Recommend me a quilt

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Recommend me a quilt

Post by jameso »

After some quit tips please to help avoid expensive mistakes.

All in all I need a less restrictive sleep system. I realised on the WRT (what a great weekend that was, thanks Stu + Dee!) that I only sleep well in a bivi if I'm tired from a long day's riding and these days I like a more exploring and wandering sort of pace, but then don't sleep too well in the set up I have that was really meant for racing and audax attitude touring when I go it all about 10 yrs ago.

I've got a quilt already but it's a minimal PHD custom summer quilt, 1000FP and about 280g I think. Warm for what it is but not meant for proper sleeps in average UK temps. I put it inside a PHD Minim Ultra for colder nights 2-4 deg and it's a good combo but not as space + weight efficient, add in a liner and I end up faffing at night getting them all in the right place if I move about. I tend to use a Neo-air mat which isn't the warmest so the bag helps a bit there.

Been thinking I should get a general use quilt that would be good for 4-8 deg April-September UK use, maybe ok at freezing point / 2500m up in France If I took the other PHD quilt to back it up.

I'm not sure about the idea of having to put the mattress and quit inside a bivi bag as I use a Terra Nova Moonlight lightweight / not fully WP sleeping bag cover that would be too small for that (the Moonlight is used as a bag protector and clear weather bivi). If the whole quilt to mattress link needs thinking about maybe I'd need a new bivi bag (got a Rab Survival zone but it's a bit ott for most of my bike trips).

Budget .. prepared to pay for great kit but thinking S/H might be good to try something w/o spending too much.

TIA ..
fatbikephil

Re: Recommend me a quilt

Post by fatbikephil »

I've a cumulus 150, which is probably a bit light for your needs, and a Thermarest vesper 20F/-6C which is probably a bit too warm - I have actually used it at -6 on a neoair and it kept me warm enough, just. Both are ace so a cumulus 250 or the vesper 32F would suit your needs? The thermarest was a bit spendy but it is fab. The Cumulus has a draw cord / zip foot box which is a bit faffy, whereas the thermarest is just a sewn in box. I don't bother strapping it to the mat.

My bivvy bag is fairly roomy (Borah) and works well with both quilts. Fear of slugs and ticks means I like to be zipped up inside something at night...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks Phil. Paul who rode WRT with me this weekend has a Thermarest quilt bought fairly recently, it looks good inc the footbox shape. Not sure of the spec but it looked a lot comfier than my kit.
Borah bivi looks good, midge resistance appeals and they don't seem expensive for what they are?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

John at Borah will do minor customisation for no extra charge. You do have the import lottery though, he put the price of one on the docket even though we bought two 😀 The lightweight bivy weighs 175g but isn’t waterproof

I’ve the original pattern Cumulus 150, the newer pattern is a bit wider from what I can tell, closer to the Enlightened Equipment sizing and shape . For me it’s more than adequate for UK summer use which I would define as April to mid October as I’m a warm sleeper.

My wife has the 350 and that’s good for all year round up here in the north of England
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Cumulus 150 and 350 ... both very good and I believe the newer ones are wider which is much better.

A custom Enlightened winter quilt which is also lovely but probably far too much for general UK conditions.

... and a Sierra Designs Nitro 800 which I find perfect for most of the year. It's longer and wider than the Cumulus and offers the ability to form a (type of) hood. Quality / spec is very good and prices seem reasonable. It's the one I'd keep if I could only have a single quilt (number not size) :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sierra Designs Nitro 800
Very Belgian :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Peak valley do synethetic ones, really like mine
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Peak valley do synethetic ones, really like mine
I believe they may also stock some Enlightened quilts too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jBay

Post by jBay »

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... hp?t=24440

Only selling as I want an even wider one as a larger carbon unit.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Very similar design and quality to Cumulus, i.e. very nice indeed.
https://hyberg.de/collections/quilts/pr ... r-lite-250
Never knowingly under biked...
jameso

Post by jameso »

jBay wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:06 pm https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... hp?t=24440

Only selling as I want an even wider one as a larger carbon unit.
Thanks jBay, pobably a bit warm for me unfortunately, would have jumped at that if it was a 0-4 deg range version.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Rich3rd wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:28 pm Very similar design and quality to Cumulus, i.e. very nice indeed.
They look like good value Richard, any experience from use?
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

jameso wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:38 pm
Rich3rd wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:28 pm Very similar design and quality to Cumulus, i.e. very nice indeed.
They look like good value Richard, any experience from use?
Yes James, absolutely couldn't fault it. I have a Cumulus 150 and this is made from what felt like identical material, so absolutely lovely. Packs down to nowt and has the usual straps at the back so good fit. The only negative was slow delivery (a few weeks, but they did warn about that) and was lucky not to get charged the Brexit B0llox tax.
Never knowingly under biked...
Boab

Post by Boab »

I have the Thermarest Vesper 32 UL Down Quilt and really like it. Although it can be too warm in high summer, and it's no where near warm enough for me in deep winter. It works really well when strapped to the Thermarest NeoAir UberLite, and I can just about get away with it strapped to the rectangular Exped DownMat. It's by far and away the plushest bit of kit I own, and I'd love to get the other two, but 💸💸💸.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Rich3rd wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:36 pm Yes James, absolutely couldn't fault it. I have a Cumulus 150 and this is made from what felt like identical material, so absolutely lovely. Packs down to nowt and has the usual straps at the back so good fit. The only negative was slow delivery (a few weeks, but they did warn about that) and was lucky not to get charged the Brexit B0llox tax.
:-bd thanks - looks good

Thanks Boab, the Vesper is what my riding buddy at the weekend has and he sounded like he was sleeping well..

Seems like the Vesper 0 deg, the Cumulus 250 and the Hyberg 250 are all similar in fill weight and down spec.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

James. Not sure if someone has mentioned, but the best (and maybe only) quilt I had was the Hammock Gear quilt. So light but well proprotioned. Loved that thing and if money allows I'll buy another one day.

Not sure if it was one of these versions, but from the top of my head it was about 490g, squished down to about a 2L Irn Bru bottle and would do me down to about 1c.

https://hammockgear.com/garage-sale/
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Was impressed with the Neve Gear Warratah quilt. It's a quilt...it can be configured to have a toe box...it has strap clips for attaching around mats...900 fill...rated for -2C...weighs in at ~480g IIRC.

However, it's massive! You could turn it sideways and cover two people sleeping in down jackets. Perhaps drop Ryan a message to see if he'd make a smaller version with 1000 fill...might hit the mark.

Greetz

S : )
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

The Sea to Summit Cinder 2c quilt is on sale for around £120 at the moment.
Nicely designed, I'm very happy with my 10c one.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Another vote for Cumulus here, lots of custom options & I’ve found their quality to be really good.
Got a custom 150 & 250, both made slightly bigger than standard & the 250 with 900 down, quantum pro outer. The zipped footbox means they can both open out flat & square & be used as a blanket, which I’ve also found useful.
Used the 250 on the TNR the other year, but found it slightly on the cold side when biviing at altitude. But it’s my go-to most of the year in the uk..

https://cumulus.equipment/uk_en/wizard/ ... uct/id/78/
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks Jase, Sha, YGH and Scott .. Looks like a Cumulus 250 with a bit of extra fill is a good option. Was tempted by a well-priced TR Vesper 32 in the sale but at 4 deg comfort it might not be much better than what I have aside from the reduced faff of any quilt. I was a bit wary of a bag rated to 4 deg comfort that is 80g (almost 20% approx) lighter than the Cumulus equivalent warmth bag?
If the 250 is just about ok with a jacket on etc high up on the TNR that's ideal - that would be the occasional limit, to around 0 deg.

Neve Gear Warratah does look good too - the -2 rated, 900FP is 635g, a bit bigger and heavier than a Cumulus 250 and they don't have anything between that and a 4 deg option. Will message them and ask about options.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Last Q .. 250g or 350g fill, for 2 quilts from the same brand with 850FP down?

4 deg comfort Vs ~1 deg comfort it seems. 100g weight difference isn't a decider. FWIW I don't have much of my own insulation but I also don't like to sleep too warm, so my concern with a 350 is that it'll be too warm for summer in the UK or France. Is there any rule of thumb for how many degrees to add to a comfort rating temp before a bag is too warm?

I don't need this for winter but I will want it to be ok higher up in the Alps occasionally, TNR high bivies etc. Mostly for UK and France 3 seasons use.