MTB up - an Everesting journey!

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

MTB up - an Everesting journey!

Post by redefined_cycles »

So after a few biking projects that remain in the pipeline, coupled with the fact that there's alot of crazy people out there riding this weekend, I came up with yet another stupid challenge. It's all training obviously with the various training rides that turned out too hard, or I got too poorly to go and continue training for them - for the moment. Well this most recent one, other than wanting to walk the bike across Pim Chair in the Peak District on an 80 miler from my home, is pretty straightforward.

So for some reason this weekend the Everesting spark flicked in my dumb brain once again. Maybe it was seeing how Alex who's from the Peaks, went to the Lakes for the JennRide, but then decided to go get the fastest time on the Lakes ITT. Or maybe it was inspiration from Matt P who went and tried to beat the current record around the NorthWhatever500 but wind got the better of him. Perhaps it was seeing that V had carried a birthday cake for her current BAM and then had a micro party at the bivy spot!

Dunno, but I started looking at Everesting again and specifically the off road versions. Most people probably don't try that and I know you might wish to advise me that I should maybe go do a road option first. I was supposed to last year, but I think the stress of road riding and constantly engaging with various idiotic (as well as respectable, not arrogant, pleasant) drivers, probably put me off. With the trail, as our Terence (who'd probably broken more bones than you could shake a stick at, and couldn't be chased uphill on his hardcore downhill bike) once put it, "well, it's just you and the trail, innit".

A few youtube videos later and seeing how most people probably don't know the details of the [ur=https://everesting.cc/the-rules/ l]rules[/url] properly or at least decide to not ride 'in the spirit' of the rules. Other than the crazy chap on the Santa Cruz (can't find the vid, but he did a proper up and down of the same DH descent/ascent and it was amazing) who probably sowed the seed last year or before, the only other 2 vids of mtb everesting I could find both seemed to be bending the rules or at least making mtb as close to road as poss.

Generally that was, that they'd go on a fire road and then come down the DH track, thus making a loop. Technically (AFAIK) from what I've read previously this is only allowed if the route is a one way section only. Anyway, enough of the 'rules book bashing', I made the choice of Back Lane - Gate to the Farm. It's closeby; it always makes me wonder if I can clear it without dabbing/walking; possibly a 'killer climb'; and it's the first climb on the many climbs of the NorthPeaks100 loop which I plan to ride without dabbing one day!

Training, it's simple right. I'll just ride it as many times as it takes me to get to the Everest elevation; without breaking my knees; in as few weeks as possible but also with a proper training approach. I'll add my spd pedals; think about toileting and where to stash food and water and work myself up in reps of 5. Today was training day 1.

TBC
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue May 30, 2023 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richpips

Re: Going full retard - an Everesting journey!

Post by Richpips »

My tips. Find a track that is technically easy to ride up. A decent consistent surface would be good. Don't underestimate the descents.

Good luck :-bd
redefined_cycles

So pedals serviced and attached. Spd shoes dug out of car and donned. Plan made to count via the string method, so 22 tiny strings attached to the downtube and some quick maths done. The Everesting calculator told me I needed 110.5 climbs, so 22 strings meant (110/22 = ) each piece could translate to 5 climbs.

Enroute to 'the route' and lots of fiddling of numbers in my head aswell talking myself out of the twinges in my leg - from the stress of the project - I decided I'd do 5 climbs per session for the moment. Direct route as possible taken to Back Lane but then I met Rog and Nigel on an ebike and a Boardman respectively. They were out on a 22 mile loop and had driven over from Silkstone.

"You should come and check out this descent" I suggested after seeing them looking at the map and realising they were forthcoming chaps. Turned out they classed it as the 'killer climb' which they'd been up just a little earlier. "That's not the killer climb" I further beckoned. "The killer climb is where I'm going" so along they came after dropping down Whitley Wood Descent.

At the top of my first rep, which I think they agreed was 'the killer climb', I offered to tour them round and back to near their original route. The bus driver/tour guide in me couldn't help but offer, to which they accepted. Back to the start of my next ascent where we parted our ways, I got permission to use the pic and add to Strava (hold up, this isn't Strava!!).

