North Yorkshire Moors 300, July 1/2

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Re: North Yorkshire Moors 300, July 1/2

Post by boxelder »

Well done Phil - you were looking determined at Rosedale. Doesn't look like the dark slowed you down much either.
Nice to meet you Boab - it was me bedding down on the other side of the hedge when you paused on the tarmac up to Rudland Rigg. I had a few hours kip there and rolled in just before 10am, after a few confused loops of Thirsk one way system and car parks :???:

Thanks again to Redsky bikes and especially Stuart.
Photo dump - though none of Phil, as he didn't stay still long enough.....

Martin and Andrew? on the Cleveland Way early on

Carlton Bank looking north to Teesmouth and Roseberry Topping

Karl setting up a pic at Danby Beacon

The 'cinder track' crossing the Esk with Whitby Abbey on the horizon

Robin Hoods Bay - last resupply for me, so worth getting right (pasty, two filled rolls, crisps, coke)

Sunrise on the 'charming little' tarmac climb to Blakey Ridge
Boab

Post by Boab »

boxelder wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:46 am
Nice to meet you Boab - it was me bedding down on the other side of the hedge when you paused on the tarmac up to Rudland Rigg. I had a few hours kip there and rolled in just before 10am, after a few confused loops of Thirsk one way system and car parks :???:
Nice to met you too! I'd stopped to let a car passed, and did wonder if that torch was you or not! I think you finished just as I was chucking my bike into the boot of the car to head home. I think the route through the car parks at the end confused.com most of us... 🤣
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Great pics Andy, and nice to meet you again!
I'm not sure what would be worse - doing the old mineral line in the dark, and not seeing how far it went, or doing it in the daylight and seeing how far it went....
I had four goes at finding the riverside path in Thirsk - much to the bemusement of the town drunk sat outside the pub!
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

Definitely good putting more faces with the names off here. I was on the blue Jones(Martin) riding with David on the dark red Niner. We had a great time and got back just before 6pm.
We stopped (9.30pm ish)up on the Moor above Levisham with the Highland cows as it was David's 1st experience in a bivvy bag and we both fancied staying higher up. My 1st experience came filtering water out of moorland bog so I could make my dehydrated meal..it tasted ace and so far no repercussions :lol:
Back riding about 5am after we skipped coffee/breakfast due to lack of non bog water,we just tapped away arriving at Rosedale village just before 8am. Waiting until 8.30am for the opening of the village store was a good move,so much so food wise we both didn't buy drinks and only realised on the chimney. Needless to say,we weren't U-turning on that bad boy!
Hutton-le-Hole put that wrong right with the café being open..pasties, coffee ,cherryade & tap water, it's a great feeling being fully fueled again :-bd
Anyway, as those know who rode..it was frigging windy ,especially on Blakey Ridge & we spoke loads about the night riding lot v actually seeing what's ahead, we didn't conclude what's worse.
More grub/coffee/coke at Lord stones ,were it was still lovely weather wise.That soon changed back up on the Moor with the rain now coming in. Jackets on,jackets off for the next hour, the wind helping us miss the worst of it.
The end was getting closer and with it probably my favourite section on the singletrack in Boltby..again my thinking was this wouldn't be as good in the dark? I'm just convincing myself that riding these things nicely over two days is my preferred style :lol:
Think Stu was just locking up when we arrived as we'd not seen his text message asking how we were doing. Hats off to all involved organising this great event. It was a pleasure seeing so much new terrain for David & I. The soup at the finish was vaguely exciting, I'd been hoping there was some left for at least the last two hours!
Right, best get BB200 booked :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice to meet you (briefly) Martin, always good to see another stupid weird bike with weird bars on it at one of these things! :grin:
I definitely do enjoy burning through these things in a oner but reading abt your Sunday cafe experiences makes me quite envious...
Roll on Wales!