Cotswolds 200 (and 100 option) bikepacking event

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

substandard

Cotswolds 200 (and 100 option) bikepacking event

Post by substandard »

The Cotswolds is a brilliant playground and underrated area of the country for trails - biased i know as i live there!

I'm helping organise this years event as it wasn't actually going to go ahead tghis year for various reasons unless a couple of us got together to make it happen under the banner of mtbepics. The 200 mile entry page and event info can be found here,

1st -3rd September
https://www.mtbepicsuk.co.uk/cotswolds- ... adventure/

The route is excellent, I rode it during last years event and it really showcases the variety of trails and views we have on offer around the Cotswolds. In an aim to offer something less intimidating, or perhaps easier for some to fit into a busier life or even just a less daunting challenge, this year sees a shorter 100 mile route as well. It also starts on the Saturday rather than the 200 mile's Friday start.

2-3rd September
https://www.mtbepicsuk.co.uk/c100/

would be great to see some fellow bearboners at the event.
jameso

Re: Cotswolds 200 (and 100 option) bikepacking event

Post by jameso »

I rode the northern half of this towards the end of last summer as an out-n-back from Stroud, I enjoyed it. Good work!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Good work Highstandards... I told a couple of my buddies who I'm trying to get into the bikepacking scene... One said :o and the other said," 100 miler, should be able to complete that version in a day, at a push".

Might see you there, thanks...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

How technical is the route? I mean how skilled do you need to be to get down stuff.

I have a triathlete mate who handily lives in bath who is fit enough but [ insert tri joke here] is in noway shape or from an off road rider or a MTB [ he does not even own one] could lend him one I suppose if MTB are more suitable
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:20 pm How technical is the route? I mean how skilled do you need to be to get down stuff.

I have a triathlete mate who handily lives in bath who is fit enough but [ insert tri joke here] is in noway shape or from an off road rider or a MTB [ he does not even own one] could lend him one I suppose if MTB are more suitable
Some (minority) of descents would be a walk for someone on a gravel bike who wasn't fairly competent bike handler - rooty or loose rocks in a sunken trail bed, can be steep-but-not-DH-steep if that makes sense. They're descents I happily ride on a rigid 29er but I need to rein it in to stay in control when it gets steeper. When just out riding I tend to look for the less steep singltrack footpaths in some of those areas but this is a route/event so they're out.
It's good old-school natural XC stuff in an area that's often rooty and has some limestone rocks but is nothing like the Peak District. To me the N half felt like a good mix, a fair amount of road at times but the road riding here is great and fairly quiet.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks James. Good helpful info...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Ta never really ridden there ( well road in and out doing a Lejog)
substandard

Post by substandard »

jameso wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:52 am
Lazarus wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:20 pm How technical is the route? I mean how skilled do you need to be to get down stuff.

Some (minority) of descents would be a walk for someone on a gravel bike who wasn't fairly competent bike handler - rooty or loose rocks in a sunken trail bed, can be steep-but-not-DH-steep if that makes sense. They're descents I happily ride on a rigid 29er but I need to rein it in to stay in control when it gets steeper. When just out riding I tend to look for the less steep singltrack footpaths in some of those areas but this is a route/event so they're out.
It's good old-school natural XC stuff in an area that's often rooty and has some limestone rocks but is nothing like the Peak District. To me the N half felt like a good mix, a fair amount of road at times but the road riding here is great and fairly quiet.

Nice one James, thanks for saving me a job on feedback!

I rode and tested the proposed link joining the outbound and inbound routes for creating the 100 option yesterday, more of the same Stroud valleys pain/pleasure! Might ride the full 100 in the next few weeks if I get a window of opportunity around life commitments
jameso

Post by jameso »

substandard wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:42 pm Nice one James, thanks for saving me a job on feedback!

I rode and tested the proposed link joining the outbound and inbound routes for creating the 100 option yesterday, more of the same Stroud valleys pain/pleasure! Might ride the full 100 in the next few weeks if I get a window of opportunity around life commitments
A second opinion is always good, you'll know the area better than I do : ) I used the 100 N loop as a way to get a feel for the main trails and hills out that way, was a great intro :-bd Will do it again and the S loop too before making up some variants to explore more. It's like how the Ridgeway gave me a feel for the potential along the Chilterns / Wilts line of hills.