The magic roundabout ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

The magic roundabout ...

Post by godivatrailrider »

Round and round I go.

In the market for something special (ish) .... and rare for me ... a new bikepacking bike!

I have a 29+ Singular Rooster which I currently use and it's pretty damn good ... but 29+ tyres are limited in choice, definitely draggy, and heavy.
I also have a Genesis CDF 10 which I have to say I really like and it's the bike I ride most. But tyre clearance is limited.
I also have a Jones Spaceframe/truss fork which has always been set up singlespeed. I'm not averse to just spending a bit of money on some nice wheels and new geared drive train.....
South Shropshire isn't very SS friendly for an old fat bloke.

So I was thinking possibly a Sonder Broken Road Pinion, with the electric smartshift option.... probably 650b for more tyre volume. I love the idea of the massive gear range ( I NEED very low gearing) of the pinion. Also if Gates Belt drive , virtually nothing to go wrong. It's more flat bar, and I'm leaning towards drops. Or stick with my beloved Jones / Geoff bars.

Then I look at Brothers Mehteh... a gravel bike, great clearance, ticks all the boxes.

The Mehteh would be significantly cheaper than the Broken Road.... though a Ti bike is also very appealing.

Olsen sort of do a pinion Ti gravel bike but I'm not sure I'm convinced...

Budget is around £5k.

I could just modernise the Jones .... it's a fantastic frame which doesn't get ridden. I'm not really sure what I'd go for with nice wheels and I'd probably want 2x10

Any thoughts folks?
Last edited by godivatrailrider on Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lazarus

Re: The magic roundabout ...

Post by Lazarus »

29+ tyres are limited in choice, definitely draggy, and heavy.
BURN HIM
I use 29+ summer and 650B+ for winter. (.easier to get mud tyres for them) and cannot really tell the rolling resistance difference tbh.
That is on a Sonder ( non piniom*).Broken road . Lovely bike just feels great IMHO and have done over 2 000 miles on it now. If it broke i would just buy another one

* locally two lads i ocassionally bunp into eqch have the pinion ( gates belt)very early edition they think possibly the first ever sold bynSonder and .they reported zero faults with it in over 6 years ownership..They carry a spare belt which adds weight and cost but neither had ever broken one. ( they also argued no chains or new mech or casette make it cheaper in the.long run) one had grip shift one paddles to change and they just said personal preference ( think.you need two cables fornit but not sure)

Edit : assuming you ever wanted to fit 29 + the sliding dropouts need to be at full travel to fit.the 3 " tyre i use sized up as 2.8 and i dont think you would fit wider . Assuming a gates i dont think you could swap between wheels unless set up that.way (.i assume the pinion dropouts are the same)
godivatrailrider

Thanks for the advice .... I don't think saying 29+ tyres are getting harder to find, are draggy (er than a 40mm crosser tyre) and are heavy is in the slightest bit contentious ! ... iirc a Chronicle ( original one still fitted to the front of the Rooster) is 1.2kg which for a bike tyre is heavy.

I get on well with the Rooster but after the CDF it's much harder work.

I lost my Dad in June and therefore have come into a little 'surplus' money I wouldn't mind getting something I wouldn't normally consider just to say "Thanks Dad! "

I guess the Pinion'd Broken Road with electric 'thumb shifters' ( I don't currently have electric thumbs...) could be fitted with drops, just have to move hand to change gear, but that's normal on drops I guess.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:10 pm It's more flat bar, and I'm leaning towards drops.
Can't help with the rest of the question but I've just discovered these

https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/handlebar ... -handlebar

Described as drop bars for bikes not designed for drops. Biggest issue seems to be finding any for sale, I'd like to put them on my Frankengravel commuter which is just a 2014 MTB with drops added. The position is ok but would be better with those bars I think.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
FLV

Post by FLV »

If its something special, bought with the 'thanks' that you say, I should try to get something adaptable personally.

For me, that has certain criteria such as fitting SS or Gears, or a gear hub even. MTB for me with mid travel fork like a 120 that allows a rigid fork etc. Ti for me.

That way I can make a trail bike for riding all the time, take the gears off for winter. Go ride the tuscany trail (etc) set up rigid. All on 'one' bike.

But, I am prone to endless faffing :-bd

For me, all that rules out a pinion.

Obviously for you, these needs are all different I'd have thought. Narrow down what you need, if its not out there, have it made :-bd
faustus

Post by faustus »

The Jones sounds like such a lovely classic though, and you could make it 2x12 if you wanted mammoth gear range, i guess it wouldn't be plus at the back though? You're then refreshing it with nice wheels and new drivetrain.

