First night in a bivvy bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gilbo71

First night in a bivvy bag

Post by Gilbo71 »

Was last night and in the back garden to test things out, it went ok until 1:30 when the cat decided she wanted to sleep in there with me. It was only after She settled down that I realised my sleeping mat is bloody uncomfortable and had to jack it in as I couldn't get back to sleep.

So, can anyone recommend me a sleeping mat that is comfortable and packs up small please? It's a hi gear self inflating one, it didn't seem to inflate though so I blew it up myself which may have caused the problem.
johnnystorm

Re: First night in a bivvy bag

Post by johnnystorm »

Thermarest Neoair & Exped Synmat & downmats seem popular on here. Various flavours depending on how much length, insulation, etc you need. I've got a neoair xtherm, comfy with good insulation but not cheap.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

IMO a self inflating mat will never offer the same levels of comfort you get from an air mat unless it's something like a 'Thermarest megamat basecamp' type affair. As JS says, Neoair and Exped mats have a lot of fans. I'm an Exped man myself and use a Synmat 7UL and a Downmat lite, both in S flavour which is actually quite long and near enough full length for me.

Are you a side or back sleeper?

Oh and most self inflating mats require a bit of help ... storing it laid out flat with the valve open helps.

EDIT: Cheapest I can find a Synmat UL at the moment is here: http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Exped ... Flat-Valve

EDIT 2: Just be aware that some air mats don't contain any type of insulation, so are only really suitable for use on 2-3 days of the average year,
May the bridges you burn light your way
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

I've been using a Therm-a-rest Prolite successfully for about 5 years now. Can't fault it as a piece of kit, but it does require assistance during inflation. They all do to get them up to pressure though.

It's not quite as comfortable or warm as my Basecamp one, but they both get use in all four season and I've been more than happy with them both, the base camp is far too large to carry far from the car though.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:like a 'Thermarest megamat basecamp'
I got one of them. It's well comfy! Wouldn't lug it with me on the bike mind.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

s8tannorm wrote:
EDIT: Cheapest I can find a Synmat UL at the moment is here: http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Exped ... Flat-Valve
Great shout that Stu, got meself a new mat on its way! :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

I'm a side sleeper if that makes any difference? I was a back sleeper but tend to snore when I do and years of pokes/punches/kicks from my wife have conditioned me to sleep on my side.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm a side sleeper if that makes any difference?
When you're on your side, your hip and shoulder (and maybe knee) will put a lot of pressure on the mat. A thin mat (self inflating) might not support these areas but the extra thickness of an air mat will.
May the bridges you burn light your way