2m x 2m Tarp?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

2m x 2m Tarp?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was having a play around yesterday with a couple of tarps. I rigged a single, centre pole thing up with a 3m x 3m and by offsetting the pole I pretty much had full coverage plus a porch/canopy. I fancy the same thing but in a smaller 1 person version. A 2m x 2m tarp would fit the bill but a quick google brought up nothing in that size ... has anyone come across one. *Not looking to spend vast sums so don't want to go down the custom route but I'd also like it to weigh less than 500g.

*I'd also like the moon on a stick delivering to my house on Julember 32nd!
May the bridges you burn light your way
Stevemorg

Re: 2m x 2m Tarp?

Post by Stevemorg »

I've been looking for the same thing (though I think I'm now going to buy a hooped bivi instead). I know you said no custom but I was thinking about getting in touch with the bloke on bike and bivi who makes them - his 1.5x2m(ish) tarps seem to be going for @£50 so I can't see a 2x2 costing a great deal more.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm surprised you don't make one Stuart, 2oz nylon is only about £4 p/m and tie-out webbing no more than £1. Should weigh circa 400g.

No more difficult than a stove!
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

these any good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightweight-R ... 1211wt_940

a bit smaller but they seem light
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

these any good
Nothing wrong with it apart from the colour, I suppose it'd blend in okay on a dark night ;)

I've taken Anthony's push and ordered up some silnylon ... land of MYO tarp here we come. This really could end in disaster :roll:
faddyvictor

Post by faddyvictor »

Other colours are available but this lurid colour seems the cheapest at £15.00-£18.00
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Where from Stuart?

Are you having to put a central seam in to make up the 2x2m? If so you'll probably need some seam sealant for it.

Good luck, have fun and post the pics :D
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Where from Stuart?
Pennine Outdoor ... I'm sure there's a few cheaper places but they've always been good in the past.

I'm planning on a few seams ;)
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

i spent saturday evening sewing up a new tarp - i didn't take photos but i'll try and get a thread up this week.

It's come out pretty well but silnylon is not the easiest thing to sew - it's slippy :x

225 g for a 1.5 x 2.5 tarp. it's about 250 g with some dyneema for guys - just need to sort some light weight pegs and we under 300 g. :D