The Broken Road (pinion or otherwise) is a decent option for sure, and can be customised for your needs as they offer a full custom option. For me though, that wouldn't be as subjectively 'nice' as the spaceframe.

I've got a pair of the Corralitos handlebars on the Camino, and they are a fantastic position. Definitely a flat bar rider's drop bar! :lol: They would work well on monster cross builds for sure. @sean - I got mine from Woods Cyclery, but see they're out of stock too...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

in the slightest bit contentious
Its not, its a hunour fail on my part.
For context a mate was taking the mickey about how weight weenie i am with the broken road then lump 1kg tyres on it ( and i only have summer tyres for my 29+ due to cost weight and availability.
godivatrailrider

faustus wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:37 pm The Jones sounds like such a lovely classic though, and you could make it 2x12 if you wanted mammoth gear range, i guess it wouldn't be plus at the back though? You're then refreshing it with nice wheels and new drivetrain.

The Broken Road (pinion or otherwise) is a decent option for sure, and can be customised for your needs as they offer a full custom option. For me though, that wouldn't be as subjectively 'nice' as the spaceframe.

I've got a pair of the Corralitos handlebars on the Camino, and they are a fantastic position. Definitely a flat bar rider's drop bar! :lol: They would work well on monster cross builds for sure. @sean - I got mine from Woods Cyclery, but see they're out of stock too...
The Jones is simply the best bike I’ve ever ridden and is totally under utilised now. It’s got a nice set of Travers 650b+ rims which seems a good fit. I have another boxed pair of the same rims which could be built onto a suitable Hope hub or even Chris King 😳 if they’re still a thing..
I’m totally overwhelmed by the incredible array of derailleur options but don’t want to be trapped into forking out £400 for a flippin cassette… so would probably stay at 10/11 speed rather than the latest and greatest…
Brakes could be replaced too.
Still be cheaper than a £5k pinion Broken Road..
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Sounds to me like you need to build the Jones up with some gears if it’s not getting used but only after you’ve bought that new bike :wink:

Not sure if you’re familiar with this brand https://tout-terrain.de/en/the-products ... r/outback/ but someone over on instagram (https://www.instagram.com/tristanrid?ig ... t2Zm5od2Fr) seems to have done a lot of touring on his
godivatrailrider

Jones might not be the best BP bike with the space frame … limited frame bag options & fork mounts
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Since you've got the budget, may be worth looking at the Fairlight Holt. Boutique prices but a very nice looking bike.
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:00 pm Jones might not be the best BP bike with the space frame … limited frame bag options & fork mounts
Get the Jones truss fork bags, and you won't need a massive frame bag. They are a great design and don't budge. I'd personally spend some money on the Jones,you've already admitted its the best bike you've ridden..I've got two diamond frames (swb&Lwb) and kinda agree with you :-bd
godivatrailrider

Stinginglip wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:25 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:00 pm Jones might not be the best BP bike with the space frame … limited frame bag options & fork mounts
Get the Jones truss fork bags, and you won't need a massive frame bag. They are a great design and don't budge. I'd personally spend some money on the Jones,you've already admitted its the best bike you've ridden..I've got two diamond frames (swb&Lwb) and kinda agree with you :-bd
Certainly getting more tempting…. Though a CK rear hub is £400 😳…. It’ll be Hope then 😂😂 a dynamo hub might be useful … anyone make one for the Truss fork … should probably check the Jones website …
godivatrailrider

How does the LWB differ to the Short in terms of riding ?... even more stability I guess
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:05 pm ...a CK rear hub is £400 😳
CK for bling, DT240 for function. You can probably source a new DT240 rear hub for £250.
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:15 am
How does the LWB differ to the Short in terms of riding ?... even more stability I guess
What spacing is your truss fork? LWB is more stable and confident downhill. Tbh there's nothing wrong with the swb handling wise,it's all I've rode this year...Lwb has been in bits!!
godivatrailrider

Stinginglip wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:14 pm
What spacing is your truss fork? LWB is more stable and confident downhill. Tbh there's nothing wrong with the swb handling wise,it's all I've rode this year...Lwb has been in bits!!
Can't remember ... it uses a Hope Fat snow
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:29 pm
Stinginglip wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:14 pm
Can't remember ... it uses a Hope Fat snow
Probs 142
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think my Jones (2012, original 29er geometry) is a great all-round bikepacker. These days I want a bit more from it when unloaded on trickier trails but for loaded mixed-terrain riding it's one version of perfect. I have one built as a SS and one with gears for loaded trips and summer long distance XC, mainly as it's just so good as a SS and also as a bikepacker and I didn't want to keep swapping bits over.

I like the look of this if you wanted dynamo compatible front wheels and a more normal frame space and reach / fit - Spa Rove 725. Love the seat cluster arrangement, very early 90s Rocky Mountain. It's not a modern MTB but it's not a typical gravel bike either. Quite like the Jones in that way?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s226p49 ... -Hydraulic

There are 150mm and 135mm spaced dynamos, though the 135s tend to be standard dynamos with extensions on each end and (I guess) a spacer needed for the brake mount. Didn't appeal to me so I just use a power bank when using the Jones for trips. I have 3 other bikes with dynamos though so if I ever find a 100mm spaced Ti truss ...
so would probably stay at 10/11 speed rather than the latest and greatest…
I'm about to build a new geared rear wheel for the Jones, will use 10s 11-46 type cassettes like Deore or Microshift, an 11s Deore or XT rear mech and an old 10s trigger shifter, it's all compatible and cheap. Gears are just consumable parts.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

The SON 150 mm hub, suitable for Jones' Truss has a wider flange than the 135 mm option. No funky spacing needed for the rotor, unless the Truss is even more funky.
Stinginglip wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:25 pm I'd personally spend some money on the Jones,you've already admitted its the best bike you've ridden..
I'd do the same. Pick your favourite bike and turn it into your most ridden one by swapping a few bits.
X01/XX1 Eagle cassettes can be found for 200 quid.
DT350 hubs are more reliable than Hope, similar price (cheaper here in Switzerland), yet slightly lighter.

Despite its shape, the frame still offers space (haha) for luggage.
godivatrailrider

Great replies folks … looking into moderate new stuff for the Jones… it came with a gear hanger…. I’ve moved 3 times since then… but I think I still have it somewhere in a Thomson seat post bag 🤔🤔🤔
ton

Post by ton »

So I was thinking possibly a Sonder Broken Road Pinion, with the electric smartshift option.... probably 650b for more tyre volume. I love the idea of the massive gear range ( I NEED very low gearing) of the pinion. Also if Gates Belt drive , virtually nothing to go wrong.
reading this reminds me of the reasons i wanted to buy my Ti Fargo with a Rohloff. zero fuss, no spannering to be done, and nothing to go wrong.

how wrong all that turned out to be.
leaking hub, split rim, snapped Ti frame. bike to expensive to want to leave anywhere as i was scared it would be pinched. replacement frame i was scared to ride, as i didnt want it to snapped again. massive investment, massive worries that has left me not ever wanting to own a expensive fancy bike.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ton wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:45 am
So I was thinking possibly a Sonder Broken Road Pinion, with the electric smartshift option.... probably 650b for more tyre volume. I love the idea of the massive gear range ( I NEED very low gearing) of the pinion. Also if Gates Belt drive , virtually nothing to go wrong.
reading this reminds me of the reasons i wanted to buy my Ti Fargo with a Rohloff. zero fuss, no spannering to be done, and nothing to go wrong.

how wrong all that turned out to be.
leaking hub, split rim, snapped Ti frame. bike to expensive to want to leave anywhere as i was scared it would be pinched. replacement frame i was scared to ride, as i didnt want it to snapped again. massive investment, massive worries that has left me not ever wanting to own a expensive fancy bike.
I missed that saga, sorry to hear it didnt work out.
jameso

Post by jameso »

The SON 150 mm hub, suitable for Jones' Truss has a wider flange than the 135 mm option. No funky spacing needed for the rotor, unless the Truss is even more funky.
Mine's the older 135 spec truss so the SON is a spaced standard body (not sure whether it's F or R disc spacing). It'd work but I'm fussy and I don't like the idea/look of the extended axles, though I'm sure it'd be ok - SON do things well. Plus I tend to ride slower and take more breaks in pubs + cafes when riding that bike so a battery pack is fine.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ton wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:45 am massive investment, massive worries that has left me not ever wanting to own a expensive fancy bike.
Forget what I said about the Jones then :lol:
jameso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:44 pm It'd work but I'm fussy and I don't like the idea/look of the extended axles, though I'm sure it'd be ok - SON do things well
The hubs's not the problem on the 135 mm version. It's them snappy, bendy, wiggle-loosy M5 QR skewers.