Rep no 2 and I dabbed, but then set off from the same point. Going up, contemplating the gravity of the challenge. I decided over the next few reps that, during the training phase I'd only count a clean run as a complete rep. Anything dabbed would be thrown out as waste! So rep 3 I cleared cleanly but rep 4 and this micro boulder got in the way.

Well they all look the bloomin same, but on of em was the culprit. I began reflecting over the next climb or so about coming on my days off to brush the dodgy rocks to the side. Like they'd do if Everesting off road was an olympic sport and how they treat gold courses. The verdict came back - from my head - that it'd be against the spirit of the challenge, so I'd better get better at concentrating at my line!

From rep 4, during the downhill, I just couldn't control the screeching of the brakes. It's them metallic pads I'll wager, so after the ride I've come and popped on some original Shimano with a spare disc that I sanded down for good measure. This pic shows another problem of such a 'pure' method of translating the rules as well as choosing a proper mtb track. The turning circle at both ends is reall narrow and this one at the bottom is hopeless to get round without stopping and manhandling the bike.

All in, I managed 7 complete climbs but 2 were seperated with the dreaded 'dab'. So 5 climbs were complete and a string was pulled Alhamdulillah.

On the way back home I decided to test out the theory of Kev and Rog' killer climb being a lesser one than mine. Afterall, I knew em both well and had climbed em both a fair few times. "Have you climbed it before", Rog had asked me earlier about my chosen 'kick in the teeth'. "Yes, 85 times" I'd humbly explained back, but that's over about 15 years. Now I was planning to climb it more times in one sitting than the previous 15 years combined and my knees are hurting (at the time of writing).

One last pic of Back Lane, which from the picture looks deceptively sedate. But when peering at it in the flesh, you can see the punishment awaiting in the distance - relentless!

On the way back home, via the lesser climb and sadly I slipped sideways. Picked the wrong line and lost traction in the dry mud. But to ensure I was ready for an Everest I went back a little and went back up, this time via the lip in the middle :-bd

Another shot of the sister climb to mine (Whitley Wood Descent) which I now know is Scopsley Ln Climb on the uphill and ramps up to 23% according to my alarmed Wahoo at the steepest section.
redefined_cycles

My tips. Find a track that is technically easy to ride up. A decent consistent surface would be good. Don't underestimate the descents.

Good luck :-bd
Oh my days... How could I forget the lactic acid buildup after descent 4. One of the reasons why I always avoid this as a DH and choose Whitley Wood to go down. Good point Rich, but then that'd be cheating. I've chosen the one closest to my heart :lol: I'm laughing, but I know I really should be crying :cry:

Best have a really good training method and good recovery during it! :o :smile:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHVUG2shy7w

A double but still, an inspiring watch. A few good watches on his YouTube channel too but all in really good weather which is very different from over here :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
redefined_cycles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHVUG2shy7w

A double but still, an inspiring watch. A few good watches on his YouTube channel too but all in really good weather which is very different from over here :-bd
Thanks Leerowe, yes it was his double Everest that was in my watch list and partly the inspiration to get this done this year. He's done an mtb Everest befoee that too I believe (and I suppose is hard as nails) but another one that (I think, as I didn't pay that much attention to the vid after a bit) bent the rules slightly. Took a fire road type climb (nothing wrong with that) up but then the DH (I always think of the lactic acid - painful thing for me it is) was a different section. Technically making it a loop which could be seen as a disqual with the silly folk at HQ :grin:
redefined_cycles

Anyway, got myself a supervisor - my mate Ameer who did Swaines Everest last year. Shoewed him the climb which he suggested to talk me out of at first ('it'll take you more than the 24H limit'). I told him there isn't a time limit in the rules and then thought to myself, 'what the heck' as reality hit that I'll probably go well over 24H.

Then he sent me some stats about my off road climbing being 2% steeper than Swaines (one of the tougher road climbs in London) and a suggested plan of action. So now I'm (coming to my senses) and will be aiming for a target day in August - he suggested Sept!

Best get my legs conditioned with some 12000ft efforts (a couple of) before a good rest and the big(ger) day :shock: If anyone has any ideas of which charity, then I'd be all ears. Have thought about a homeless charity run by my mate in/for Birmingham or McMillan. But, can't stop thinking about the 4 million Syrian refugees in/around Turkey!

Decisions... decisions...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Any chance you could amend the thread title? "Retard" is considered by many people to be a slur based on disability.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I suppose it could be interpreted in its 'to delay or hold back progress' form. Seems applicable to the palaver involved :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Bearlegged wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:07 am Any chance you could amend the thread title? "Retard" is considered by many people to be a slur based on disability.
Aha. I did'nt actually think of it like that. Will do that (sorry for any offence to anyone - wasn't intended)... vid also deleted.
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue May 30, 2023 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:15 am I suppose it could be interpreted in its 'to delay or hold back progress' form. Seems applicable to the palaver involved :wink: .
I'm thinking of it as training for BB200 Reg...
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:27 am
RIP wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:15 am I suppose it could be interpreted in its 'to delay or hold back progress' form. Seems applicable to the palaver involved :wink: .
Might be the other way round :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Re: MTB UP - an Everesting journey!

Haha. Yes, a bit of overtraining never did any harm (well, other than muscle cramps/seizures and breakdowns). Funny thing is that mentally I find things like the BAM challenge more draining (kindof). Lets see how I get on as you're probably right about biting off a bit more than what's chewable. Besides, it's such a lovely climb on a normal day :o
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Re: MTB up - an Everesting journey!

Post by Lazarus »

Also glad title was changed for same reason -not a word to be used IMHO- as its easily misconstrued.
One last pic of Back Lane, which from the picture looks deceptively sedate
Just looks very familiar -personally if its what i think i would go with MUCH shallower
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:23 pm Also glad title was changed for same reason -not a word to be used IMHO- as its easily misconstrued.
One last pic of Back Lane, which from the picture looks deceptively sedate
Just looks very familiar -personally if its what i think i would go with MUCH shallower
Agreed about terminology (and had to look it up).. soz.

Yes, you recognised it well. Spent alot of time deciding which (local) climb would be the one for me. Even before deciding I was up for it. Definitely a 'go-er' but I do get your point. It's a horrible excuse of a climb. Once over that lip though and it's (kindof) plain sailing.

Must remember to get smaller chain ring for the big day (but will train with the 32 ring). Seeing you go up that lip at Wessenden Head (which I've probably only done less than a handful of times in 20 years) really encouraged/inspired me. Hence managing to do the alternate climb lip yesterday... Shallower is smart thinking btw.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Agreed about terminology (and had to look it up).. soz.
i did not think there was intent

I briefly looked at everesting, till i realised how many miles were involved, and they advised 10% for an amateur and 12-14% for a pro ,this was road.

Time wise how fast you can get down is pretty important as well and locally the descent is to slow to make it viable [and it was nearing 200 miles]
redefined_cycles

200 miles for an Everest. That's proper madness!
redefined_cycles

My approximate calculations currently. Though this may change in the coming month (as I might be slightly faster or slower... and may manage less stoppage times!).
redefined_cycles

Thanks to Bob (for the mention of it ages ago) I'm using ICU intervals to keep training simple but effective. With a heart rate monitor so the algorithm has somethng to go by.

V clever indeed.
redefined_cycles

Traiming ride today. Target was 13 climbs but decided to go with 11 after thinking it through and worrying about the knees popping. Saw some smily walkers but equally (just one) who just grunted as I rode past both times (preferred to talk to his dog it seemed).

Did some soul searching and whether I should just go back to the road bike and climb, but told myself that's silly. Named some of the sections and brushed (kicked) away a few rocks to clear the way, like it's a golf course/lawn. Also continued with the plan of making sure I chuck each attempt where I dab in the recycle bin and dismantle (I'll edit the proper word when it comes to me) it.

This method worked a treat and only dabbed once, so 11 full climbs and one half :-bd The names are interesting enough but hopefully someone might have some better appropriations for em - watch this space for pics!
redefined_cycles

Advanced Base Camp - cos it hardest to reach after a right good old slog tackling the various rocks trying to get a proper tyre-hold!

Base Camp - where the relative ease ends and gnarling rocks are set in the dry mud.

Can't think of a name for this as I'm not fully aware of all the Everest segments. But provisionally named, 'The Approach' as it's just after the climb starts. No decent turning circle means you've manually turned the bike around and soon after departing, whilst still struggling to put up the saddle and clip in the left foot, it jumps out at you. The left slope is what's needed to get a good grip up, or else the right just feels too gnarly whilst so much other stuff's going on!

The North Face - if you lose that left ridge here or come out of it wrong, you're 'dabbing'. Effectively fallen off the mountain so seems an appropriate name.

One things for certain, unlike roadie climbs, this would need 100% concentration up most of it. Though once past Advanced Base Camp and a few more super tough pedal strokes, it eases off...

Got myself some (lots) of electrolyte tabs, new cleats as I reckon the old ones are so worn that the pedals just feel loose (despite tightening them). Also, I'm hoping to put the XTR cranks on which are 172.5 instead of these at 175 (or more). Hopefully a few extra percents of stiffness and no more dodging pedal strikes at Advanced Base Camp.
redefined_cycles

Just did another 9 reps today and to be honest I think I had another 10 left in me (which would give me 6500ft in 20 miles or 21). Thank God for the EBB which after about 7 reps, was adjusted to get me feeling more upright on the steeps!

Having named the sections the other day really worked well - I also found another name for another section which is the nastiest - and mentally alot easier. Hopefully soon they'll become second nature and I'll know the line to take up (and down). Sadly some downhillers must've been about as the rocks had been flung all the place once again. So not as clean a run as the other days!

Anyway, say hello to, 'The Death Zone'. On Everest it's the bit beyond Advanced Base Camp I think, but for me it's the bit that once cleared I can breathe a bit easier and alot less chance of falling over or slipping out!
redefined_cycles

The Death Zone (circled in red) and (historically about 7 years ago) fallen tree in purple.

What a horrible place to be. Sadly the undulations in the maps just don't do it justice :smile: Alhamdulillah...
redefined_cycles

Right, so coming towards an almost successful month of training for this Everesting attempt. A few changes made to the bike and maybe a few more are on the cards - rear tyre; inboard bar ends put to out; swapped saddle for a carved type Selle; dropper post upgraded to brandnew.

Target has been to make the attempt by Sept or mid August, which lwaves a full month and more to recover for the BB200. Also trying to get upto a standard of about 20 repeats, which gives me at least 1800m and means it's 20% of the total effort on Everesting day. Unfortunately after my latest chest infection - standard practice for the past 4 years has been approx 3 chest infection per year, so this is 2 of 3 this year - for which I recovered swiftly, I've faced reality that I'm realistically gonna be good for an Advanced Base Camp (ABC) attempt.

Aiming for an ABC which means an ascent of 6400m in one sitting. This should take closer to 24 hours which makes it a bit easier on the health. Apparently the real ABC can be hiked all the way up without climbing ropes & krampons... Something like that!

Ahem, so back to todays ride. I went out after aborting yesterday due to the chest. The green juices blended at home with spinach/greens & fruits have helped me recover this current infection in less than 4 days. A real record for me :-bd

Got to my chosen climb of assault but found this broken tree. Last we've had one of these was about 15 years previous in the storms, which took out a wall. Took about 2 or 3 months to have it removed. So my 287ft climb is now revised to 260ft.

Looks like it gave way somewhere closer down.

This being the tree where the main stump fell.

Outermost layer about 2 or 3cm thick!

First climb went ok. Still feeling the effects of being away more than a 5 days. Second was as tough as anything and had to dab. But then got back on and completed the climb after a good breather.

Target was at least 10 ascents (of 0.5 mile each and now 265ft of up) and after climb 3 or 4 I ditched the bag which made me at least 2kg lighter. Completed 7 climbs in total and had another 10 easily in my legs, but time pressures!

Got my head round trying for 6400m instead and adjusted my fundraising target to £68000 accordingly. Currently still training on the 34t front ring which will be swapped to the 30t for the big day. Next update, hopefully in a month :smile:
redefined_cycles

Re MTB up - an Everesting journey!

RIP wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:31 pm