Anyone got any experiences with Planet X Sleeping bags?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Anyone got any experiences with Planet X Sleeping bags?

Post by godivatrailrider »

Looking for a lightweight 2 down season bag.
The goto choice would be the Pipedream 200, but Planet X have the DarkSky 200 which looks pretty damn similar in specs, fill, material etc though rated slightly less warm
It's £65.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SBZAD200/ ... eeping-bag
vs
https://alpkit.com/products/pipedream-200

Worth a punt? I have a cloud cover quilt and a Sea to Summit Thermalite liner to use in combination if required....
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Anyone got any experiences with Planet X Sleeping bags?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No direct experience but observations ..... Can't help thinking that with 400g of fp750, it really should be rated for lower temps. Maybe it's the pictures but it also looks very thin - certainly doesn't look like there's much loft, which there should be with those specs.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You aren't going to notice a difference of 1 degree in how a bag performs, your own condition will have more effect - how well fed you are, how fatigued, etc.

Looking at the specs of the two bags, the 400g of down in the Planet-X model doesn't seem right. Both bags are similar in weight, only 35g between them, both use the same shell weight for both inside and outside so those are likely to be very similar in weight (Look at Cumulus' quilt range - there's only 20g or so difference between each model in the line, so the 450 shell is only 60g heavier than the 150). If the PX bag truly had 400g then the shell would only weigh 180g, the Pipedream's shell weighs 340g.

As Stu notes there isn't much loft - it's actually the loft that provides the insulation, the down is just the means of creating that loft. Given the temp ratings I suspect that the PX bag only has 200g of down plus it's called the "Darksky 200" :wink:

At £65 it might be worth a punt. At worst you can use it for stop overs.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JackT

Post by JackT »

I recently wrote a big 'cheap but good' feature for Cycle, the magazine of Cycling UK (online here https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-magazin ... -gear-less )

The one area where I concluded it really wasn't possible to be cheap and good was sleeping bags, unless you find them in a heavily discounted sale. Happy to stand corrected, but I would be wary of PlanetX's offerings. I'd probably go for Alpkit if I was after something bargain-ish, and there were no sales on at Rock+Run, Needle Sports etc.
godivatrailrider

Cheers. I've contacted Planet x as I do suspect the fill of 400g is wrong , the 400 has 400g the 600 has 600g so presumably the 200 has 200g.
However this is the same as the the Pipedream 200 so I'd think the performance should be somewhat similar.

In combination with a thermal liner & a potential Cloud base quilt on a r4.2 sleep mat, hopefully I'd be ok April - October in the UK ....
Mart

Post by Mart »

If you’re looking for lightweight sleeping then a quilt might fit the bill.
I’ve got a cumulus one, and it packs smaller/lighter for same temp rating :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
godivatrailrider

I have a cloud cover but i doubt it'd be warm enough on it's own
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

There's quilts (Cumulus, Enlightened Equipment, Thermarest, Sea2Summit etc) and then there's Alpkit's Cloudcover, IMO :roll: Pretty much any of the others will do you something effective. The Cloudcover is (or at least mine) was a poor size, stitched through and not all that great. I've chuntered about them before :oops:

With regard Planet X, it's really hard to know but isn't one of their senior management ex-Alpkit? Given a lot of Alpkit's stuff is Chinese catalogue products (AFAIK, ish) I'd hazard a guess that some of Planet X's recent forays into BP, camp etc equipment is probably using the same or similar suppliers so they might not be as poor show as some might expect. They're a lottery-like shopping experience but if it's a no quibble return policy you'll only lose postage.
godivatrailrider

The Zastrugi 200 is now £54 +£4 delivery .. I'm still reticent.
Comfort: 12.2c
Limit: 8.4c

Mind you I look at the Pipedream and the numbers don't really inspire me with a 7C LIMIT ... though I guess in the summer , which is what it's designed for .... it's likely to stay in double figures at night...

In the end I'll end up with some thing like this https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleep-shelter ... zip__44702 :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My 10 degree rated bag is only good for the warmest of warm days and almost always needs supplementing with an escape bivvy as a liner .

YMMV
godivatrailrider

Lazarus wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:56 pm My 10 degree rated bag is only good for the warmest of warm days and almost always needs supplementing with an escape bivvy as a liner .

YMMV
Thank you for that !

As long as YMMV isn't You Make Me Vomit ...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Thank you for that !
Should have said its synthetic [ as all my bags are but even when i tired it the house at over 10 it was still not very warm
Should also say I weigh 62 kg so there is not much personal insulation on me ; no idea if that makes a difference.[ no idea of your weight here to be clear ]
godivatrailrider

Lazarus wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:16 pm
Thank you for that !
Should have said its synthetic [ as all my bags are but even when i tired it the house at over 10 it was still not very warm
Should also say I weigh 62 kg so there is not much personal insulation on me ; no idea if that makes a difference.[ no idea of your weight here to be clear ]
That could certainly make a difference ! I'm about 93kg so have er, more insulation than you...
godivatrailrider

Anyone familiar with Stoic sleeping bags ... this looks reasonable for a summer down bag ... https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/stoic-nija ... eping-bag/