Rockshox SiD Ultimate curious!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Rockshox SiD Ultimate curious!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not the olden day poor reliability onces. But I'm building the SC (finally, God Willing) in the coming weeks. Don't wanna add a 2kg fork to the front but nor do I have a lovely Trav to go on.

Only thing for it is a Reba or SID in boost flavours. There's some for around £250 in ebay, claiming to have been serviced which I have no reason to doubt. Question is regards reliabilty of these newer units (like 2021 onwards). There's a SiD off a a Specialized going for about £250 but has the brain technology. My undersanding of alot of the specialized fork upgrades was that it wasn't a reliable system etc.

Which, leads me to the Q... Should I go for the Boost REBA RL which is probably about 1650g. Or is it better value to go for a SID with Brain tech, but weighs a massive 1500g (compared the the superlight other SIDS).

Bike will be used for bikepacking and 12 x 100 milers in the next twelve months (InshaAllah) so prime need is reliability over weight!
GregMay

Re: Rockshox SiD Ultimate curious!

Post by GregMay »

I've had my SIDs since they came out. I've not had issues. But I am aware of people who've had issues with the bushings being less in contact, and getting some internal knocking.

I don't ride them easy, and they've been fine. But I've never trashed a pair of forks in 20 odd years. Wheels now...that's different.

I will say that they are quite Marmite with regards to how they ride. They are a race fork, setup isn't quite as easy as a coil/air mix. But I've zero intention of not riding them.

FWIW, my 4th pair of SIDs - still have an older SID blackbox on my SS. Somewhere, a pair with the carbon steerer and crown (WCs maybe??) in the basement...but they are well past their best by date (all 83mm of travel on them)
redefined_cycles

Thanks Greg. Have sent this person an offer of 225. Seems a right bargain if I win it. Hopefully the extra brain will be good for me :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186122712309 ... media=COPY
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Did you win?
redefined_cycles

Nope. Sounds like the person had cold feet ablut letting it go so cheap. Gave some story ablut unsble to post til next week so he'd rather I offered again then...

Have enquired as to if I can collect instead! :smile:
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I mentioned this on someone else's thread the other day but I had the Reba/SID dilemma when building my Cotic Cascade up last year. I went with the Reba RL and am pleased with it, but have never ridden a SID to compare. Saving a few hundred quid for a few hundred grams was a fair compromise IMO. They've been good for all I've used them for thousands of km so far including a LL200, BB200, aborted HT550 … 

Worth keeping an eye out for OEM stock being sold off by Wiggle/CRC, Merlin or whoever as I only paid 200ish I think.

Oh, and 'Race Ready Suspension' in Kendal are good for switching remote to crown lock out (or vice versa I guess) if any bargain you find is the wrong one: I bought remote but wanted crown and it was only £40 to convert as he uses only the innards required rather than the full cartridge which is the 'proper' way.
Last edited by Hyppy on Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Thanks v much Hyppy :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've some SIDs going spare - SID RL, 120mm travel, 51mm offset, solo air, Motion Control, bar mounted lock out, 110x15mm maxle. Black and 1740g on my scales with remote and cable.
Stickers are a bit tatty and the thread has gone on the hose clamp (could be re-tapped or use a self tapper, or a cable tie). I'll be putting a FS post with pics up later.
redefined_cycles

boxelder wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:14 am I've some SIDs going spare - SID RL, 120mm travel, 51mm offset, solo air, Motion Control, bar mounted lock out, 110x15mm maxle. Black and 1740g on my scales with remote and cable.
Stickers are a bit tatty and the thread has gone on the hose clamp (could be re-tapped or use a self tapper, or a cable tie). I'll be putting a FS post with pics up later.
Very nice. Thanks v much. I'll keep my eyes peeled for when you pop em up. If they're in budget I'll be in touch :-bd