bad is the Knard?

What say ye, BBB?
Last edited by vorlich on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clink

Re: 29+ decision time: Knard vs Chronicle. The Chubbening

Post by Clink »

Doesn't the Chronicle have better sidewalls? Chronicle is fairly fast rolling, but I've not ridden a Knard to compare.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Knard fine for that. I find the front will wash out if it starts to get moist or loose, but for what you describe they should be fine. I switched my Front for a Chronicle on my Krampus, but its my trail bike and beneifits from the more aggressive tread. Chronicle rolls fine btw, just not as well as knard.

I have a lightly used 120tpi Knard for sale if your interested :grin:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

would a knard fit on a 35mm rim or does it need a proper semi fat rim?
burty

Post by burty »

I have the knard on a normal hope rim on the stooge it fits fine, and only comes up 10mm less in width
than the knard on my krampus which in on the rabbit hole rim .
never really had any problems with grip if I get the pressure right :-bd
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

no idea about the tyres, but I am interested in what you are doing, and your route. your bike looks like your going for an extended trip.

thanks

chris
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

No big plans yet, in fact I've not even decided on a route, just getting away over the Easter weekend, although the the kit could certainly do multi day/week routes. I just use the kit I have, I like my TrailStar and have never really fancied bivvying. It's more bulk than weight, need to see in I can squish stuff into smaller drybags, I was just testing my new wildcat seat harness and how to mount my SLR (black bag on the bars), I can't afford a compact camera which would come anywhere near the quality of my Canon.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I've both sets to chose from. Rode 3000 miles on the Knards. Swapped to Cronicals and although they offer better grip when wet they are slower and don't roll as well as the Knards. So after about 200 miles the Knards went back on and they are still on.
Cronicals for wet grassy and muddy trails
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

As other have said knards are good as long as you get the pressure right, otherwise get used to slippy, self steering near death experiences.
One thing I did find when I used it in the front of my Gryphon was that it raised the bars by what felt like a foot, so you may need to lose some spacers or a lesser rising stem.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

just got back with 1500 miles in all conditions on Knards, only time I slipped out was when it was really raining heavily and the trails were slimey

Chronicles are a great MTB tyre but for what you are doing I go Knard every time
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Gilbo71 wrote:self steering near death experiences.
Never had that problem on mine, I suppose it's the rake of the fork that does that sometimes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is drag so much of an issue on the front?
May the bridges you burn light your way
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

s8tannorm wrote:Is drag so much of an issue on the front?
You make a good point, I think what set me thinking about the drag is that I've been running a Saguaro up front on my Scandal (with a Race King on back), this gets ridden mostly along towpaths, tarmac and non-techy type riding and I've really enjoyed it, occasionally found wanting for traction/grip, but mostly pretty good on mixed routes and fairly quick too.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bonty chupacabras if Trek would bloody well import them....
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I've got both Knard and Chronicle. I don't like riding the Knard on anything fast or technical in the wet but it's superb in the dry. The Chronicle is great on anything but Tarmac, where it just wants to go in a straight line.
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

I thought the whole idea of rackless bikepacking gear is that you go fast and light.

You have more gear on your bike than I would use on a month away, even carrying the tent myself for two of us.

What's the deal with soooooo much stuff??
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

Polarcherry, I thought the idea is that it about fun rather than stats. If taking more stuff, racked or rackless, makes it more fun for whatever reason - then why not?
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

polarcherry wrote:I thought the whole idea of rackless bikepacking gear is that you go fast and light.

You have more gear on your bike than I would use on a month away, even carrying the tent myself for two of us.

What's the deal with soooooo much stuff??
Good for you! :roll:

What do you suggest I leave behind?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Doesn't look that much gear?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

IMO one of the challenges of 'bikepacking' is trying to be as comfortable as I can be, while carrying as little as possible. Obviously outside factors such as weather conditions come in to play when balancing this equation but so do our own personal ideas and experiences. Each person will define for themselves what is 'comfortable' and what is a little or a lot.

In some circumstances towing a trailer might actually be the right 'answer', other times the space in your jersey pocket will provide all the carrying capacity required ... no right, no wrong, it's continually shifting. The skill lies in choosing wisely on any given day :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

s8tannorm wrote:IMO one of the challenges of 'bikepacking' is trying to be as comfortable as I can be, while carrying as little as possible. Obviously outside factors such as weather conditions come in to play when balancing this equation but so do our own personal ideas and experiences. Each person will define for themselves what is 'comfortable' and what is a little or a lot.

In some circumstances towing a trailer might actually be the right 'answer', other times the space in your jersey pocket will provide all the carrying capacity required ... no right, no wrong, it's continually shifting. The skill lies in choosing wisely on any given day :wink:
True, I believe the backpacking community use the term 'hike your own hike', presumably this arose in response to some UL and SUL proponents presuming to dictate what is 'right' with no consideration that others may have different priorities. It's the behaviour of arrogant willy wavers, IMO.

In my case, carrying a big-ass camera integral to the enjoyment of doing these trips.
Not to mention short trips are ideal for carrying more, if you're that way inclined. I'm more likely to critically assess gear if I know I have to carry it for a week/month, etc.

Also, 'fast and light' assumes I was in some sort of hurry...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

HYOH = Hang your own hang.

It's a hammock thing :cool: