Putting faces to names.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Putting faces to names.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've spent quite a bit of time over the last couple of weeks working out potential routes for the coming year ... some for my own entertainment and some for yours (BB 200 and WRT). Anyway, I went out today to check a few bits and surprisingly what was on the ground actually matched what's on the map. I also stumbled across a few interesting spots - shame this one was locked, I wouldn't have minded getting out of the wind and rain for 10 minutes.

I think there's something special riding a route you've planned for the first time, you've a good idea of what to expect but it's as though been there, colours in the picture you're carrying in your head ... very Zen. :roll:

May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Re: Putting faces to names.

Post by FLV »

nice isnt it :smile:

I always like trying out new routes or even sections, seeing whats there.

p.s. can we talk about morocco yet?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

p.s. can we talk about morocco yet?
We can but I'm not much further on despite my best efforts :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

I think there's something special riding a route you've planned for the first time, you've a good idea of what to expect but it's as though been there, colours in the picture you're carrying in your head ... very Zen.
I thought you were colour blind ;)

Serious reply: totally agree - my Pont Scethin trip was very much like that.
composite

Post by composite »

My trip this week started to go this way towards the second half of the first day. The sun kept poking back through the clouds and I was treated to wonderful views down long valleys. It had an air of familiarity; I think it's the feeling or experience that it is familiar though. I think it's the experience that we are looking for, why we are out there in the first place and the memories of how we have felt before makes these places feel familiar even though it might be the first time you might have been there.

It was a real shame my trip ended how it did. Man I'm actually really disappointed, such a waste of a week off in the end. :sad:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

s8tannorm wrote:
I think there's something special riding a route you've planned for the first time.....

Yep that feeling you get when you realise that those hours pouring over the OS maps, Geograph & Google maps actually transcend into a rideable route. That when you freewheel back to the car wet and tired that you know you've entered a whole new universe of biking for years to come :cool: Its just a shame that it doesn't happen that often............ :roll:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Ian

Post by Ian »

composite wrote:It was a real shame my trip ended how it did. Man I'm actually really disappointed, such a waste of a week off in the end. :sad:
What happened?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

its been far too long since I sat with a new map and a highlighter pen, your post has reminded me of this simple pleasure

I've a week dog sitting on Anglesey coming up, and though I know the island really well its time to highlight those back roads I've never travelled on, link them together, get the Fargo out and ride new to me roads
composite

Post by composite »

Ian wrote:
composite wrote:It was a real shame my trip ended how it did. Man I'm actually really disappointed, such a waste of a week off in the end. :sad:
What happened?
Had a very minor emergency at home but with my girlfriend being in New York I had to go back to Brum to sort it out. I was just at that point where I was relaxing into the trip and really enjoying it so it was a real downer. It was so crap to get back as well, Birmingham sucks. Pretty much wasted an entire week off work as well. :/
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

That's no good composite, hopefully you'll be able to do the route sometime soon.

I'm getting a bit of a reputation with my riding friends now as most of my day rides always involve carrying the bikes. Guess I should study the contours a bit more! T'is a good feeling though when it all clicks together and you have a good ride :grin:
Chew

Post by Chew »

voodoo_simon wrote: most of my day rides always involve carrying the bikes
Its not a proper ride without a bit of bike-a-hike. :wink:
All the best Lakes rides start with a carry
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

SteveM wrote:its been far too long since I sat with a new map and a highlighter pen, your post has reminded me of this simple pleasure

I've a week dog sitting on Anglesey coming up, and though I know the island really well its time to highlight those back roads I've never travelled on, link them together, get the Fargo out and ride new to me roads
Sing out when youre there Steve, If you fancy some riding company..

Who knows, I may have my Fargo by then.. :wink: