The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club - Sat April 29th to (Bank Holiday) Mon 1st May 2023

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club - Sat April 29th to (Bank Holiday) Mon 1st May 2023

Post by Karl »

I've taken on the task of following in Reg's and John Climbers' foot steps and have agreed to lead this years Lonely Hearts Club ride at this years Welsh Ride Thing :shock:

What is the Lonely Hearts Club?

Well, would you like to enter the Welsh Ride Thing but don't feel entirely confident in your abilities? Yes? Then perhaps join the Lonely Hearts Club.
You'll have no navigation worries or concerns about finding re-supply or overnight spots (that's all on me). My wife Cat will be there as well to keep everyone in check. If you're unsure with getting the best out of your equipment we'll be on hand to help with that.

Route will be planned when grid references are released. It won't be set in stone and there will be opportunities to put a extra in, or take a bit out. We won't be back too late Monday as it's important to eat Dee's cakes.

If that sounds like something you'd be interested in then let me know on this thread and then drop me an email to karl_booth@hotmail.com
Bearbonesnorm

Re: The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club - Sat April 29th to (Bank Holiday) Mon 1st May 2023

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

:-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
GoneCaving

Re: The Welsh Ride Thing - Lonely Hearts Club - Sat April 29th to (Bank Holiday) Mon 1st May 2023

Post by GoneCaving »

Thanks Karl! Given that this is my first bikepacking event, and being utterly unfamiliar with the area, I’ve asked to join the Lonely Hearts.
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

I’m interested and will send you an email.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Good man Karl :-bd

It's an amazing event to be part of, thanks for stepping into my shoes.

Note to anyone emailing Karl, he's currently riding and racing in Alaska and won't be able to reply straight away.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'm back from Alaska. Hoping the Welsh Ride Thing will be a tropical affair. Anyone else interested drop me an email karl_booth@hotmail.com

I'll ask some questions at the start of April to get an idea of everyone coming. Want to make sure it's a fun, friendly outing for everyone.
Karl

Post by Karl »

So far joining me on the Lonely Hearts Club are:

Paul
Matt
Duncan
Mac
Cat

It's going to be a great weekend :-bd

Anyone else wanting to join the fun bus speak up. Just over a week until the madness of route planning starts and the constant zooming in and out on Google earth of some random cow shed that may or may not have a roof or walls, or even exist.
Bolton101

Post by Bolton101 »

Looking forward to it, getting my gear together now....is it too early 🤣 (I'm Matt BTW!)
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Bolton101 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:21 pm Looking forward to it, getting my gear together now....is it too early 🤣 (I'm Matt BTW!)
I’m excited too and getting my stuff together now on basis I will need to discard lots of it so can actually pack in bike!
Paul
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Rockbus wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:00 pm I’m excited too and getting my stuff together now on basis I will need to discard lots of it so can actually pack in bike!
<removes kitchen sink and acme anvil from frame bag>
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'm excited that it's raining now so will be sunshine all bank holiday :-) Like proper sunshine not the liquid variety!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Remember folks, tomorrow is grid reference day, so expect a flurry of additional excitement. I think they're a lovely and quite diverse set this year with a little something for everyone. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:00 am diverse
In the spirit of the times are they also 'inclusive'? :grin:
Last edited by RIP on Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In the spirit of the times are they also 'inclusive'?
Wait and see but do remember that you asked :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:11 pm
In the spirit of the times are they also 'inclusive'?
Wait and see but do remember that you asked :wink:
Ooh very mysterious :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Karl

Post by Karl »

So we're probably at capacity for the Lonely Hearts Club. We are not Lonely together:

Duncan
Niall
Paul
Patrick
Matt
Malc
David
Alex
Chris
Julian
Georgia
Me
Cat

Only a few days until the fun commences. :-bd
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

:-bd

Are we having any spoilers before the weekend Karl?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Mac just for you. Here are some spoilers.

We might end up here...

Hopefully we manage to avoid this section...

And fingers crossed we end up here...

macinblack

Post by macinblack »

:lol:

Looks good - I'm sure we all want a few "character building" sections.
jesusjohn

Post by jesusjohn »

At capacity are you?

TBH I only remembered it was this weekend a day or so back, and have been frantically packing/finding stuff/planning to see how feasible it was. In my defense I have been really really busy :/

I have never been to mid Wales, I just missed out on the Winter WRT when my boiler died in a frantic effort to save me the stress.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Think that makes you the final, final person. At least when I get lost I won't be on my own :-bd
jesusjohn

Post by jesusjohn »

I made it back, managed to get out of Wales in daylight in the car. A long, long drive for me.

I might only have managed day 1 - but I only ever planned a 2 day trip. I am currently in the middle of planned DIY :)

Nice to meet you all, thanks for the guiding Karl, and the "Lanterne Rouge" work by Cat sweeping up the rear. Thanks for all putting up with me!

My viewpoints on the ride can be found here :-
https://www.facebook.com/jesus.john/pos ... YZn6EzdTml

Spoiler - "will do again". Thanks!