Cairngorms Loopy loop group finish

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Cairngorms Loopy loop group finish

Post by boxelder »

At Phil's suggestion, to avoid cluttering the wildlife thread, a very quick report on last weekend's Cairngorm Loop Group finish.

It were ace. Sun, dust, adders, ice cream, swimming, post ride beer and chilli. Start and finish was Glen Feshie, with new off roadier section from the start to Tomintoul and an extra loop around Meal an-t Slugain on the way to Invercauld/Braemer. It then does the inner loop back through Feshie and Fords of Avon, before the Tilt/Fealar/Blair/Gaick finish. You started whenever you wanted, with the aim of finishing for a social Saturday PM.

See more on Bikepacking.com, complete with pic of at least two 'boners enjoying a post ride cold one: https://bikepacking.com/news/cairngorms ... nish-2023/

Well worth planning to attend next year and any extra funds raised go to local trail fairies.

Here's a bit of the new 'Slugain' section (after some lengthy pushing.....)

The really not completely unpleasant bridge and pool at the top of Feshie

Avon shelter, occupied by a couple of newbie RSF types who'd struggled up from Aviemore

Glen Derry at 6am after my camp at Derry Lodge
fatbikephil

Re: Cairngorms Loopy loop group finish

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Lucky with that weather.
Is there a GPX anywhere? I think I've pretty much worked it all out but would be nice to have it as one route.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Them pictures :-bd So so beautiful. Thanks :smile:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nice one Andy :-bd

Here you go Phil: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42745223

I'll post some pics up soon too.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers Dave!
Looks good that, although missing Fealar lodge would make it about 300 :???:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

We took a rather more relaxed approach to this than Andy, and most of the other riders I think, in setting off on Wednesday afternoon - the beauty of a group finish - and were massively fortunate to get a 4 day weather window. We chose to do the route in a different order - the beauty of starting at one of the crossing points - and went round the northern inner loop first, all the way round the outer loop, and finishing on the last bit of the inner loop from Linn of Dee to the Glen Feshie. This meant getting a large chunk of the rough stuff out of the way first, and made resupply pretty straightforward to schedule.

The bouldery singletrack over the Fords of Avon and down Glen Derry had us fairly frustrated and worrying about our schedule, but we made it to Bob Scott's bothy late Wednesday night, despite me smashing my rear wheel into a boulder-filled hole and putting a tear right by the tyre bead - thankfully a noodle fixed it. There we found a young Dutch couple who'd already gone to bed, but seemed only too happy to vacate for their tent - we soon realised that it wasn't just the prospect of us noisily eating and setting up beds, but an older guy (since departed to his bivvy) had insisted on stoking the stove all evening and it was about 30degrees. Opening the door or windows would have been suicide :roll:

On Thursday we persevered with the complete route, going up and round to Fealar Lodge despite growing misgivings about our timings, and arrived in Blair Atholl for a late lunch - not the late breakfast we'd hoped. However, after a restorative Spar/pub combo, we realised that, although we wouldn't make it beyond Aviemore that evening, we weren't that far behind, and the going would get significantly easier for a while. We dispatched the climb over Gaick and found a nice flat semi-sheltered bit of grass behind an old cottage by the road down Glen Tromie. The hip flask made its first appearance.

We started Friday with confidence that a good day would see us in reach of the group finish on Saturday, something that had seemed impossible the previous day. We religiously maintained our social pace though, stopping for an excellent coffee and pastries at the Old Post Office in Feshiebridge, supplies in Aviemore, where we were recommended a pizza place in Boat of Garten. Sadly it wasn't open yet, so we consoled ourselves with pastries and cold drinks from the excellent little shop by the road junction. After a hot afternoon slog over to Tomintoul, we topped up supplies and ice cream levels at the shop in Tomintoul, and headed up the Avon. Chief aim was to find a midge-free camp spot. The going got slower and slower and we began to lose hope of getting over the top of the climb that evening. After investigating some marginal bivvy spots for any hint of a breeze, we made the call to keep pushing on to the top, not really knowing whether there would be any suitable flat ground, but knowing there was more chance of a breeze. Just before the glen opens out again from the between the scree slopes of Creag an Dails Bheag and Mhor, we came across enough flat, short-grassed ground for three tents by the burn, and judged there was enough breeze to keep the midges away, which thankfully there was. It was another late one, but a glorious evening, made better for knowing we should be able to make the group finish the following day. And more whisky, and even Orkney cheddar and oatcakes :-bd

There was only a short bit of climb left before the descent to Braemar for second breakfast, and the last real stop before home. The only obstacles that needed negotiating on the way up to Linn of Dee and beyond to the Geldie/Feshie watershed were a wedding at Mar Lodge, where we were sadly too early to photobomb the happy (and presumably very well-heeled) couple, and an adder that I nearly met head-on by going OTB braking to avoid it. The descent of the Feshie was a fine way to finish, with the eroded singletrack adding a bit of spice, matched only by the welcome we got at Lagganlia when we rolled in late afternoon. Not going to set any records for speed, but if there's Bestest Known Time, I think we got it :cool:

I haven't even mentioned the weather, but I don't think I need to. I took about a million photos, a selection of which you can see here, but there's more at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TTcHn4sJeQTTAWgTA

Think there's a post limit on photos, more below...
Last edited by thenorthwind on Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks bloomin' ace that.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
You lucky people!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Glorious weather reminds me of our lakes ride :lol: and inspired me to do this

For those in the know what is the latest in the years I can do this and it be summer ?
Thinking sept( possibly squeeze it in for August ) as a possible date ( realise this will be Scottish Highland summer rather than actual but basically a frost snow ice free ride.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Some great conditions for it. I was supposed to be taking part but a small mechanical the weekend before left me with now bike. Definitely next year.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:43 pm Glorious weather reminds me of our lakes ride :lol: and inspired me to do this

For those in the know what is the latest in the years I can do this and it be summer ?
Thinking sept( possibly squeeze it in for August ) as a possible date ( realise this will be Scottish Highland summer rather than actual but basically a frost snow ice free ride.
There's a group start on 9 September and you could be lucky and get decent, mild weather right through to mid October.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

There's a group start on 9 September
Cheers I have sent an e-mail , possibly to the correct people, as I dont do FB or Instagram [ethical boycott] to " reach out " that way
Boab

Post by Boab »

boxelder wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:09 pm There's a group start on 9 September and you could be lucky and get decent, mild weather right through to mid October.
They seem to have decided to start from Inverdruie rather than Blair Atholl, which seemed to be the previous start point. I'm keen to do the route, but don't see the point driving past Blair Atholl, so would be wanting to start there, so it seems pointless to sign up for a group start; I had the same issue with the group finish to be honest...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

DId not spot that and agree. Have they not lost the free parking at blair atholl?
would probably get the train so might not make that much difference to me - suppose it depends how it impacts re supply [which i have not looked at ]