Which part of the world do you live, and do you like it?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zippy

Which part of the world do you live, and do you like it?

Post by Zippy »

Which part of the world do you live, and do you like it? oh, and why?

I'll start, live in Colchester, Essex (well a small village just outside). It's ok, but the south east is too crowded for my liking really, and takes a bit longer to get to anywhere else worth visiting/spending time and is a lot more hassle than it should be...planning my escape - but need to get a few things sorted first!
Dan_K

Re: Which part of the world do you live, and do you like it?

Post by Dan_K »

I'm in Croydon, South London/Surrey.

Like the convenience of everything - always plenty to do and always shops open. 5 minute walk to work. Great transport links everywhere. Can be in central London within a 15 minute train ride. I rarely need the car! Some really great restaurants too.

Good riding on the doorstep too - surprisingly close to the countryside.

Hate the fact that despite us both being in good jobs, I can't afford to buy a house.

It's a place of convenience though with good access to everything, except epic scenery! Can't see us staying here forever though...
bookwyse

Post by bookwyse »

Live in Sittingbourne, Kent

Moved here in 2000 to be closer to the wifes parents and hate it with a vengence.

Just out of probation for a new job that is permanently working from home so am really really considering a move to either Wales or Scotland somewhere.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Live in millhouses in SW sheffield. Can ride to the Peak District from home in 30 minutes and have some decent riding on the way too.

Can get to lakes district or Wales in 2-4 hours. Plus Yorkshire dales and north York moors are 2 hours away.

I'd rather live somewhere more rural but on balance am more than happy with the comprise. Especially as my job would likely result in a sizeable commute if I didn't live where we do.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Halifax

You've already been Chris, but some excellent riding on the doorstep and 30 mins of riding you can be in the middle of nowhere.

Housing is reasonable, not too much of a commute to Leeds for plenty of work options and 5 mins from the motorway network so getting anywhere else is quick and easy.

Lived quite a few places over the years, but Calderdale feels like home and i'm very happy here.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Plymouth. I can cycle up onto Dartmoor in about 40mins, or drive in in 15. Cheaper to live than a lot of places and the moo is amazing. I'm up their every weekend, if only for a day. I wouldn't leave here unless it put me closer to the Mountains…
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
FLV

Post by FLV »

Glossop.

I love it here. Great riding And good size town. Suits my wife great too as has a 30 min train into Manchester.

As ian said. Ideally I'd be slightly more rural but it wouldn't have the same links
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Hayfield in the Peak District.

I love it here as does my family.

Loads of great riding from the door, so much so that it's rare I drive anywhere else to ride.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I live in Swindon close to the Ridgeway and downs.I love Wiltshire, but not today as it has bred some special glue-clay that is bike-o-philic
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I live 5 mins up the road from ianfitz on the edge of Sheffield. It's a great balance between being
Close to the city and work and close to the peak park. I've lived all over the country and this is the best place I've lived.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Currently holed up in Shrewsbury, W. Salop. Close enough to town to walk it.
An hour 'n a bit ride to Long Mynd or Stiperstones. A 45 minute train ride and a 40 minute ride to BearBones country.
It's ok here, but I do miss the Australian sunshine and beaches.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Worcestershire for me, im happy as i can jump on the motorway and get to wales in 1hr 30, peaks 1hr 40, lakes 3hrs but i can go south also with ease. The only downside is the gf lives 1hr45 away up in a land where its always cold and lots of snow in the winter.....brrrrrr its so mild here compared to there :lol: i have some descent riding here close by also. My ideal place to live though would be a small crofters cottage on the out hebs!!! But that will probably never happen.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Fife, just north of Edinburgh - nice countryside and riding locally and easy access to the highlands. Scotland's access legislation tops it all off
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ellesmere Port (nr Chester)

Downside-no good pub within walking distance :sad: Although if there were, the locals would spoil it :roll:

Upside-live ten minutes inbetween both sets of parents, so easy for babysitting (main reason for staying). Pleasant riding from the front door, great for road cycling and NCN/cafes with about an hours worth of bridleways from the door (quick loop from the door). Travel 30-60 mins in the cars and you've got every kind of riding you could want, small hills, beach, trail centres and high (?) mountains. Also, has some great curry houses nearby :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Currently Chamonix but in the last 20 years I've inhabited:

Mars, Ardeche, France.
London.
Usisya, Malawi.
Brighton.
Leeds.
Aalsmeer, Holland.
Harlow.
Hereford.
Northampton.

.....and I grew up in Rotherham.

Never got a chance to ride in Malawi but so far the best riding was the Ardeche.

Can't complain about Chamonix but if pushed I'd whine that it's a sniff touristy, crowded, expensive and badly polluted.

Worst place (ever, not just that I've lived) by a mile was/is Harlow (evil, evil place!).
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

We live in Netley on the east side of Southampton and like our immediate surroundings but we want to live somewhere more rural, less populated and closer to wild open space but with similar weather
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just outside Skipton. Other than it being full of Yorkshiremen it's fine :lol:

Got a (currently very very muddy) bridleway right past the house and a few others within a short ride :grin: The Dales isn't far away. 90 minutes gets us to The Lakes.

I grew up in The Lakes and would move back if I could afford it and/or find suitable work there.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm assuming most people know where I live. Very few facilities, nothing within walking distance unless you like very long walks, poor or non-existent local services ... but, bridleways literally from the door, what feels like my own 200 square mile playground, a real community spirit and enough space to actually lose yourself in.

Would I swap? For something more rural, maybe.
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

s8tannorm wrote: Would I swap? For something more rural, maybe.
:grin:
yellowbellybivvybagger

Post by yellowbellybivvybagger »

Spilsby Lincolnshire.

We love it here.Very quiet roads,lovely countryside in the wolds and the coast is only a short ride away,miles of sandy beaches and windswept saltmarsh.Plenty of outstanding bivvy spots and hardly any light pollution.A great corner of the world to live in ! .
paramart

Post by paramart »

i live in rugeley staffs, cross the main rd fields all the way to cannock chase, lots of bridleways in the area too, 30-45 mins from the peak district, and a couple of hrs from most other areas,
only downer it encourages people from brum :lol: no seriously it has took a battering since the man made trails opened, and the fc seem intent on destroying the chase and the cheeky trails.
do i like it? yes i love it :-bd
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Im in South Bucks. It's a wealthy middle class white enclave. Lot of things I dont like about it but my wife, being the primary earner, needs to be within a reasonable distance from the city. There's enough woods around here to loose myself every now. Just.
I'm just going outside ...
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

htrider wrote:Fife, just north of Edinburgh - nice countryside and riding locally and easy access to the highlands. Scotland's access legislation tops it all off
Another one from Fife, born here, lived here all my life and my whole family are here. Quite a few mixed day rides if you know the area. Where would I like to live? North west Scotland or Canada :smile:
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

Another Scot here, on the edge of Dundee. Nice balance between access to civilisation and remote rides. Also got great road rides on my doorstep.
Can any of you fifers suggest over night routes on your side of the Tay? Never strayed that way yet!
psling

Post by psling »

Forest of Dean. I grew up here and moved back here by choice so, yeah, I like it! The area has become a bit of a mtb "destination" these days but then I can't really complain about that as I've been showing people the local trails myself for the past 15 years or so.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.